What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: summer hot tub enclosure  (Read 6341 times)

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
summer hot tub enclosure
« on: February 13, 2006, 08:41:30 pm »
has anyone yet tried using a screen tent as a temporary warm weather enclosure? I just found one:
http://www.camptents.com/SpecPages/SheltersAndCot/ScreenTent/ScreenTent283.htm
No floor, so technically, I suppose it could be set up around the hot tub? Maybe set up and then settled around the tub? *lol* Weird idea, I'm sure..but bug season around this area isn't pleasant..and I was thinking that having a roof (even a lightweight one) with screen walls that may be able to support some lightweight curtains for privacy....well, it'd be an idea, anyhow.
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

summer hot tub enclosure
« on: February 13, 2006, 08:41:30 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: summer hot tub enclosure
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 09:46:10 pm »
Quite honestly, the bug problem was our concern as well but we found that the critters didn't bother us too much.

We were originally were going to enclose the tub in the screen room we built but money and aesthetics made our mind up for us.

I have seen a type of screen enclosure you mentioned and as long as it's wide and tall enough it should work great. They sell them as temporary gazebos as well.

luvmytub

• Just a completely ingnorant newbie owner, 05 Envoy
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 09:58:52 pm »
We had originally planned to enclose our patio with mapes panel and glass with a door for ventilation.  But after a week of using it, I am really enjoying being able to feel the cool breeze blow over me.  I like staying in for extended periods to melt away all the stress of the day.  So now, we are thinking screen enclosure on the top half instead of glass.  We have a huge, huge Russian Olive tree in the backyard, and it is beautiful, but in the spring, a gazillion little yellow flowers drop off and end up all over the patio, and in the fall, a gazillion little leaves.  I think we need something to keep some of that out of the tub.  Even though it will be covered most of the time, just that 1 to 2 hours of use it may get some days would be enough for it to get tons of little tree "droppings".   I really enjoy that open feeling more than I realized.  Our patio is covered and the walls of the house come out on the sides, so the tub is partially enclosed by the house, but the front edge sticks out just a bit past the roof and side of the house.  I like laying in the lounge and looking up at the stars.
Go Bobby Labonte!  #43...Let's go racin'!

obi wan

• you're just jealous the voices only talk to ME!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 11:00:23 pm »
there are all sorts of options from lotsa $ and on down.
we are here in SE VA near the oceanfront and the bugs can get brutal. we opted for a gazebo from hm depot that had sqito netting included. very simple metal frame, fabric top, and mesh side panels. 10'x10', went up in about 1 hr. works like a charm. was about $200.

added bonus is that i hung 2 canvas type panels around it as it has been WAY TOO COLD FOR FEBRUARY here in VA, and made my own little sauna??
I know, I know..... to all you folks who enjoy watching the snow fall into the tub, more power to you.....
i prefer not to be a human popsicle while " transitioning"(thats french for run like hell) from the tub to the house when its Too %&^@# cold degrees outside.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 05:38:34 am »
Oh my obiwan brother, a proper sauuuna is 125-145 degrees and requires a cool water or snow bank plunge. And the finnish people would be ashamed if you tryed to pass a hundred or so degrees off as a sauuuuna.
Retired

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 07:38:56 am »
Walmart has a nice enclosure 10X10 for about 200.00.
Hubby keeps checking it out but thinks I can make a new roof out of clear plastic vinyl
so he can still see the stars. I still want a pergola and the plastic wind protectors like SSBraun has.   ;D
We'll see who wins...
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 07:44:51 am »
Women ALWAYS win.  One way or another.

For some reason, when we're using our spa, the bugs seem to leave us alone.  Don't really know why- maybe they don't like bromine fumes or something.
Brewman

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 08:15:10 am »
Realisitically, I KNOW I won't set up ALL the stuff I'm asking about......it would look like a camp for refugee gypsies if I did!  :o BUT...I see things online that make me think "Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy", and I run with it from there...sometimes my finding one thing leads down a road to something more worthwhile in the end, that still won't make me go broke.....
That's why I got married....and bought a house.....ran across a couple REALLY GOOD deals that I decided were worth the investment, and VOILA! In debt up to my eyeballs, (and sinking deeper) and hitched for life!  ;D
RIP C-Rod

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 08:27:20 am »
I still want a pergola and the plastic wind protectors like SSBraun has.   ;D
We'll see who wins...

Thanks Bonibelle for the compliment.  Just last night I was in the tub with my 10 Y.O. (son not scotch!!) and he commented that he was amazed that I built it; that it actually looked professional ;D...for clarification, the walls are glass which I felt would be stronger, resist scratching when cleaned, and cost little more than some of the better U.V. resistant plastics.  Keep the view and the stars, block the freezing wind, and remove in summer if you like :)...

Steve

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 09:05:02 am »
See, versatile and beautiful..good for summer and winter
and you can still see the stars!  ;D
Support your dealer so they can support you!

RayF-1

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 09:20:13 am »
One comment I've not seen mentioned .. when considereing a full enclosure, make sure there is enough overhead room.  

That's essential for those (like me) with a lift assist device to remove the hot tub cover ..

Ray in Virginia  

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 10:36:49 am »
One comment I've not seen mentioned .. when considereing a full enclosure, make sure there is enough overhead room.  

That's essential for those (like me) with a lift assist device to remove the hot tub cover ..

Ray in Virginia  

also essential for those that are taller than the average troll doll so they don't ka-BONK their fruit cup on the top of the unit and send it all crashing down into the tub, I'd imagine. *wink*
RIP C-Rod

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 02:21:15 pm »
I just got back from WalMart, and I saw something that interested me.....I don't want to permanently block out the sun/moon/stars/etc, but I'd like to (especially in fall) block out the leaves from the 3 mature trees in the back yard and those little "helicopter" seeds that one of them drops....the canopies they've got would work, I saw a couple of 10'x10' deals, for around $100, and one even includes rope lighting.  Now, as far as a PERMANENT structure, this isn't one....but for occasional use, I think it might just be 'the ticket'.
RIP C-Rod

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 02:25:18 pm »
I' have to say, the "Tent" in the orignal post, is a bit...ugly.   Ok really ugly.

redneck, ugly, take your hot tub away and kick you out of the club, ugly.  :)

Ok...that was a bit harsh. let's just say I didn't care for the style.

I would suggest something like this: (note you get optional netting for the bugs)

http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html/ref=sc_pgb_r_9_0_13936381_1/602-5084960-4216625?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=10824111

8)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 02:28:53 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 03:09:41 pm »
I' have to say, the "Tent" in the orignal post, is a bit...ugly.   Ok really ugly.

redneck, ugly, take your hot tub away and kick you out of the club, ugly.  :)

Ok...that was a bit harsh. let's just say I didn't care for the style.

I would suggest something like this: (note you get optional netting for the bugs)

http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html/ref=sc_pgb_r_9_0_13936381_1/602-5084960-4216625?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=10824111

8)

Good thing I know the "secret handshake" huh? *lol* See, now THOSE I like......which is why I said originally
"...I see things online that make me think "Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy", and I run with it from there...sometimes my finding one thing leads down a road to something more worthwhile in the end, that still won't make me go broke..... "
So there. HAH.  :P
Oh....and thanks for the GOOD link. *lol*
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 03:10:22 pm by Tatooed_Lady »
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2006, 03:09:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42