What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New direction...wish I were tactful...  (Read 10707 times)

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
New direction...wish I were tactful...
« on: February 16, 2006, 10:11:51 pm »
Okay, after all the FINE advice I've read on this site....I've gotten a little curious. So I checked around, and lo and behold....I found another spa dealer within 10 miles of my house! How'd I miss that one before?? Anyhow...I called, got this nice girl on the phone, asked if they were open today?? (we got a foot of snow since last night up this way), she said that she and other employees were all debating on staying or bailing for the day. I asked about spas that they carried...they carry.....Jacuzzi, Tiger River and Hot Springs....well, I'll be dipped in dog......nevermind. So she told me if I wanted to come down, just let her know a solid 'yes', and they'd stay open just for little old me. I had to consult with the husband, and called back in a few minutes to let her know that YES we would come in. She had their spa tech go out and plow out their driveway, because the city plowboy came through and buried the drive.....she wanted to be sure we could get in! WOW.....So now I'm WAY curious....we went down, and I wasn't particularly impressed with the showroom, but they DID have 2 aboveground pools set up, so that takes a little room....they've also got several older hot tubs taking up room, so only had 3 (?) NEW tubs. The Grandee, the J345 and the Sovereign. They also had a 2004 J375 setup with water in it, and only about 69 degrees *BRRRRRRR*
She excused herself for a minute, grabbed her BABY (tiny little thing, looked sorta like Yoda (SHE said that first, wasn't MY observation))....and proceeded to tell me everything she and their tech could about the tubs they had, what was in the brochure, etc. I asked if they could take the front panel off on the J375, and *POOF* done. I took my boots off, sat in a few tubs.....checked out the working model's lights, waterfalls, jets, seating, depth, etc....
They made us feel VERY comfortable and welcome.. I told her I was sorry for making her stay late when she had her baby to care for, she brushed that concern off, and SMILED....omg, they actually smile BEFORE you sign a check here!!!!
Here's where the wish for tact comes in.....I've got a couple hundred down on the Great Lakes tub to hold it....but the couple that I THINK owns the place couldn't be bothered to take the front panel off for me (I'd like to see that it doesn't look like things are falling apart, even if I don't know what everything does...), even after being asked TWICE. I feel like I'm intruding on the woman's time when I'm there....just a generally uncomfortable feeling.
Now I know that the GL dealer will NOT be pleased when I go in and say "I've changed my mind", however I feel that finding a dealer that's not just after the almighty dollar is SUCH a relief.....that I'd be willing to lose the downpayment just to have the peace of mind.
Is there a tactful way to do this? I mean, I love the feel of the Leelanau, but I think I could love one of the other tubs as much if not more, knowing the dealer would be there for us if we needed them at a later date, and didn't have to "pencil us in".
*patiently awating the flame of the dealers*

Edit: the HS dealer also told me she'd heat up the J375 for me for a wet test, even though they don't do many of them.....just have to call and schedule an appointment so they can cover and heat it. TOO COOL.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 10:13:12 pm by Tatooed_Lady »
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

New direction...wish I were tactful...
« on: February 16, 2006, 10:11:51 pm »

Brookenstein

Re: New direction...wish I were tactful...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 10:19:14 pm »
Well... I'd say go with your gut.  If you can afford to lose a couple hundred bucks and the other dealer has something in your price range that you like... I'd go for it.  I bought used and have no dealer, but am a firm believer in doing business with someone you like and trust.  You better believe I will never do business at Honda Cars of Corona ever again.  They don't even get my routine maintenance cause they pissed me off.  They treated me like crap after I dropped 30k on a car.  I now drive 30 miles away now to get my routine maintenance done.  (And people {you know who you are}please don't bash me for owning a Honda   ;))

Edited because I got off track...

Anyway, with regard to the tact part.. I would just say you changed your mind.  If they push for details say you found another tub that you liked better (fit your needs, etc.).  I probably wouldn't say that you liked the other dealer better, but nothing wrong with saying you found a tub you liked better.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 10:21:20 pm by Brookenstein »

Tubaholic

• HS Grandee Indoors
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 10:51:14 pm »
My wife and I wet tested many different brands and we finally put a deposit on a tub. I was not real crazy about the salesman but  I did like the tub. After I got home I did some checking with the BBB and low and behold my hunch was correct--this dealer was involved with multiple complaints -  well I called the salesman back and requested a refund and was told no!!!
Good thing I had made the deposit with a credit card as I called the credit card company   explained my concerns and they started to investigate on my behalf.
6 months later I did get a full refund but no thanks to the dealer. The best part of the story is a few days later I found a dealer about 15 min away that carried  several brands (hot springs being one of them) and the dealer experience was so awsome I purchased a new hot springs grandee that day. This was almost 2 years ago now and  I still enjoy going to the dealer for my supplies and misc. items. We have found that the after  care  and service the dealer gives you  is just as important as the initial sale. I feel we were lucky to have such a great dealer so close that actually cares about his customer and not just the $$$$. So go request a refund from the first guy and give your business to somebody that really wants it and has earned it...................

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 11:02:59 pm »
I'll have to check the paperwork I signed....I believe it's a nonrefundable deposit, but as I said...I'd rather bite it on the couple hundred NOW than bite it on the service LATER....
Dealers, listen up *lol* I don't know if EVERY customer that goes to this store is treated like this, or if it's just because I happen to go places in jeans and t-shirts...but my money is as good as the next person's, even if she IS wearing a Rolex. I work hard as hell for my money, and I'm not going to throw it at someone just because I like what they have to offer anymore unless they are giving me a reason to buy their product. I LIKE the Great Lakes tub. I really think it's comfortable. HOWEVER.....I'm taking my several thousand dollar sale up the road to someone who makes me feel like they'll take care of me if I have any problems in the future.....I wonder how many other sales were lost due to customers feeling like they're not getting the dealer's full attention during questioning?
RIP C-Rod

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 11:26:13 pm »
Go with what is right for YOU. You put down a deposit, which means you're asking them to hold the spa and/or price, you're not asking them to carve your name in siding. If they give you a hard time you have to wonder how dealing with them in the future would be if you purchased. If you decide in the end to go back to them this will be a good sign to know how they are to deal with.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 11:30:20 pm »
The tub I put money on is a closeout from '05, last of its kind, blah, blah, coulda sold it 2 minutes after I signed the check, blah blah...it'll be interesting, at very least....but I owe them at LEAST as much as telling them that I'm bowing out, instead of just walking away and not calling or anything. So I'll do that and try to do it without name calling, soaping their windows or tp'ing their store......   ;D
RIP C-Rod

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 06:32:46 am »
I am so upset.  A recent physical shows my blood pressure to be high normal and they don't know for sure if we can control it with diet and exercise or medication.  Until we find that out the Doc said that sitting in a hot tub is a bad idea.  So I've decided to put off buying a spa until this gets straightened out.  

I hope it isn't too big a problem for you but after further consideration I don't think a spa is a good thing at this time.  I have already spent money on site preparation and I am stressing out over canceling my order and it is making the blood pressure problem worse.

The Doctor thinks it might eventually be controllable and if it does get cleared up, you will be the 1st place I visit since you have been up front and fair with me.  

Is it more convenient for you to issue a refund of the deposit by check or credit my card?  Thank you for being so understanding.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this is a little dishonest, but if you don’t think they will give you a refund after you tell the truth, what have you got to lose?  If they were a little more customer-friendly you wouldn’t be looking elsewhere, so this isn’t entirely your fault.

One word of caution about the new dealer:  Over the years I have learned to be wary of enterprises that have kids, especially infants, where business is conducted.  It is okay to be dedicated to your kids, but allowing them to interfere during business hours shows where the customer stands on the priority list.  If it happens before the sale you know what to expect after the sale.

Other than that, the new dealer sounds like good people.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 06:33:05 am by Snowbird »
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

autoplay

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 07:10:48 am »
Honesty is generally the best policy....and I try to live by it!

Be honest with them,and tell then you found a tub that matches your comfort level. You can apologize etc to them,and tell them you wish you had looked around more prior to leaving a deposit,and leave it at that.

In the end,you want a product that you will be happy with initially,and in the future.

If none of that works....tell em yer brother Guido will be visiting them shortly/grin ;)

georgiapeach

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 07:44:51 am »
Brookenstein....

Couldn't help myself...had to respond...I own a Honda also and went through the same thing; take mine for maintenance where I bought it about 25 miles away because the idiots here in my town pissed me off and I won't deal with them...and I had bought my first Honda with them and had it maintained by them for 4 years too!  (Until my daughter got hit by a drunk driver and it got totalled...  >:( )

Anyway, as far as the original question...  :)  I would also just tell them you changed your mind....nothing wrong in doing that, although not so sure you'll get your money back.  

Well... I'd say go with your gut.  If you can afford to lose a couple hundred bucks and the other dealer has something in your price range that you like... I'd go for it.  I bought used and have no dealer, but am a firm believer in doing business with someone you like and trust.  You better believe I will never do business at Honda Cars of Corona ever again.  They don't even get my routine maintenance cause they pissed me off.  They treated me like crap after I dropped 30k on a car.  I now drive 30 miles away now to get my routine maintenance done.  (And people {you know who you are}please don't bash me for owning a Honda   ;))

Edited because I got off track...

Anyway, with regard to the tact part.. I would just say you changed your mind.  If they push for details say you found another tub that you liked better (fit your needs, etc.).  I probably wouldn't say that you liked the other dealer better, but nothing wrong with saying you found a tub you liked better.

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 09:18:05 am »
One word of caution about the new dealer:  Over the years I have learned to be wary of enterprises that have kids, especially infants, where business is conducted.  It is okay to be dedicated to your kids, but allowing them to interfere during business hours shows where the customer stands on the priority list.  If it happens before the sale you know what to expect after the sale.

Other than that, the new dealer sounds like good people.

actually, I just talked to a lady that works with my hubby...she said her husband bought a tub from this company awhile back (during his previous marriage), their friends bought from them, there's a thermostat and gasket waiting to be fixed (when the money comes in) and that job has been directed STRAIGHT to this company...lots of local WOWs over the dealership, and the munchkin didn't interfere with the sale, far as I'm concerned.....The sales girl gave me undivided attention, and answered all my questions (except for when she felt that junior was barfing over her arm....lol). But all in all, I'm almost giddy with finding a company that treats me like a paying customer. :)

High blood pressure, huh? Hmmm....well, they met the family, so they'd probably buy it. *ROTFL*

I might have to go the honesty route...just let them know that I'm not comfortable buying a major item from someone that can't take less than 5 minutes out of their "BUSY" (no one in the store) day to remove 4 screws, just to satisfy my curiosity...and if they get bitchy, I'll point out that THAT doesn't help, either.....I wouldn't feel comfortable even purchasing my chemicals from them, so the deal's OFF.

Thanks again, all......you've been VERY helpful. :)
RIP C-Rod

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 09:58:51 am »
Tattoo

I havent read through all of your replies, and other notes, but have you backed out of this tub?

07 Caldera Geneva

luigi311

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 10:07:24 am »
Tubaholic, same thing happened to me.  Be careful when you put a deposit down to "hold" something.

rubiconruby

• id rather be happy then right
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 10:31:49 am »
I made my dealer take the side of befor ei bought and explain everyting inside. If they hadnt i wouldnt have bought it no matter how good of a deal!!

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 11:31:41 am »
tat
i hope it doesnt come down to name calling/tp'ing their showroom. but, like many have said.....if you get a hassle over your deposit/decision now you know what to expect in the future.

good luck, and please keep us posted. and congrats on finding a dealer that made you feel comfortable.

not that it matters.......i generally dress in t-shirt & jeans when shopping. more so for higher end items. if they dont talk/ackowledge me, i walk. im a big believer in respecting the person, not their dress.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 02:26:23 pm by socal »
Marquis dealer

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 12:07:47 pm »
ok, i just reread my post....it says "t nuts"   :o but when i go to modify/correct it, it actually says t shirt. ??? whats going on around here??????????????
Marquis dealer

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 12:07:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42