What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Stereos & Remotes & T.V.s OH MY!!!  (Read 6775 times)

Snowbird

• What did he say?
Re: Stereos & Remotes & T.V.s OH MY!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2006, 04:24:40 pm »
All good points Chas.  Thank you.

I certainly hope that my spa will outlast any TV or Stereo that would be built into it.
So the problem of repair/replacement is inevitable.

Exterior entertainment devices are much easier to upgrade as well.  

K.I.S.S.

The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2006, 04:24:40 pm »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2006, 05:34:01 pm »
I would no more buy a spa with a stereo or a tv built in than I would buy a tv/stereo with a spa built in......
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

jcmsrv

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2006, 06:03:12 pm »
What I like about my hot tub, after I done using the jets to make back feel better, is shutting OFF the jets and sitting in warm QUIET water, looking up at the sky and enjoying peace and quiet. Thats the best!
john

Ehizzle

• "We're not here to talk nonsense to Bob Lablaw"
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2006, 06:20:17 pm »
Wow almost 20 posts and we haven't had one person with a TV built in them. Maybe Term was right, it's just a fad. I have always had the impression that it was a better idea to just buy a really nice tv that you know the tub wont ruin. For the cost most of the manufacturers charge for the tubs with the TV you could get a very very fine exterior product elswhere...without all the wondering weather it will work for more than a year.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2006, 06:47:36 pm »
Wow almost 20 posts and we haven't had one person with a TV built in them. Maybe Term was right, it's just a fad. I have always had the impression that it was a better idea to just buy a really nice tv that you know the tub wont ruin. For the cost most of the manufacturers charge for the tubs with the TV you could get a very very fine exterior product elswhere...without all the wondering weather it will work for more than a year.

I think it's mostly a showroom gimmick but certainly some people do buy them. I would speculate that the few people who buy maybe aren't typically the people who surf the internet to research this type of purchase in the first place (a generalization of course). I don't recall too many posts on this site realtaive to actual owners and just a scant few in my memory from Doc's site from the occasional owner gripping because the TV in the spa doesn't work right.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

PaulMc

• 2005 Sundance Majesta and lovin' it.
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2006, 07:03:41 pm »
  I love the stereo in my tub and my next one in however many years or decades will have one as well. I don't see the value in a tv however, but I did hook up an old 19 inch tv under the corner of the covered part of the deck so I could watch the Irish and some hockey. Took it in before the snow flew. Wouldn't buy a built in though.    paul
Owner, Sundance Majesta , July '05, Ontario Canada

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2006, 07:50:40 pm »
I'm waiting for the microwave option.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Duffman

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2006, 03:00:09 pm »
After setting up outdoor speakers to my receiver inside the house, my only remaining gripe was that I didn't have a way to change the channel on the TV or adjust the volume from the spa. I kept looking at possible options and eventually found what seems to be the perfect solution... The Balboa Dolphin waterproof remote control. It's made for spas, floats, looks great, has more features then I could have hoped for, and controls my whole entertainment center.

http://www.balboainstruments.com/

I had previously seen the dolphin or phazer model remote sold as a manufacturer option to control spa and/or audio features. The remotes even have the manufacturers name on them so some might think they're dedicated for those brands. What many people don't know is that anyone can buy the Balboa remote to control their whole entertainment center for a heck of a lot less money then what the dealer will normally charge. I contacted the sales department at Balboa by phone and they referred me to a regional distributor. Before calling them I was a little disheartened after getting 2 quotes from dealers for over $400 for the remotes they sell with their spas.  >:(

When I went through Balboa's recommended distributor the cost was only about $120 and I received it within a week!!!  Also, it was clean of another spa manufacturers brand name. No big deal but I got a similar feeling as getting a new car off a dealer's lot without their name being stuck to the fender 8)

Not only do these Balboa remotes float, the Dolphin has all the features of most universal remotes and more, including a convenient indoor/outdoor mount to hold it when not in use. You can teach it to use commands not recognized by the default control codes. Also, the Dolphin it has a radio as well as an IR transmitter. The Phazer remote is far more limited but it is good for spa and basic controls for built-in audio systems.

The radio transmitter means you don't have to be within 15 feet and have a clear line of sight to the entertainment center. To make use of the feature though you need the Balboa Command Center. This option is located inside your house near the entertainment center. When you use the remote, radio signals are received through walls/windows and at further distances where their are translated and transmitted as standard IR commands for your equipment. Since I watch TV from my spa through a window, I didn't need the command center to control my system.

There is a 3rd option Balboa has that allows the remote to control your spa's pumps, lights, and other features but I personally didn't see the need for it since my spa already has two control panels.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
From a previous post (description of my setup):

With my trusty dremel tool I cut a hole in the wall to run speaker wire outside to a pair of $220 Boston Acoustics outdoor speakers. Radio Shack sold me a cheap wall plate with banana plugs for the wires to give the installation a clean look. A little putty on the outside was pressed around the wires to keep air/moisture out. With a few clips I ran run the wires to the speakers such that they are hardly noticable.  

The whole project only took a few hours and cost $300 including the wire and other accessories. What matters to me more then the cost savings is that this installation sounds great! With the receiver I can plug in my ipod and enjoy my favorite tunes. Also, I can watch TV/DVD through the window thanks to an articulating arm that allows the flat panel TV to swing towards either the hot tub or to the sauna inside the house.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 11:48:50 am by Duffman »

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2006, 03:21:26 pm »
Not interested in a TV and at best plus/minus on stereo as I can link off the distributed audio in my house to put speakers under the deck where I hope to soon put a new spa.

But a cooler that could attach to the spa that I didn't have to get out of the tub to reach, now that would be something I would consider! Would have to look better than putting the igloo on a stand I would think.

Is there such a creature?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 03:21:49 pm by tanstaafl2 »
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2006, 03:21:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42