What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Arctic owners using Disposable Filters  (Read 3141 times)

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
Arctic owners using Disposable Filters
« on: February 20, 2006, 09:45:36 am »
I would like some opinions on the Micropure disposable filters.  Is it true that the only thing you need is a sanitizer with them, no need for Clarifiers, Stain and Scale inhibitions or N2?  How long does one last?  I am thinking of switching once I run of N2 cartridges.  

Hot Tub Forum

Arctic owners using Disposable Filters
« on: February 20, 2006, 09:45:36 am »

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
Re: Arctic owners using Disposable Filters
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 12:21:17 pm »
hello, I have been using micropure filters for almost a year.  They are really good.  I only shock once a week and fill my bromine dispenser.  The only other thing i use is ph and alk.

Thats it, no filter cleaning, no extra chemicals. The one thing I do use though is a scum bug to float in the water to soak up the junk on top.

The filter claims to last 3 to 5 months depending on use, however, I seem to find 2 to 3 months more realistic.  After a while the filter begins to break down in the water so you get little white things in the water. The best way to combat this is to change at the two to three month mark.

Other than that, I find it to be excellent.  Many argue here that the filter costs to much.  I spend 90.00 canadian for 3 filters.  So 120 canadian a year on filters.  I dont spend on all the extra chemicals which saves some money.  Some argue that this still does not out weigh the costs.

However, I dont need to take out my filters and wash them and soak them in chemicals, I dont need to worry about water quality, because the filter cleans down to one micron without chemical assistance, and I save myself time and energy.  That to me makes it all worth it.

Lets be honest, would you rather put in a filter and take it out 3 months from now and replace it with a new one, or would you rather do weekly maitenance on a filter.

It seems like a simple answer to me.

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 02:13:34 pm »
Bosco,

Thanks for the info, I like your plan.  Do you change the water every 3 months along with the filter?

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 07:39:00 pm »
Monthly maintenance, not weekly.  I'm interested in jet performance.  Try taking out your micron filters while your in the tub and see if you get a different flow rate through the jets.

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 08:25:05 pm »
Kyle,

This is interesting.  So you think the micron filter might reduce the flow.  In other words it is to dense for the water to be pulled through.

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 09:44:20 pm »
I would like some opinions on the Micropure disposable filters.  Is it true that the only thing you need is a sanitizer with them, no need for Clarifiers, Stain and Scale inhibitions or N2?  How long does one last?  I am thinking of switching once I run of N2 cartridges.  

Ditto what Bosco said.

Jc
How do you know how much you don't know?

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 09:50:56 pm »
At the end of its life life, I noticed a drop in pressure.  But I imagine that because that first run probably had leftover factory antifreeze and stuff, perhaps it plugged a little more thoroughly.  We'll see the next time around.  I've had the paper filter in and the micron.  Honestly, I can't say either is superior as I have only had clear water with both.  I think convenience more than anything may play a roll.   At my next swap, I'll see if I can compare pressures back to back.

The disadvantage to the micron is that if you do have guests over that cause a foam party, you can't use foam out with the filter in and the filter can't absorb the soap and oils fast enough.  It could take a few days.  I pulled mine the one time it happened (which is why I have a paper filter).  So potentially, there is a level of inconvenience to the micron also.  Although if you give guests a suit and they don't foam the tub, it tough to beat disposable for convenience.  (We have extra suits in a variety of sizes which are double rinsed simply because micron or not, foam is no fun).

Inherently, I believe the micron to be a superior filter.  However that extra performance may or may not ever be realized in a spa.  So it comes down to cost vs convenience, which is a personal thing.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 09:57:48 pm »
i have yet to notice a drop in pressure.  My tub runs hard all the way through.  That was never an issue.

Funny enough, however, I have yet to have a foam issue in my tub.

And for the water chane question, I have changed the water once since July 2005. So im working on every 4 months roughly.  My water is still in great shape, so i plan on maybe april for my next change.  

i will change the filter again before, but if the water looks good, smells good, and feels good, no change needed.

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 10:26:57 pm »
I changed mine when the TDS hit ~1500 even though I wasn't really having trouble with it.

You're lucky on the foam thing.  That sucked.  It was just the one couple.  We've had others over without problems.  It probably was a suit thing.  I know the guys washer is old and probably doesn't get the soap out well...........

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 10:26:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42