What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Springs Hot Tub Nightmare  (Read 9348 times)

mbastew

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Hot Springs Hot Tub Nightmare
« on: February 19, 2006, 04:05:09 pm »
I live in Michigan and purchased a Hot Springs Hot Tub from a local dealer (end of January).  I had a deck built and had the hot tub delivered and placed on my deck.  I called my electrician last week and had my tub wired and had the dealer come out a day later and unwrap my tub and install the retractable cover.  The dealer provided me with the chemicals as well as the instructions to get my water chemistry correct.

Last evening I filled my tub and added the chemicals as appropriate.  I checked on the tub to get a water temperature reading a few hours later.  To my amazement the water level had decreased by 80%.  I looked under my deck only to see that there was not a drain plug on the secondary drain.  I cut the power and opened the service panel......no drain plugs on either outlet.  As it was midnight I had to wait until the dealer opened.  The dealer did not have an explanation other than they might have forgotten to put them in when they set the tub up.........etc.  Not wanting to argue I they provided me with the owners packet (with 2 drain plugs) that was not included with my hot tub when it was delivered and told me to fill the tub and run it.  Additionally they told me that their service department would be contacting me in the morning.  

The tub wil not start (power light blinking).  The trouble shooting guide indicates that it the thermostat has been tripped.  I am sure their is water in the pumps, lines that is frozen as the temperature has been below the freezing mark the last few days.  

I am left with a tub that will not work, a dealer with poor excuses and a neighbor that now has an ice rink in his back yard.

Does 'dealer setup' normally imply that they will double check that the drain plugs are installed.....??  I feel like such an ass for not checking them myself, however I feel like when you spend 10K for a hottub and the dealer says they will take of the set up that these little things should be handled by the experts.

Talk about buyers remorse..........

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Springs Hot Tub Nightmare
« on: February 19, 2006, 04:05:09 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Hot Springs Hot Tub Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 04:31:19 pm »
To be fair, you have described a hot tub dealer nightmare.

Yes, your spa should have had the drain plugs installed.  You should be given your owner's pack.

Give the dealer a call.  He may have some tips for you.  not living where it freezes, I couldn't give you any advice.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

mbastew

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 04:46:51 pm »
agreed...I am sure Hot Springs makes a fine product.  I wish I would have researched the dealer as much as I did the manufacturer.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 05:28:24 pm »
As  you filled the tub, you didn't see the water pouring out of the open drain fittings? While I don't see how that is your dealer's fault, I am sorry for your troubles and offer whatever help I can.

Assuming the caps are now in place - BTW they are simple garden hose caps. If you ever lose one during a water change in the future you can simply pick one up at any garden supply or home center, or for a quicker fix just screw any garden hose or even a garden hose nozzle which you have handy to give you time to get a new cap.

The red light flashing is just your tub's way of telling you that the heater got too hot. You simply power down the spa, wait a minute, and power it back up.

If it continues to flash, put a garden hose down the grey filter tube and flush out any air which might be trapped in the heating system.

Also - it's a good idea to turn on the circuit breaker for the pumps first, and not turn on the other breaker - which runs the heater - until you are sure you have normal flow through all systems. Which breaker is which? Differs from model to model, but it is easy to determine: simply turn on one of the two breakers. If the spa comes to life you have found the breaker which runs the pumps. If the spa doesn 't come to life, shut that breaker off and turn on the other one. Then mark them "Pumps" and "Heater"

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

mbastew

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 06:03:53 pm »
My Hot Tub is built into my deck.  You can't see drain(s)unless you crawl under the deck or remove the service panel.  

Given that you are a dealer, please tell me what delivery/set up mean to you.  Is it simply delivery?  If so what constitutes set-up?  Do you deliver your tubs without drain caps installed (or included)?    I think you are having a hard time being objective given that you are a dealer.  Everybody makes mistakes and I am giving my dealer the benefit out the doubt on this one.  I would be blown away if I had purchased the tub from you and your dropped "I don't see how it could be my fault.........why didn't you see the water leaking out?".  

I do appreciate HotTub Dan's objectivity.

I let my tub sit for a few hours and it just now fired up when I hit the breakers.  Things should be fine from here on out.  

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 06:23:02 pm »
 I think you are having a hard time being objective given that you are a dealer.
I was trying to help. Sorry if it offended you.

We usually start the spa up for our customers. I don't know what that has to do with your little 'nightmare' but you asked.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Chris_H

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 06:57:02 pm »
Many dealers remove the drain plugs to remove the water in the spa before it gets cold outside especially if the spa was outside before being delivered.  My guess is that the dealer forgot to put them back on.  It is a simple and honest mistake.  

Anglia67

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 07:07:34 pm »
Can you imagine......the Hot Springs dealer in my area said that their tubs dont leak? Ever.
Guess a little service would have helped, did they just drop it off in your driveway?

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 07:36:15 pm »
Can you imagine......the Hot Springs dealer in my area said that their tubs dont leak? Ever.

YIKES...
RIP C-Rod

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 07:49:34 pm »
Guess a little service would have helped, did they just drop it off in your driveway?

They leak even less when the drain caps are on.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 08:00:51 pm »
Considering how damn cold it is out here right now, your dealer should have babysat the entire startup.  I doubt the spa's are flying out the door when it's 15 deg f outside.  Keep an eye out for leaks and contact hotsprings regarding your startup dilema.  Now I don't feel so bad about the service I was getting (problem solved) from my dealer.
Steve

Hot Tub Guru

• Heavenly Times Hot Tubs & Billiards
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 08:52:06 pm »
Sorry for what happend.  It was probally an honest mistake.  Hopefully they still make you satisifed.

I would love to earn your chemical business as we are Novi, MI.

Michael

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2006, 10:25:08 pm »
Take it easy Stew. Chas is one of the good guys. He's spending his own time on board helping people solve problems without making a dime in the process.  I'm sorry your dealer didn't setup your spa very well. In a few days you'll forget all about this minor problem.

My Hot Tub is built into my deck.  You can't see drain(s)unless you crawl under the deck or remove the service panel.  

Given that you are a dealer, please tell me what delivery/set up mean to you.  Is it simply delivery?  If so what constitutes set-up?  Do you deliver your tubs without drain caps installed (or included)?    I think you are having a hard time being objective given that you are a dealer.  Everybody makes mistakes and I am giving my dealer the benefit out the doubt on this one.  I would be blown away if I had purchased the tub from you and your dropped "I don't see how it could be my fault.........why didn't you see the water leaking out?".  

I do appreciate HotTub Dan's objectivity.

I let my tub sit for a few hours and it just now fired up when I hit the breakers.  Things should be fine from here on out.  

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 08:51:43 am »
I believe this was just an honest mistake.  It is not the first time this issue has shown up.  Seems like those little caps sometimes get overlooked.

The spa was delivered before the electrical.  I know I filled my spa and got it running before my dealer orientation.  Seems like no damage done and all is well.  Time to enjoy the hot water.

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 09:20:26 am »
Unless the dealer warned the buyer otherwise, it should be appropriate for the buyer to assume the tub is ready to be filled.  We don't know what was stated during the buying process.  The buyer may have been told the tub would be ready to fill and was given start up instructions by the dealer.

Plus the complete package was not delivered to the buyer in the beginning.  The drain plugs were not delievered until after the problem ocurred.  

The buyer had no reason to suspect a problem.  Why would it be the buyer's responsibilty to disassemble the tub to make sure the dealer did his job?

Sorry, but the dealer blew it on this one and he should do whatever it takes to make the situation right.  In my mind that means bringing the tub to the condition it should have been in if he hadn't made the mistake.
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 09:20:26 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42