What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Residual Chlorine  (Read 5412 times)

mxw128

• Newbie with an 05 Vanguard
Residual Chlorine
« on: February 12, 2006, 10:04:15 pm »
I usually add my "before each use" dichlor right AFTER I use the tub (I don't like to add chems right before I get in)  Anyway, when I test the water in between uses, It reads that there is little or no "total Chlorine" or "Free Chlorine".  It also routinely shows little or no MPS.  (I shock weekly with MPS)  How long should the "after each use" dichlor last and still show up on the test strips?  Should I be adding more Dichlor or MPS in between uses to maintain some "normal" level?  What do folks out there do?

Hot Tub Forum

Residual Chlorine
« on: February 12, 2006, 10:04:15 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Residual Chlorine
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 11:12:38 pm »
Should I be adding more Dichlor or MPS in between uses to maintain some "normal" level?  What do folks out there do?

I use teh same "add chlorine after use method" with the same results but what you're desribing it the reason most of us like a simple dichlor routine. You add it after use, it sanitizes and then the next tme you go in the water is clear and the residual is low so you're not bathing in chemical soup. Now if you have too many days of non-use you'll want to add a tablespoon in between. How many days are too many days? I don't know because I've never let it go too far to find out. I know if we haven't been in the spa in about 4 days I'll go out and shock it with chlorine just to keep in good standing.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 07:01:44 am »
I usually go and put a 1.5 PPM amount every other day from the day I soaked. It seems that if I go too long the water gets cloudy.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 07:33:22 am »

I use teh same "add chlorine after use method" with the same results but what you're desribing it the reason most of us like a simple dichlor routine. You add it after use, it sanitizes and then the next tme you go in the water is clear and the residual is low so you're not bathing in chemical soup. Now if you have too many days of non-use you'll want to add a tablespoon in between. How many days are too many days? I don't know because I've never let it go too far to find out. I know if we haven't been in the spa in about 4 days I'll go out and shock it with chlorine just to keep in good standing.

I also think that four days is a good benchmark.  I use a Nature2 cartridge and ozone and always add dichlor after use.  My water will stay clear longer without use, but I don't like to go that long.  No need to check for MPS.  If your total chlorine is the same as your free chlorine, your shock has done its job.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 10:45:29 am »
I usually add my "before each use" dichlor right AFTER I use the tub (I don't like to add chems right before I get in)  Anyway, when I test the water in between uses, It reads that there is little or no "total Chlorine" or "Free Chlorine".  It also routinely shows little or no MPS.  (I shock weekly with MPS)  How long should the "after each use" dichlor last and still show up on the test strips?  Should I be adding more Dichlor or MPS in between uses to maintain some "normal" level?  What do folks out there do?

You should check for Free Chlorine 5-10 minutes after adding the chlorine.  As long as you get it to the 3-5ppm range, you are doing good.  If you do not get it up to this range, you could just be adding to the combined chlorine level and not killing the bacteria.  
MPS once a week is a good plan to help keep the combined chlorine under control.  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 11:07:49 am »

You should check for Free Chlorine 5-10 minutes after adding the chlorine.  As long as you get it to the 3-5ppm range, you are doing good.  If you do not get it up to this range, you could just be adding to the combined chlorine level and not killing the bacteria.  
MPS once a week is a good plan to help keep the combined chlorine under control.  

This works for me.

However, I've been letting the MPS shock go a little longer than once a week.

For the most part, it's just me using the tub 2-3 times a week.  It's a 350 gal tub, with an ozinator and recently my dealer suggesting going out to every 2 weeks (this also helps keep the TDS lower). So far, it's worked pretty good.

IS there a rule of thumb for shocking rather than "one a week"? Something based more on actuall usuage?
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 11:17:51 am »

For the most part, it's just me using the tub 2-3 times a week.  

Drewstar,
I thought the tub was supposed to be a chick magnet?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 11:30:11 am »

Drewstar,
I thought the tub was supposed to be a chick magnet?

Well, kinda.  I think about chicks when I'm in the tub. (Huh, I wonder if this is the reason the tub has been cloudly lately?)  ::)
07 Caldera Geneva

hamrhed

• "Hard Tellin" "Not Knowin"
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 02:07:54 pm »

Drewstar,

Does that add to the TDS ???

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 02:11:52 pm »
Drewstar,

Does that add to the TDS ???

i was told that shocking with MPS will result in TDS  acumulating faster than with  a chlorine shock.  Some folks use a super does of chlorine to shock. I have heard of others alternating between MPS and Chlorine.

07 Caldera Geneva

hamrhed

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 02:15:24 pm »
Drewstar

Are you still on bromine?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 02:16:35 pm »
Drewstar

Are you still on bromine?

Nope. My new tub is Dichlor.  I haven't used Bromine in a long  
time.  
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 02:17:21 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

hamrhed

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 02:52:01 pm »

Oh, I thought you were in the process of the change over to dichlor from bromine...

I have been kicking that idea around for my next water change... Too see how i like the dichlor

For no specific reason ( If its not broke,,, I'll fix it)

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 04:27:23 pm »

IS there a rule of thumb for shocking rather than "one a week"? Something based more on actuall usuage?

When your combined chlorine level reaches .2 ppm, you should shock.  I have a method I use with my Taylor kit every week.  When my free chlorine level is at a minimum near zero, I test for total chlorine.  If any pink shows up, I shock.  If it stays clear, I let it go another week.  .2 ppm is hard to check for unless you have a titration system, so this seems to work for me.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 04:31:29 pm »
If you use the Aquachek Gold test strips, you can also test for Total and Free Chlorine at the same time.  Just subtract Free from Total and you will have Combined Chlorine.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 04:31:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42