What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Costco Spa  (Read 4988 times)

Snyper

Costco Spa
« on: February 15, 2006, 03:51:14 pm »
Just a note of caution. A neighbor of mine bought a Costco branded hot tub about 5 months ago. Did so based on what he thought was nice features vs price.

First, he had to pay someone to deliver and set up. That set him back about $400.

Now he is having pump AND heat issues. Costco has given him the run around and not one service company he has called is willing to work on the hot tub.

All of a sudden, his "cost savings" and going to cost him big.

Hot Tub Forum

Costco Spa
« on: February 15, 2006, 03:51:14 pm »

J._McD

Re: Costco Spa
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 04:13:18 pm »
And shopping consumers think we, the dealers, are sour grapes about Big Box Discount Stores.  If I were him I would return the spa under the satisfaction guarantee and cut his losses.

The big box products are made and sold for the low price, NOT the quality aspect of of the product content NOR for the warranty OR the lack of service.  It is all in the price you pay or choose to not pay.

But, the shopper sees the price compared to the sticker shock he sees at dealer stores and makes the judgement call they all look alike so they are all the same, except dealers are making a killing on us naieve shoppers.  NOT TRUE, we pay as much or even more than you pay at Sam's, Home Depot, CostCo, and that is because we bu;y a DIFFERENT product and then deliver it, service it, and attend to the customer needs.

This is a specialty product, not a lawn mower.  It PAYS to have a dealer when needed.  The conquest of a low price is often offset by the need for service and the loss of use when the differences are eventually realized.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 04:16:41 pm »
I second the suggestion to return the sucker.
I bet that liberal return policy doesn't include sending a truck out to pick it up at the curb, though.  

Brewman

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 05:02:55 pm »
and if costco doesn't want to take it back....send all the neighborhood  ladies that are
experiencing menopause, pms, bitter divorces, etc over to the store to speak with a manager....
RIP C-Rod

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 10:03:13 pm »
Costco pretty much has to take it back, per their published policy.  Not so sure that they'll go and get it, though.
Brewman

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 10:32:45 pm »
I love Costco because of their life long return policy. I buy almost everything from Costco but I would never buy a spa from them. Tell your friend to take it back before they change their policy. If he can't afford a new name brand spa perhaps he can look for a used one.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Snyper

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 12:17:25 am »
I spoke with him this evening. He sold it to a guy at work, taking a $2000 loss in the process. He is now going to take Friday off work and go to the local Marquis dealer and buy one from them.

He learned his lesson the hard way, but with the kind of money he makes, it surprised me that he went the Costco way in the first place.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 12:34:41 am »
Tell your friend to wet test the Epic. He will love it.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 12:52:48 am »
He is an idiot.  If he really was having problems, rather than take a $2K loss, he should have returned it, even if it meant paying freight back which would have been substantially less than his loss.  Costco invariably does the right thing.

Don't blame Costco.  I have yet to see any hidden disclaimers regarding pricing or warranties.  I can't believe delivery charges weren't explained.

Costco is the anti-WalMart/SAMS.  Better quality, similar if a bit higher pricing and a well paid and cared for work force.  We are there frequently.  Like all warehouse clubs, you have to shop around to make sure the deal you are getting is a deal.  But given their corporate philosophy, you usually don't lose.  

Snyper

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 01:21:56 am »
He is an idiot.  If he really was having problems, rather than take a $2K loss, he should have returned it, even if it meant paying freight back which would have been substantially less than his loss.  Costco invariably does the right thing.

Don't blame Costco.  I have yet to see any hidden disclaimers regarding pricing or warranties.  I can't believe delivery charges weren't explained.

Costco is the anti-WalMart/SAMS.  Better quality, similar if a bit higher pricing and a well paid and cared for work force.  We are there frequently.  Like all warehouse clubs, you have to shop around to make sure the deal you are getting is a deal.  But given their corporate philosophy, you usually don't lose.  

Idiot? Perhaps.

Dumb, no doubt.

Like I said, between his wife and himself, they make upwards of $300,000 a year, so why he even skimped in the first place is a mystery. He has an extended size L shaped pool with full pool house in his backyard, so his actions are starnge.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 07:18:05 am »
Now, now....before he does that, tell him I can give him a GREAT deal on an almost new tub with NO heat issues.....very cheap! I'll make him a deal he can't refuse....
Here's a pic:
RIP C-Rod

kvnlaw

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 12:24:08 pm »
I know I am a little late chiming in on this. I have to signs hung above my desk in plain view of all customers who walk in my showroom.

Sign #1: Excellence always endures..it remains long after cost is forgotten.

Sign #2: The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low prices has disappeared.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 12:24:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42