What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Springs Comfort Control Lever Concern  (Read 8815 times)

prspecial

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Hot Springs Comfort Control Lever Concern
« on: February 09, 2006, 12:30:09 pm »
To begin with, I would not trade my hot tub with anyone, we are 99.9% satisfied with it.  However:

I've just had 2 comfort control levers on my '05 Vanguard repaired after 3 month's use.  It was told the control design was new for the 2005 models.

The levers turn a fluted tube in a rubber fluted sleeve that "locks"into a plastic housing.  The locking feature is merely a couple of ribs on the rubber sleeve which fit into grooves  in the housing.  With a bit of resistance from the tube as it is turned, the rubber sleeve can come out of position and the flutes will no longer line up for a full on or full off position at the intended right and left turn stops.  The result is higher turning efforts and the loss of full function of air/water mix.  It's quite possible that this will occur on most models with this design unless corrective measures have already been taken.  

The initial repair has been to add silicon caulk to bond the rubber sleeve into position and add silicon lubricant to the tube to minimize turning friction.  This may work as a permanent fix in the field and, perhaps, as a temporary fix at Hot Springs production.  A design change to make the ribs higher and the grooves deeper may be more practical.

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Springs Comfort Control Lever Concern
« on: February 09, 2006, 12:30:09 pm »

J._McD

Re: Hot Springs Comfort Control Lever Concern
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 07:53:50 pm »
Wow, over 30 hours and your on page 2 without a comment.  Maybe this isn't a very big problem, but it seems that they knew what to do to fix it in the field.  I wonder if you have been having the gurggling sounds that others have been having and if it is somehow related to this valve and the air/water mix? ???

There are several HS experts on the forum, so I am surprised you haven't had any feed back.  Let me bounce you back to the top and see if East Tx can give you some insight.  You have had over 100 people that read your thread but noone had any comment.  Let's see if Tx will take a look at this.  Maybe he will have an explanation for what is going on.

I am glad your enjoying you Hot Tub.  They are awesome, enjoy.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 08:36:20 pm »
Perhaps I am missing something, but I don't see a question.

???
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

J._McD

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 09:40:04 pm »
Is he experiencing something unusual?  Is this common, should we presume the field correction solves the probelm that the factory is aware of?  Is this related to the gurggling being discussed?  No one has addressed this issue.

I am sorry, but did this post not need or expect a response?  I guess not.  Is this a common occurence that should be expected in the operation of this valve?  Seems like something shoud be looked at or maybe it is normal.

prspecial

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 12:41:37 pm »
The purpose of my note was to alert other owners of newer model Hot Spring tubs that they may not be operating as design intended and that it is easy to fix. The symptoms are not very obvious since the levers still allow some degree of control.

Additionally, I thought  this forum could shortcut getting the info to Hot Springs, assuming they are not aware of it by now. They might listen to someone out there who has experience in the field, agrees with the concern, and believes a change is needed. The repair is not very costly (it may not be permanent) but sending out a couple of repairmen probably is.  

mxw128

• Newbie with an 05 Vanguard
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 10:42:19 pm »
Is that what those levers do, mix air with the water?  I just thought it decreased the water flow.  How did you realize you had an issue?

prspecial

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 10:27:34 am »
The lever malfunction symtoms are higher turn efforts (due to the rubber sleeve ribs being out of their grooves creating more interference with the plastic tube) and the loss of full function differential between the two exreme positions of the lever (4 o'clock and 8 o'clock).  The flutes may line up for full open and/or full close somewhere in between.  

aquaman

• justice league is on the hot line !
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 07:34:35 pm »
i`m on my 4th one on a 2004 tiger river bengal.  The last one they installed seems to be working good( about 5 mos now) They tried the silicone on mine as well but that didn`t work either.

oldersparepairguy

• Take the gun, leave the cannolis
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 12:26:11 am »
I do Hot Springs service. Several months ago I replaced several of these controls mentioned. Every one I replaced has not had a repeat of the problem, leading me to believe Watkins has addressed the issue by modifying the replacement parts. I also have noticed this problem is no longer popping up in recent months, so I think the factory is on top of it.

oldersparepairguy

• Take the gun, leave the cannolis
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 12:40:17 am »
About that gurgling noise. I have had a few spas that had complaints of gurgling noises. The problem was not related to the air controls. The noise in question was bubbling/cavitation in the ozone mixing chamber. This would only occur on models with an ozone generator installed. In fact, on a couple spas the noise showed up after installing an ozone generator. If it is the mixing chamber, and it really annoys you, the fix involves removing the chamber, but the chamber is foamed in :P so its a little more involved, but can be done. This is not to be confused with the occasional gurgling heard on earlier (approx. pre 2003) models. Those models have a modification involving removing the factory check valve, and installing a new check valve with a Hartford loop.
These models also exhibited occasional discharge of water from the hole in the underside of the cabinet corner covered by a screen.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 12:40:17 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42