What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cyanuric Acid Test?  (Read 7730 times)

hamrhed

• "Hard Tellin" "Not Knowin"
Cyanuric Acid Test?
« on: February 13, 2006, 03:02:07 pm »

In the Taylor test kit, there is a test for Cyanuric Acid to, I think adjust the TA reading

Anyone know about this test, How Importain it is to get a true TA reading...

I have never used this test... (CyA)

My TA is 130 based on the standard titration (Green to Red)

Hot Tub Forum

Cyanuric Acid Test?
« on: February 13, 2006, 03:02:07 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Cyanuric Acid Test?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 03:47:47 pm »
I test CYA for 2 reasons - my pool to make sure that I'm using enough chlorine and my tub just to see what the level is. I never used the "adjustment" that the Taylor booklet talks about.

It is my opinion that TA is not too important as long as your PH doesn't swing wildly. I happen to be lucky that using baking soda raises my water's PH and Alk together to the correct levels.

hamrhed

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 04:01:27 pm »
Thanks Vinny

I have stable PH @ 7.6 and also use Baking Soda to raise it as needed..

So this Cyanuric Acid test Adjustment on TA is no big deal when it comes to Spas...

hymbaw

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 04:28:22 pm »
Cyanuric Acid is used to stabilize chlorine against UV rays. Since there is no sunshine under your tubs cover is isn't needed in a hot tub.

Cyanuric Acid will have an effect on your TA reading but if you are within the recommended levels you should be fine.

Vinny, you're putting the cart before the horse my friend. :)

TA is your waters ability to resist PH change. TA is important to PREVENT wild PH swings.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 04:39:49 pm »
High CYA levels also reduce the effectiveness of chlorine.

hamrhed

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 04:41:52 pm »
Cool,, Thanks for the Info guys...

I have a better understanding of how it works, and the interaction of the Cyanuric Acid

Nitlion15

• Be vewry vewry quiet, I'm hunting Spa's.....
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 04:46:16 pm »
I just had a water test done by the Spa store.  My TA was high and my PH was low.  How can I lower TA so that I can then adjust PH and get it correct.  

My calcium hardness was very low and the dealer had my add calcium hardness increaser to get this into range.  He told me that it would help me in not having PH continue to drop.  What I forgot to ask about was how to lower TA to balance it out.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 05:01:46 pm »

TA is your waters ability to resist PH change. TA is important to PREVENT wild PH swings.

Here's a question - If you have a PH of 8.0 and a TA of 50 (I don't know if this could happen), Are you saying you need to get the TA up in order to keep the PH from swinging?

If you were to use Alk up it would raise the PH too (at least in my limited experience), you would then use PH down. But your adusting the Alk as you do this. This is why my statement of  "It is my opinion that TA is not too important as long as your PH doesn't swing wildly" ... If a water's PH doesn't swing wildly at a low TA why adjust the TA as it effects the PH.

Quite honestly, my tub reacts to baking soda differently than my pool. As I said the baking soda raises both the PH and alk together but in my pool I need to add a PH increaser as my alk reaches it's level before the PH.

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 05:09:47 pm »
Check out this site for more info if you like...baking soda appears to drive ph towards neutral whether it is high or low according to this manufacturer...FYI  :)

Steve

http://www.armhammer.com/basics/magic/index.asp#2

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 06:03:29 pm »
Baking soda has a ph of 8.4 and will bring higher PH water down to 8.4 and lower PH water up to 8.4. It's probably not as effective in raising PH as say PH up but it's $0.79 a lb. It's also great for neutralizing battery acid.

I do use borax in my pool that raises PH without touching alk but baking soda seems to do just fine in the tub.

I tested my alk on Sat and it was around 100 and my PH has been at 7.6 to 7.8 for weeks now.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 06:03:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42