What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Wiring for a hot tub  (Read 6629 times)

clayclay

• HOT TUB!!!!!
Wiring for a hot tub
« on: February 20, 2006, 10:16:54 pm »
I just started a search for my 1st hot tub last weekend, and boy what an adventure it is. I have talked to the Jazuzzi person. His best pitch was the hard plastic bottom of the hot tub. Sundance had their heating coil element that would last until eternity, etc, etc. Going next weekent to look at CalSpas.

My question is since i am a total novice to the wiring, what do i have to do? Please help.

Thanks

clay

Hot Tub Forum

Wiring for a hot tub
« on: February 20, 2006, 10:16:54 pm »

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
Re: Wiring for a hot tub
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 10:19:28 pm »
Lots of good info the forum if you do a search, but without a doubt pay someone who knows what they are doing and have it done right the first time.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 12:29:33 am »
I would think that it's required to have a certified electrician mess with the wiring, regardless of how novice/professional you are...ask the sales people at the tub stores in your area to be sure.
I read a post somewhere on here about a guy that had a neighbor that was hooking his tub up.....and every time he threw the switch blacked out his house...probably VERY frustrating for the neighbor, but cheap entertainment for the neighborhood. ;)
RIP C-Rod

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 07:39:13 am »
Your local code will dictate wiring.  You need to research that and follow it.  Whether you do it yourself or hire someone will depend on your skill level.

It is important to find out the max amperage requirement (probably 240volt 60 amp) for your tub and install it.  Anything less will automatically limit tub performance.

As for selection, seach for posts by Duffman.  He did extensive testing last year while looking for his tub and shared it with us on a web site.  Some of the info may be a little bit dated but it will give you a good idea of the thought process he used, which I thought was pretty good.

Find a good dealer who sells a tub that fits your needs then negotiate a fair price.  

Finally, follow their directions closely regarding tub set up and maintenance.  You will read about a lot of different methods to maintain the tub.  Sone  work, some don't.  The goal is a clean balanced tub with minimum effort.  I learned the hard way.
[size=32]K.I.S.S.[/u][/size][/color][/i]
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 08:26:06 am »
In most localities residential wiring can be done by the homeowner.  Doing spa wiring isn't a good place to learn- the codes for pools and spas can be confusing.
And code enforcement and inspections are as much an art as a science- very open to interpretaton.
Wiring done on rented property or commercial property usually must be done by someone with a license.
If you do this yourself, make sure to get the required permits and inspections.  

That said, doing your own wiring can save a considerable amount of money.  Your challenge is to learn how.  

Do you know anyone who could teach you the basics?
If you have no or little experience, it's nothing you'd want to learn just by reading.   And the NEC book itself is pretty useless for those who aren't in the trade- there are many books and courses for the professionals just on the topic of interpreting code.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do.  
But know that DIY is possilbe unless prohibited in your locale.  
Brewman

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 09:03:43 am »
It's funny how you find the people you need to contact just by mentioning your latest project to people you know. We frequent a local petstore in town, and have a great rapport with the employees and owners. I mentioned to the one girl that we're getting a hot tub, and that we need to get an electrician in....turns out her fiancee is a certified electrician, has installed wiring for tubs before, and is able and willing to cut us a bit of a price deal. It ALSO turns out that he's familiar with laying concrete, and will do that for us for yet another discount.....

All this we found because we mentioned the work we need done....
"If you don't ask, don't expect someone else to offer."
RIP C-Rod

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 10:25:55 am »
Pick your tub first.  Different spas come with different requirements; from 110v 15 amp to 220v 60 amp.

Final hook ups also vary depending on the spa and manufacturer from 110 plug in to 3, 4 or more wire hardwire.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 10:26:25 am »
Ask for a Pre-Delivery Guide from the dealers that carry whatever spa you may be interested in.  It should have all of the electrical specs contained therein.

Good luck with your search and remember, it's supposed to be fun! :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 10:36:07 am »
as others have stated, the details will vary slightly from tub to tub.

In a nutshell, as a consumer, you will be responsible for providing all the wiring and hook up to the tub.  

This means a Dedicatd 240v gfci  to a weather proof outside box and running the wiring cable from this box to the actuall tub. Some folks bury thier lines, others have them wraped in sealtite and just have a whip from the box to the tub.

Some manufactures will supply the box and circuit breakers, some wont.

I'd also suggest running a 110v gfci  line to your outside box when installing the 240.    This can come in handy for a bunch of things and is very cheap to do when installing the 240.

i'd suggest hiring a licensed electirican.   After spending several thousand on a new tub and putting in a foundation, saveing a couple of hundred bucks here isn't worht the risk to you, your tub and home.

Good luck.  :)
07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 11:55:32 am »
as others have stated, the details will vary slightly from tub to tub.

I'd also suggest running a 110v gfci  line to your outside box when installing the 240.    This can come in handy for a bunch of things and is very cheap to do when installing the 240.

Good luck.  :)

If the current NEC code is being enforced, there may be a requirement for this.  My inspector looked for a GFI protected outlet- had to be, IIRC, at least 10' from the spa but no farther than 20'.   Luckily, I already had one within the required zone, but if I hadn't, I'd have had one thing to deal with.

Brewman

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 11:59:24 am »

If the current NEC code is being enforced, there may be a requirement for this.  My inspector looked for a GFI protected outlet- had to be, IIRC, at least 10' from the spa but no farther than 20'.   Luckily, I already had one within the required zone, but if I hadn't, I'd have had one thing to deal with.

Why would there be a requirement to do this?

(oh...and just for the sake of posting here, lets Pretend I don't know a lot about wiriing, just so the other folks here can flollow us.  :)  )
07 Caldera Geneva

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 12:44:56 pm »
all i am doing is agreeing with what others have said.

1) search the site about manufacturers.....weigh pros/cons
2) ask the dealers about hook up requierments
3) ask the dealer if they refer electricians (or open the yellow pages) and ask about getting a quote. some/most will do this for free.
4) wet test. try out each seat. relax, but "study" how the jets hit you. you can find out alot about a tub by soaking in it.
5) i am done telling you what everyone else has said  ;D
Marquis dealer

tootsie

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 12:54:11 pm »
when we did ours, we got a material list from the electrician and bought our own, that saved us some money on the electrical side of the installation, as most electricians upcharge materials.

also, on the code side--here, it states the shut off  box has to be within view of the hot tub too.

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 01:59:26 pm »

Why would there be a requirement to do this?

(oh...and just for the sake of posting here, lets Pretend I don't know a lot about wiriing, just so the other folks here can flollow us.  :)  )

The reasoning is that if you have an GFCI outlet nearby you're less likely to run an extension cord from an unprotected outlet inside the house.  That's why it's called a "convenience" outlet.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 02:00:29 pm by tonyp »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 06:14:47 pm »
The reasoning is that if you have an GFCI outlet nearby you're less likely to run an extension cord from an unprotected outlet inside the house.  That's why it's called a "convenience" outlet.

That's about what I'd have expected.  My electrical inspector was more interested in telling me what I needed than why I needed it.  Was a building boom going on in our city at the time and he was pretty efficient about getting in, inspecting, and getting out.

Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 06:14:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42