What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cleaning Tri-x filters  (Read 4223 times)

mxw128

• Newbie with an 05 Vanguard
Cleaning Tri-x filters
« on: February 21, 2006, 10:16:15 am »
Can (or should) I use filter cleaner (either the spray or soak kind) on Tri-X filters?   Is the dishwasher by itself "good enough"?  

Hot Tub Forum

Cleaning Tri-x filters
« on: February 21, 2006, 10:16:15 am »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Cleaning Tri-x filters
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 10:21:01 am »
You should still use the filter cleaner and degreaser every 2-3 months to break up oils, lotions, and cosmetics.  Treat them as you would a regular filter and they'll do just fine and last a long time.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

mxw128

• Newbie with an 05 Vanguard
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 04:35:10 pm »
Thanks terminator.  I think I really need to pick up a stunt filter to swap into the tub as I clean each one.  Letting them each soak for 4 hours each will take a long time.  

Do you reuse the same solution for all of your filters per cleaning, or mix a fresh batch for each?  

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 04:57:47 pm »
I don't using anything on mine but water.  I rinse them with the hose once a week and at water changes they go into the dishwasher.   No cleaner has ever touched them and they look like new after one year of use.

Bill

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 06:15:19 pm »
I've had trouble rinsing the filter cleaner out of the Tri-X filters.  Last time I put all 5 in the dishwasher (used a spare paper filter on the circulator pump) and ran it with a little dishwasher detergent.  I then ran the dishwasher 1 more time to make sure that they were rinsed.  Came out lile new and no suds!

BTW if you don't use the tub while you're cleaning the filters you only need to have a filter on the circulator pump(gray pipe).

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 09:30:17 pm »
the Grandee comes with a snotload of filters (5 total), I was told as far as cleaning the tri-x to use something like 1 cup of dish washer detergent (cascade type, NOT dawn sudsy stuff) in 5 gallons of water....and there was something about using an acid/water mix to use every couple/few cleanings besides.....?
RIP C-Rod

Brookenstein

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 10:58:29 pm »
Wow... I'm surprised that people use (or are told to use) dishwasher detergent.  I thought it said in the manual (and I'm too tired to go check) just to use the dishwasher with no detergent.  I rinse mine with the hose every 2 weeks or so and have used the dishwasher twice so far.  When I changed the water I used spray on cleaner, rinsed them, then put them in the dishwasher.  The dishwasher was very sudsy, so I rinsed again, then dishwasher, then put them back on.  All is good.

Tubaholic

• HS Grandee Indoors
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 11:06:20 pm »
 I hose off my Tri-X filters every couple a weeks and when I change the water I do the spray cleaner from the HS dealer. Also I have found to keep the dishwasher from getting to sudsy I put a little anti-foam in there and I never add any soap (per the instructions that came with my tub) and they come out looking new.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 08:53:33 am »
the info I was given wasn't for a dishwasher....just the detergent (the non foaming stuff) and water in a 5 gallon bucket. then rinse, rinse, rinse......
RIP C-Rod

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 11:21:33 am »
the info I was given wasn't for a dishwasher....just the detergent (the non foaming stuff) and water in a 5 gallon bucket. then rinse, rinse, rinse......

If you're really going to use a little detergent you need to add teh word "rinse" about 5 more times.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 11:21:33 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42