What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: sexually transmitted diseases  (Read 3505 times)

salt12

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
sexually transmitted diseases
« on: February 25, 2006, 10:14:19 am »
We have a relative that is coming to stay tonite, she has genital herpes, is it safe for us to all be in the hottub at the same time??? HELP!   ???

Hot Tub Forum

sexually transmitted diseases
« on: February 25, 2006, 10:14:19 am »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: sexually transmitted diseases
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 10:28:41 am »
We have a relative that is coming to stay tonite, she has genital herpes, is it safe for us to all be in the hottub at the same time??? HELP!   ???

Sounds like a fun evening! :(

Shock the spa with chlorine before and after and all will be fine. :)  Good luck!

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

salt12

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 10:37:42 am »
THANKS ALOT!MR. T, I hope your right!!!!! 8)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 10:44:35 am »
I hope your right!!!!! 8)

Me too.

I've never been made aware of anyone catching a communicable disease in any of our spas.  I don't know if any other dealers have had different experiences but hopefully some of them will chime in.

Ya'll have a good time. :)

Terminator

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 11:01:21 am »
I would think Term is correct...I don't recall ever hearing horror stories about wet testing tubs at a dealer giving anyone STDs....you COULD call your local clinic though, see if you can get a medical professional's opinion, though.

Best of luck!
RIP C-Rod

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 11:16:26 am »

I will admit that ol' Doc Term is very knowledgeable about spas and guns but..... the consequences of being wrong would force me to ask a real Medical Doctor.
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 11:23:28 am »
I will admit that ol' Doc Term is very knowledgeable about spas and guns but..... the consequences of being wrong would force me to ask a real Medical Doctor.

I agree! AND I would soak in chlorine - put in about 4 PPM before you all get in and depending on how long you soak (over 20 min) - I would add some more to be safe.

Chlorine is a wonderful product that kills almost any "bug"

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2006, 11:29:16 am »
Vinny and Term are both correct.  To my knowledge no communicable diseases have been passed in properly treated spas or pools.  Imagine hotel spas you may have been in! :-/
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 11:55:16 am »
Listen to what everyone else says.  I wouldn't even take advice from me... :(

Terminator M.D.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 12:22:52 pm »
according to herpes.org ;

This chance of contracting a herpes infection when living in a non-sexual relationship with a person with genital herpes (or oral herpes for that matter) is vanishingly small. The herpes virus has to actually enter the body of another person through a broken area of the skin. The virus will not enter through intact skin. So, touching the blister fluid from a herpes infection with the tip of a finger would not transmit the infection directly to the finger, for example. On the other hand, if the finger that had touched the blister fluid was then used to scratch an itch on the eyelid before being washed with soap and water, for example, the infection could, in fact, be transmitted to the eyelid, and possibly into the eye, if the person scratched hard enough to create a tiny, microscopic tear in the skin.

The chlorine that is in pools, hot tubs, and shower water kills virus. Soap of course instantly kills virus. One can find occasional reports of people who claim that they have contracted herpes from a hot tub. But, such a case must be extremely rare. Cases of facial herpes have been reported to have been transmitted during rugby playing, presumably because of an infected player transmitting it to other players.

The infected person should be encouraged to use good sense and to not place others at risk when symptoms are obvious. Infected persons should understand their responsibility to clean infected areas on their bodies well with soap and water and to refrain from contacting common household areas with the infected part of their bodies when active infection is present. At a time when they have an active infection on the genitalia, if they were to sit on a toilet seat that is used by others, it would be common courtesy to clean the toilet seat after use with either alcohol or soap and water on a clean cloth and then set the cloth aside to be laundered in a hot wash.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006, 12:25:44 pm »
The only real doctor on the forum (well, besides Dr. prwnap) comes through in the clutch!

Terminator

salt12

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2006, 12:43:13 pm »
THANK YOU to the "TERM"and everyone else for the excellant information! I appreciate the help, could not get ahold of health unit today!     Rob in Canada.......  ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2006, 12:43:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42