What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: High ALK But Good PH  (Read 4399 times)

Neohcouple

High ALK But Good PH
« on: February 16, 2006, 09:28:10 pm »
My PH is perfect at about 7.6.  However, my ALK is close to 300.  Any suggestions on lowering the ALK without lowering the PH.   I'm afraid if I use PH down which should bring the ALK down, it will also cause the PH to come down.  

I use chlorine for my HS tub along with an ozonator.  

Hot Tub Forum

High ALK But Good PH
« on: February 16, 2006, 09:28:10 pm »

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
Re: High ALK But Good PH
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 11:27:55 pm »
Oh, boy......I've read a lot of info on this sort of thing.....I don't think throwing a sea bass into the tub would help....I see there's a product to INCREASE alk, but I didn't see something to lower it.....

Anyone?
RIP C-Rod

Nitlion15

• Be vewry vewry quiet, I'm hunting Spa's.....
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 08:33:42 am »
I've got a very similar problem.  I've got high Alk and a PH about 7.2.  I was concerned about using PH down to lower Alk.

Dealers and Hot Tub Guru's, please help us newbie neophytes...... We are  ??? :-/

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 09:02:56 am »
My tap water is fine Ph wise, but way high, over 400, for alk.  So I have to add about 20 ounces or so of Ph decreaser when I refill the spa.  Yes, it does lower the Ph along with the alk., so then I just add a little Ph increase to push the Ph back up.

Using bromine and MPS tends to drift both down over time, so I have to add small amounts of Ph increase and or alk increaser over time.  

There is Ph increaser, which increases Ph, and Ph decreaser, which decreases both alk and Ph.
And there is alk increaser.  
I have not see a product specifically sold as alk decreaser.  

Alk increaser is sodium bicarbonate, which is exactly what baking soda is.  So that's what I use.

Brewman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 10:34:39 am »
Trying using an ounce of White Vinegar. It will lower your PH a little, but the alk even more.  You might have to settle for the PH in the low range of acceptable to get the alk at the high end.  A Ph of 7.2 is still good.  How old is the water?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 10:35:43 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 10:39:06 am »
I wonder what'd happen if you put vinegar and baking soda into the spa together?  
I seem to recall Mr. Wizzard (remember his show?) doing this once- result was rather interesting.

(Not that you'd add those quantities to the spa)
Brewman

cappykat

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 10:56:04 am »
How often should a refill be done?

I use bromine and MPS.  I forgot to add the shock one week and the next time I checked the ph and alk were very low.  I got them back up by adding 3 oz of ph up and 3 oz of baking soda.  Then I added 2.5 oz of mps.  Now the bromine level is in the high range.

2005 Marquis Epic

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 11:42:27 am »
I change my water about 3 or 4 times per year.  
That's just my rule of thumb, it can vary based on frequency of use, and other factors.  You'll know when it's time- water isn't quite as sparkly clean, gets harder to balance, etc...  

It can be challenging to get bromine to level itself out.
I've noticed the same thing- Shocking shoots up the reading on the bromine level.  I just pull the floater for a day or two and it drops a bit.  So will using the spa- just don't get in if the reading is super high, I've been told.

That's why I intend to switch over to dichlor on my next fill- based on what I've read here, dichlor users seem to have the easiest time keeping their water maintained.

Brewman

cappykat

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 01:01:27 pm »
Brewman...I've got 5 bromine cartridges to use and then I'm going to consider doing the same.  So with dichlor do you just put it in a floater?  When you change you'll have to let me know what you're doing and how it is.
2005 Marquis Epic

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 01:28:39 pm »
I have also decided to give dichlor a try on my next fill.  I am doing this mainly because of the itching that I am experiencing at night after a soak before bed, even after a long shower.

I currently use a bromine floater but am under the impression with dichlor, it's simply a teaspoon after each use then it is barely noticeable next use, right??
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 01:33:37 pm by orlandoguy »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 01:45:55 pm »
Brewman...I've got 5 bromine cartridges to use and then I'm going to consider doing the same.  So with dichlor do you just put it in a floater?  When you change you'll have to let me know what you're doing and how it is.

My bromine routine is similar- except that I the bromine I use looks more like chunks of broken chalk, vs the tablets, but I still use a floater.  

Dichlor isn't dispensed with a floater- it's granular, and you'd measure out the desired quantity and add it to the water.  Make sure you don't use chlorine pucks (trichlor), that's for swimming pools, and will often void a spa warranty.  

From what I've read, there are a couple ways to administer to a dichlor tub- I'm gravitating to the method referred to as "Vermonter's" method, named I think, for a someone who contributes to Doc's website.
In fact, his routine can be accessed from Doc's.  
It involves dosing the spa after use, allowing the chlorine to be at a low level when you actually use the spa.  With dichlor dosing in between if you don't use the spa regularly.  Still need to use either MPS or dichlor for shock.  

I'll certainly let you know how it goes.  I'll be changing my water as soon as the weather starts to warm up.
Right now it's below zero- bleech. ( Guess we're paying for that warm January we got away with.)

Brewman

cappykat

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 03:18:55 pm »
We don't use our tub regularly.  Maybe 2 times a week and sometimes not even that.  The thing with the cartridge is I never know when to change it.  Instructions say 2-3 weeks but if I'm not using the tub regularly then I can't believe it's that often.  I haven't changed it since 2/21 and I had a high bromine reading just Wednesday??  

So if I'm not using everyday and I switch to dichlor, what would my dosing schedule be?  I shock once a week with mps now...I guess I would continue to do that and just dose with dichlor after we use the tub?  
2005 Marquis Epic

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 03:34:57 pm »
Cappy, we (at least my hubby) use the tub very often but I also have problems with that darn frog and knowing when to change it. It's hard to tell if it is empty even when you fish it out. Then the bromine goes flying up...I was thinking of switching too but after talking to my dealer, decided to stick it out a while longer. Last week I started adding Spa perfect (I think Stuart mentioned it on here too). I use it in my pool (pool perfect) and the family swears that it conditions the water and it feels silky. I really believe it helps the spa too. I added the second dose yesterday and I feel the difference. The water doesn't seem to dry my skin as much.  I don't get that rough groaty feeling when my hair gets wet either. (I really don't like the spa water in my hair) Well see....
Support your dealer so they can support you!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 05:09:46 pm »
In case I didn't stress the point enough, there is no perfect PH.  7.2 is just as perfect as 7.6   I call 7.2-7.6 the "ideal range"   If you can lower your PH to 7.2 and have the Alk at a more reasonable number then you win.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

MarKee

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 10:07:08 pm »
Chlorine tends to work better in lower temperatures, for instance pools.  Chlorine will off gas at 98 degrees, bromine off gasses at a much higher temperature.  Chlorine works but you will probably notice more of a smell in the spa.  Some people are also allergic to chlorine.  Keep in mind you will rarely have "perfect" chemistry in your water, you just don't want the pH or alkalinity to be too far off the scale in either direction.  If you constantly test it and try adjusting it, you will drive yourself crazy.  Test and adjust it once a week.

Marquis owners using SpaFrog cartridges:  In the next few months your dealer will be selling a new bromine cartridge that will last longer, it will be green.  The price should be fairly similar to the yellow ones, so it will be a nice improvement to the system.    

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 10:07:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42