What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chlorine Gas  (Read 4538 times)

OKC

• We love LA
Chlorine Gas
« on: February 13, 2006, 03:56:51 pm »
My question is.  How long do you need to keep the cover opened after you apply cholrine to your spa.  I have heard that the gas can cause damge to the inside of your cover.  Covers are so expensive I want mine to last as long as it can.  Anyone have an answer?  Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Chlorine Gas
« on: February 13, 2006, 03:56:51 pm »

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
Re: Chlorine Gas
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 04:13:11 pm »
I believe I've read on here at LEAST 15 minutes of leaving cover at least half open after adding chlorine..
RIP C-Rod

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 04:38:01 pm »
I leave it partly open for 15 minutes after addition of chlorine (following each tub use) and 1 hour after shocking (about once per week).

Steve

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 04:46:39 pm »
Wow.  I'm not quite so protective.  After use I leave the cover open for about 5-10 minutes.  After shocking, about 20-30 minutes.

Nitlion15

• Be vewry vewry quiet, I'm hunting Spa's.....
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 05:12:06 pm »
I don't really leave the cover open at all.  I put chlorine in and run the jets for a few minutes then close it up.  I hope I am not damaging my cover.  I've had it for about a year and don't see any evidence of damage yet...

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 05:16:25 pm »
Really not that protective...just following advice I found on this fine forum ;D...and if it's late and I'm tired, I may cheat a little bit ;)

Brookenstein

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 05:19:41 pm »
I don't leave the cover open at all (30 seconds top) after I use the tub then add the dichlor.  I do leave it open when I'm shocking for 30 minutes or so.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 06:05:23 pm »
I don't leave the cover open at all (30 seconds top) after I use the tub then add the dichlor.  I do leave it open when I'm shocking for 30 minutes or so.

Doing so will cause chlorine gas to build up under the cover. It creeps into the cover and breaks down the vapor barrier. This is not visible damage, and you don't know it's making your cover absorb water until the thing is so heavy you can hardly lift it.

Leave the cover open for at least ten minutes after adding dichlor.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 06:22:35 pm »
Doing so will cause chlorine gas to build up under the cover. It creeps into the cover and breaks down the vapor barrier. This is not visible damage, and you don't know it's making your cover absorb water until the thing is so heavy you can hardly lift it.

Leave the cover open for at least ten minutes after adding dichlor.

Is that needed when you add the small amount after a soak (1tsp per person)?? I understand it should be open after shocking for 20-30 min.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 11:31:47 pm »
I do it - I learned this the hard way. For years I had watched pillows and covers turning colors, and I couldn't figure out how to stop it. I replaced pillows and covers every three or four months (can't have display spas looking bad now, can we?)

I found out that my store manager was coming in every day and tossing in just a teaspoon or so of dichlor daily, but he was immediately dropping the lid to keep the odor down in the showroom.

After we started to leave the lids up (and open all doors to catch a crossbreeze) after adding any amount of dichlor, the discoloration all went away.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 04:20:01 am »
mmmmm, chlorine gas.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 05:30:15 am »
I am kinda lax on it but do leave it open for a few minutes after an after soak addition, and for about 10-15 minutes after a shock. My cheapo cover is almost 5 years old and it is fine, starting to rip a bit at the seam and it is time for a new one but 5 years on a cover ain't bad in my opinion. I could probably go another year or so but then I would have one of those covers I tell people on repairs that they should of replaced years ago!!
Retired

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 05:30:31 am »
I am kinda lax on it but do leave it open for a few minutes after an after soak addition, and for about 10-15 minutes after a shock. My cheapo cover is almost 5 years old and it is fine, starting to rip a bit at the seam and it is time for a new one but 5 years on a cover ain't bad in my opinion. I could probably go another year or so but then I would have one of those covers I tell people on repairs that they should of replaced years ago!!
Retired

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 05:32:21 am »
oops

[glb][size=10][ ;D][/glb]
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 05:32:21 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42