What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Cover  (Read 6818 times)

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
Spa Cover
« on: February 16, 2006, 07:28:25 am »
Here's one for everyone....the spa cover seam area on the tub we're buying is NOT a "tight seal". Should it be? Here's why I ask, I can justify either way, yanno...
a) it SHOULD be tight seal to keep the heat in (duh)
b) it should NOT be tight seal, so excess chemicals (chlorine and ozone, anyone?) can 'vent off' instead of wrecking the underside of the cover.

I'm guessing it REALLY SHOULD be sealed better. If that's the case, what's a common fix that'll last? It's all new, and I really don't want to have to buy ANOTHER new cover to replace this one til it's shot...here's what I'm talking about.....

That, my friends.....is a gap of EPIC proportions.
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Cover
« on: February 16, 2006, 07:28:25 am »

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
Re: Spa Cover
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 10:53:10 am »
Most Spa covers have a boot attached to the cover at that point. You could probably get a piece of foam,wrap it in plastic film and stitch it in there, it may not be pretty but it will fill the gap to retain more heat & moisture.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 11:12:55 am »
Could you, or would you take the credit for this cover and purchase one that already has a filler in that gap?
I do a lot of sewing but, I don't think I would try to sew a filler into your cover...to make it work properly would probably be really hard.  :(
Support your dealer so they can support you!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 12:11:13 pm »
Here's one for everyone....the spa cover seam area on the tub we're buying is NOT a "tight seal". Should it be? Here's why I ask, I can justify either way, yanno...
a) it SHOULD be tight seal to keep the heat in (duh)
b) it should NOT be tight seal, so excess chemicals (chlorine and ozone, anyone?) can 'vent off' instead of wrecking the underside of the cover.

I'm guessing it REALLY SHOULD be sealed better. If that's the case, what's a common fix that'll last? It's all new, and I really don't want to have to buy ANOTHER new cover to replace this one til it's shot...here's what I'm talking about.....

That, my friends.....is a gap of EPIC proportions.

That is not a good cover for insualtion to me.  A  good insualting cover should have a boot (an insulated block of foam) that fills that gap.  No?

I  would not use that cover  in colder climates.  If you do, make damn sure you push both ends of the cover towards the middle to seal that gap.  

The taper on the cover is pretty dramatic. (more so than mine)  I wonder if this is ment for warm, rainy environments?

Doc has covers. He's the guy to tell you what's what.  :)

If you could maybe   talk to you dealer about changing that cover and see what can be worked out?

Any halfway decent cover company on the web goes into detail about what makes a good insualting cover and they say that gap should be filled.

Hers what our own good Doc has to say:

http://www.rhtubs.com/covers/insulate.htm
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 12:33:10 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 12:32:57 pm »
i agree, that is not a good cover for insulation.....i just have 1 thing to ask (beg).......please dont say EPIC in a bad way lol. im looking at my floor model right now and their is the linear heat seal looking proud!!! ;D matter of fact, all of the covers for my Marquis have that heat seal.
sorry, just saw " gap of EPIC proportions." and i cringed  ;)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 12:33:17 pm by socal »
Marquis dealer

MarKee

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 12:53:57 pm »
Linear heat seal is where it's at!  Let's not get the Arctic people started though...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 12:58:04 pm »
Linear heat seal is where it's at!  Let's not get the Arctic people started though...

Whats  Linear heat seal?  
07 Caldera Geneva

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 01:04:11 pm »

Whats  Linear heat seal?  

Looks like this;

As opposed to the basic sealing fingers;

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 01:18:15 pm »
*LOL* Oops, hadn't recalled there's a tub called "epic"...well, I meant it in the NICEST way...  ;D

I don't know what geographical area that lid's meant for....but I'm guessing (as I'm watching the
additional 6 or so inches of snow blanket the 4 we got last night..and still falling) that it wasn't made
for Wisconsin winters. Now...if it's a crappy cover, they can keep it, and give me credit toward a GOOD
cover......or, they can take the price of the cover OFF the sale price (let me know in advance though so I
can coordinate this all), and I'll hook up with Doc to get a new GOOD one. I just thought that a bit strange,
after looking at all the pics I've got of the tub (they're not pinned up in the bathroom...HONEST!), and
that gaping hole staring at me finally made me wonder.
By the way....I'm NOT gonna dink around after using
the tub at all hours of the night and day, pushing, straining and grunting trying to make the two ends
meet. *lol* It's probably doable, if I were so flat broke I couldn't afford any other options....but uh.....I'm old
and cranky enough that now I won't drive a "rigged" car, and I ain't gonna soak in a "rigged" tub.
And there we go.....another newbie learned a few things about what makes a quality cover vs. what makes it crap.
Thank you, everyone, I'm gonna go browse Doc's site, check out the covers, "just in case".  ;)
RIP C-Rod

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 01:22:13 pm »
ooooh. I like the linear seal.

Tatoo, what type of tub did you buy? ( I thought from your Epic quote, it was a Marquis.)

I have the boot fingers on my cover, and even still I give it a little nudge (no pushing or grunting required  ;)  ) to make sure it's tight.

Doc, I still get some icecles forming around the flap around the cover (I assume from steam condesing and dripping then freezing ) Is this normal?
07 Caldera Geneva

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 01:49:21 pm »
drew, Great Lakes Leelanau (last year in production is '05). Naw, I was thinking Epic in the grandiose way, not the tub way. *lol*
RIP C-Rod

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 01:59:16 pm »
ooooh. I like the linear seal.

Doc, I still get some icecles forming around the flap around the cover (I assume from steam condesing and dripping then freezing ) Is this normal?

Normal? If I use you as a base line............  ;D ;D ;D J/K

Depending on the quality of the manufacturing process for your covers foam cores, it's not unheard of for the foam to actualy warp slightly over time. This could cause the cover to not sit prefectly flat all the way round the entire spa, causing some steam leakage, and ice formation.

You might be able to test this by putting some weight on top of the cover where the steam/ice is forming and see if it goes awway.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2006, 02:55:37 pm »
I was just thinking.....if the dealer doesn't want to do a trade-up to a better cover, or only offers me
minimal value off the tub for me to replace it anyhow... maybe I'll just take it, keep it, and use it for summer.
I figure it this way:
Winter in Wisconsin can be harsh, and I NEED a heavy duty cover to keep the heat in.  That being said, summer in Wisconsin can get HOT, and I could just rotate to the lighter cover, since I won't be fighting
to keep the heat in so much.
Has anyone here used a rotational schedule for covers? Theoretically, shouldn't BOTH covers last longer this way, since each will have plenty of time to completely dry out over the course of several months?
I'd really like to think the dealer will cut me a sweet deal, but since I can't guarantee it, I'd rather think of
alternative avenues.

Thanks!!

EDIT: (NOT EPIC): does anyone know if there's an aftermarket piece like the Arctic brand has that gets
sandwiched in the seam? A piece that maybe velcros to one side or something?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 02:57:01 pm by Tatooed_Lady »
RIP C-Rod

hymbaw

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2006, 03:07:31 pm »
The covers for the Great Lakes spas DO have a heat seal!!

It's black......That's why you can't see it in the pic.

Open the cover and it should be there.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2006, 03:11:56 pm »
The covers for the Great Lakes spas DO have a heat seal!!
It's black......That's why you can't see it in the pic.
Open the cover and it should be there.

I hate to be the one to throw a bag of ice in your tub, but.....I don't see one.

RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2006, 03:11:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42