What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: salt water tubs  (Read 5231 times)

justmeandu

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
salt water tubs
« on: February 20, 2006, 10:13:51 am »
i"m looking at buying a salt water tub from cal spas     has anyone heard of any bad things about this system   the warranty is good   and the store has been around for a long time     maybe i'm just worried about  systems that are different  :-/

Hot Tub Forum

salt water tubs
« on: February 20, 2006, 10:13:51 am »

Ronnie526

Re: salt water tubs
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 10:35:42 am »
Just .... I'm curious.. Why are you considering salt water?  Is there an added health benefit or something?

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 11:51:50 am »
check out the "beating a dead horse" section, or do a search on calspa............then go from there.
as far as the salt water system........i was unaware they had 1. looks like i need to do some homework :-/  ;D
Marquis dealer

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 11:59:15 am »
I was also interested in switching to a salt water system, and was quickly "shot down" ;D...something about corrsion problems.  My research had shown it to be a nice setup (minimal salt is required for the chlorine conversion), and I'm very interested in further info from those here. Supposedly about 80% of new pools sold  in the U.S. have salt water systems...

Steve

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 12:09:43 pm »
steve

its true that alot of pools are using the salt water systems (yes, we build pools too) however; we are not fans of this. from what i have heard, the delivery system needs vast improvement (some still require you to pour salt into the skimmer.....150-200lbs of it.....slowly so it doesnt clog). also, there is the potential (however small) for the salt water to kill any plants/trees around the pool, such as a "tropical" design.  
i am not "the pool man" here, just passing on some things i have heard. if i am wrong about any of what i said, please feel free to correct me.
Marquis dealer

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 12:22:01 pm »
Pool systems require 2500-3000 ppm salt from what I've read; the ocean averages 35000 ppm...you can't taste the salt in a properly operated salt water pool, supposedly...not sure what effect 3000 ppm salt water would have on plants...

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 12:26:56 pm »
i have had my fill of ocean water lol.....too many days out surfing and cliff jumping.  :o nothing like getting a big mouthfull of that stuff!!!!!!!!  :-X
Marquis dealer

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 12:34:23 pm »
I can HARDLY WAIT!!  I'm heading to Monterey again this July for the MotoGP races...it was a blast last year, and I'm sure it'll be even better this year, now that we know our way around.   Think I'll pass on the surfing, though, and focus on the scenery ;)...sorry for the diversion from topic...

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 12:47:09 pm »
motoGP huh? sounds like a blast. i went to a CART race in ohio a few years ago. man those thing were hauling!!! also went to a nascar tyruck event, short track. that was a blast too.
only thing missing was a hot tub  ;)
Marquis dealer

IDW

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 11:32:36 pm »
Salt is the way to go. Do not use a chorine system but and bromine system(sodium bromide). Will reduce greatly the buildup of crap the it is used in pucks(Binders so it will reduce the time between drainings.Best of all you will never touch a 5.1 oxidizer again.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 01:59:13 am »
Huh?

Salt is the way to go. Do not use a chorine system but and bromine system(sodium bromide). Will reduce greatly the buildup of crap the it is used in pucks(Binders so it will reduce the time between drainings.Best of all you will never touch a 5.1 oxidizer again.

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 07:28:35 am »
Yes
Ditto
Huh?
What the h*** are you saying newbie

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 07:53:05 am »
I must be missing something here.  Isn't a salt water system a chlorine system?  You're converting the salt to chlorine and don't really have "salt water" in your pool (or spa).

I have also heard of severe corrosion problems with salt water systems on spas.

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 07:53:32 am »
So let me see if I understand the gist of this thread.
Salt is a sanitizer? ???

Phil
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 07:54:07 am by Phil_ »
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 09:39:44 am »
No, salt isn't a sanitizer, but it is made up of sodium and chlorine.  I am by no means an expert, but as I understand it there is a supply of salt which is broken into its constituent components by the equipment in a salt water system, one of which is chlorine, which is a sanitizer.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 09:39:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42