What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Can hot tub go on top of decks?  (Read 2613 times)

scotty1772

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Can hot tub go on top of decks?
« on: February 07, 2006, 06:49:43 pm »
Searching for hot tub now and trying to figure in all the other costs....wondering if I have to pour a pad or can put on deck....have plenty of room on professionally installed 10x30 deck and is only a couple of feet off the ground...please help.

Hot Tub Forum

Can hot tub go on top of decks?
« on: February 07, 2006, 06:49:43 pm »

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
Re: Can hot tub go on top of decks?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 06:52:57 pm »
Hot tubs can be placed on a deck provided the structure is designed to handle the loading.  Depending on tub size, they can exceed 6000 lbs. with a fairly small "footprint" which places a high load on the structure.  I'd get an engineer to check it out if you are not familiar with deck structure design.

Steve

mxw128

• Newbie with an 05 Vanguard
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 06:58:03 pm »
You can do it BUT you need to consider the weight of the tub.  400 + gallons at approx 8 lbs /gallon is 3200 lbs by itself, without considering the dry weight of the tub by itself.  The deck has to be designed or modified to hold that amount of weight.  You should be able to get an engineer or even a deck guy to take a look and let you know.  Your county building inspector may be able to help too.  

Mine is installed on my deck, but I built the deck to support it.  My 2x10s are 12 inches on center and I have a second doubled support in the middle.  

Be safe and hire a professional to advise you.  It may be only a few feet high, but you do not want to see it fail and be out a tub, deck and have someone get hurt.

Nitlion15

• Be vewry vewry quiet, I'm hunting Spa's.....
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 08:42:41 am »
I agree with getting a Civil Engineer to look at it.  I'm a Civil Engineer and there are specific design related issues to look for to make sure the load is distributed correctly.  Just because a "professional" installed the deck, unless it was designed to hold such a high load in a small area, it may be trouble.  Better to be safe than sorry on this type of issue.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 08:51:54 am »
Take your deck spec's to your city or county building inspectors office- whoever enforces the building codes in your area.  They'd need to know the footing depth, Post dimensions and placement, the size and spacing of any beams, size and spacing of joists, and size of the decking surface boards.  They'd also need to know the materials- pine, fir, cedar, etc.....
Most decks are framed with pressure treated pine of fir, but in some cases cedar may have used, and it isn't rated to hold the same load as pine or fir.  
If you have a blueprint at home or on file with the city, that'd make it easy.
Brewman

lawdawgva

• 06 Hot Springs Jetsetter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 03:54:52 pm »
This is a good imilar but alternate thread that has been going on about the same time as this one.  I'm sure most have looked at it, but if not:

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-hottub;action=display;num=1139361997;start=0

-Sarge
They're not doughnuts, they're glazed bagels.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 03:54:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42