What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Marquis spa monitor..haunted???  (Read 6333 times)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Marquis spa monitor..haunted???
« on: February 24, 2006, 12:29:55 pm »
I love my spa monitor. I got it as a Christmas gift from my sister as it was not standard on my 05 Epic.  However...I am getting some kind of weird interference.
Does anyone know anything about IR or different raido frequencies?  The monitor will beep when it loses signal with the spa. It must monitor the spa for temp to alert you to drop in temp or problems. My monitor will lose contact very often, but always in the middle of the night. Not in the day...So it will beep and when I check, the temp is fine but the  display  has SPA, so it has lost
the signal from the spa. I moved the monitor to just inside of my door (approx 5 -6 feet from the spa). Last night, I got up at approx 2 am (family emergency) and the light to the spa was on. This is the third time that has happened. These weird things only happen at night and the monitor does all of the functions that it is supposed from the house (temperature change, turn on lights). I am over 100 feet away from the nearest neighbor, so it shouldn't pick up interference from them. I called Verizon to see if my FIOS line could do it, they said no, I removed all remote controls for lights. I don't know what is going on, but I am sure it has to do with something on the same frequency as the remote. Anybody have any ideas?  ??? :-/
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

Marquis spa monitor..haunted???
« on: February 24, 2006, 12:29:55 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Marquis spa monitor..haunted???
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 12:55:51 pm »
I love my spa monitor. I got it as a Christmas gift from my sister as it was not standard on my 05 Epic.  However...I am getting some kind of weird interference.
Does anyone know anything about IR or different raido frequencies?  The monitor will beep when it loses signal with the spa. It must monitor the spa for temp to alert you to drop in temp or problems. My monitor will lose contact very often, but always in the middle of the night. Not in the day...So it will beep and when I check, the temp is fine but the  display  has SPA, so it has lost
the signal from the spa. I moved the monitor to just inside of my door (approx 5 -6 feet from the spa). Last night, I got up at approx 2 am (family emergency) and the light to the spa was on. This is the third time that has happened. These weird things only happen at night and the monitor does all of the functions that it is supposed from the house (temperature change, turn on lights). I am over 100 feet away from the nearest neighbor, so it shouldn't pick up interference from them. I called Verizon to see if my FIOS line could do it, they said no, I removed all remote controls for lights. I don't know what is going on, but I am sure it has to do with something on the same frequency as the remote. Anybody have any ideas?  ??? :-/

Huh. It could be picking up a signal from another RF unit (garage door opener, or possibley someone's home alarm or even a neoigbhor who has a pool or spa remote).  Dose the unit allow you to select another frequency (check your User manual)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 12:57:54 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

spiman

• Tub is in!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 12:56:42 pm »
Or the spa monster :o
Have at it!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 01:33:19 pm »
Spiman, do you remember me asking you what your name meant?  That's why...this is really driving me nuts to the point of wondering if someone is spying on me!!
Drew, my neighbors are over 100 feet away from me so I doubt, they could have legitimate interference from their houses. The garage doors are a possibility, but they are about 25 feet away (and one level down) from the monitor. I may pull the plug on them next, because if I understand correctly, they tumble the signals so that they can't be copied or picked up by another garage door opener (security feature). The real perplexing thing is that this happens only at night. ... ???

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 01:38:48 pm »
do you have an alarm system or anything else that re-sets itself at night? Something that runs like the water softener schedule, so while you sleep it does it's "dirty work" just to be ready for you?
Are the batteries good? Have you ticked off the partier neighbors a block down, so that their kid now bails past your house at 2am pushing the tv/garage door remote just to try and freak you out? Is there someone that exits the tub 5 minutes before the alarm goes off, and you just miss seeing the dripping wet homeless guy making for your bushes?
Is this the end for our heroes? Will they be turned into.....BAT SOUP?
Tune in and find out! Same bat time.....same bat channel!
nananananananananananananaaaaa- BAT MANNNNNNNNNN
RIP C-Rod

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 01:41:51 pm »
Spiman, do you remember me asking you what your name meant?  That's why...this is really driving me nuts to the point of wondering if someone is spying on me!!
Drew, my neighbors are over 100 feet away from me so I doubt, they could have legitimate interference from their houses. The garage doors are a possibility, but they are about 25 feet away (and one level down) from the monitor. I may pull the plug on them next, because if I understand correctly, they tumble the signals so that they can't be copied or picked up by another garage door opener (security feature). The real perplexing thing is that this happens only at night. ... ???

100 ft, depending on the source is still quite possible.   Did you check the Manual to see if you could select a different freq?
07 Caldera Geneva

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 01:42:32 pm »
Bonibelle,

The outside spa light mysteriously turning itself on may be a separate issue. It might be unrelated to your other problems with the monitor.
I don't have the spa monitor on my '05 Reward but I have many times found the spa light on for no reason.
I have verified that kids have not accidentally turned it on. I have also checked that I or my wife have left it turned on after using the spa. That's unlikely as we never use the lights anyway. We prefer just the lights from the street.

At first, I thought it was the cover accidentally putting pressure on the floating remote. I removed the remote and left it in the house for a few days but the outside spa light would continue to mysteriously turn itself on. It's happened at least a dozen times that we're aware of. I'm thinking it probably has happened other times assuming  if it turns itself on, it will turn itself off as well.

I've been debating calling my local dealer but just haven't gotten around to it. ("You say your spa lights turn on all by itself? Yeah, right.") Now I think I will call him since I'm not the only one with this problem.

Thanks for mentioning it! :D
Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 01:44:05 pm »
Do me a favor, open your cabinet door and look at the send/recive unit in the equipment bay. the box is gray with a cord going into the right side of the box. You should have a gray arrow on the box, we slide the cord behind the pack and put the box on top of the pack with the arrow facing up.

If may only happen at night because the filter cycle is kicking in then. I would check your plug-in connection and also make sure the feed wire for the send/recive unit is not crimped in the strain relife bracket.

Feel free to PM me with your phone # and I will walk you through testing and looking at it.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 01:47:17 pm »
Bonibelle,

The outside spa light mysteriously turning itself on may be a separate issue. It might be unrelated to your other problems with the monitor.
I don't have the spa monitor on my '05 Reward but I have many times found the spa light on for no reason.
I have verified that kids have not accidentally turned it on. I have also checked that I or my wife have left it turned on after using the spa. That's unlikely as we never use the lights anyway. We prefer just the lights from the street.

At first, I thought it was the cover accidentally putting pressure on the floating remote. I removed the remote and left it in the house for a few days but the outside spa light would continue to mysteriously turn itself on. It's happened at least a dozen times that we're aware of. I'm thinking it probably has happened other times assuming  if it turns itself on, it will turn itself off as well.

I've been debating calling my local dealer but just haven't gotten around to it. ("You say your spa lights turn on all by itself? Yeah, right.") Now I think I will call him since I'm not the only one with this problem.

Thanks for mentioning it! :D
Phil

Phil,
You can program the control on the 05 to turn the light on at a set time. I never read the book when I put mine in and the same thing was happening. When I called the factory the chastised me for not reading the book, laughed at me and told me how to change the program.

I'll bet you've got the same issue... It's a feature not a problem

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 02:09:25 pm »
If may only happen at night because the filter cycle is kicking in then. I would check your plug-in connection and also make sure the feed wire for the send/recive unit is not crimped in the strain relife bracket.

I ran into an issue a while back obn a few spas where the spa kept resetting to the temp/filter default when the pump came on (or so it seemed). What we finally found was when the pump would kick on for filtering the uv ozonator would in turn come on as expected which was directly next to the spa control box. This uv ozonator (an inexpensive model) was causing interference with the control box when it kicked on if it was directly next to the box. If I moved the ozonator a foot away all problems solved (say this multiple times with that UV ozonator/box combination).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 02:21:41 pm »
Stuart,
I don't care what Bonibelle says about you, ;) You are ALL RIGHT!
Just like you said, its on page 35 of the '05 Marquis Owner's manual. I remember having read it but it didn't really make an impression on me at the time.

Here it is in case anyone's too lazy to look it up:

Spa Light:
Press SETTING pad to enter spa light programming mode. The light icon will begin flashing at the bottom of the panel display. “Start time” will be shown in the upper left hand corner of the panel display and the hour will begin  flashing. Follow above procedure to set the correct hour and minutes. Press the SETTING pad again and “end time” will be shown in the upper left corner of the panel display and the hour will begin flashing. Follow above procedure to set the correct hour and minutes. Press the CLOCK pad to exit the programming mode.

Thanks for saving me from sounding like an idiot to my dealer. :-[
 - You'll notice I don't mind looking like an idiot on this forum! :O

Phil

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 02:34:51 pm »
 Hey idiots love company.... believe me, I feel like the biggest idiot!  My tub wasn't filtering because "someone" must have screwed up the filter cycles...the lights are turning on and off and probably were set by the same "someone" trying to turn the waterfall light on....It was easy for me to blame my hubby, but honestly, I probably had a hand in all this mess somehow. Hey Marquis..don't give us old folks so dang many buttons....especially me, as I have lost most of mine  :-[ Should have let the kids set my tub up!!! ;D

spiman

• Tub is in!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 02:47:30 pm »

I was just suggesting it could be a spa monster.........
I don't have my tub yet, but I live by a creek and I have seen the creek monster so I was just assuming there could also be a spa monster...................

As far as the spying goes, you will have to be a little more address specific or PM me................. ;) ;D
Have at it!

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 02:56:29 pm »
...Hey Marquis..don't give us old folks so dang many buttons....especially me, as I have lost most of mine  :-[ Should have let the kids set my tub up!!! ;D

Bonibelle,
I agree. The control panel could be a lot clearer though I don't think Marquis is to blame - they buy the control panel from a 3rd party (Balboa, I think). These engineers need to start testing their controls with real people instead of other engineers who already understand their secret code an pictures.
Balboa - there's nothing wrong with plain English! Feel free to use it. And clearer, brighter, easier to read control panels, too.

Phil

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 03:08:35 pm »
Right On, Phil...In general electronics have become more programer friendly (like programing VCRs etc) You would think they would make programing something like this, and verifying that it is doing what you think it is doing, simpler. (Especially, when many  of the buyers are over 30 years old!)...BY the way Phil, I just found a hidden video game in my control panel..I think it's called Squash the Spa Frog or something like that..but you have to look carefully, it's not in the book! ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 03:08:35 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42