What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: still spa searching  (Read 2864 times)

anne

still spa searching
« on: February 07, 2006, 02:05:59 am »
Can anyone comment on these price quotes? Dont know that they are hard and fast, as I did not counter much, just subtlely indicated my range, and made it clear that I'm serious to buy:

2005 floor model LA Spas Oasis with the "fancy-type-whats-it-called" (hehehe) ozone, 3 pumps  $7000 (there are two levels of ozonators they offer)

2005 new D1 Californian $7500

(As already mentioned, 2005 floor model Arctic Summit Legend, $7500- does NOT include ozone)

I know I'm not comparing apples to apples, but I am looking for a relative idea of how "good" these prices are for each unit. Some folks have already commented on the Arctic, I just threw that in so that the 3 that I was considering would be clear. LOVE the neck jets on both the LA and D1, but LOVE the seats on the Arctic, and the cedar skirt/steps/appearance of the whole thing.

One more question: Are there REALLY warranties out there that are "prorated"??????? As in: it is a 5 year warranty but the percentage of coverage decreases each year???? An unnamed dealer was trying to tell me that other unnamed companies do this.

thanks
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 02:06:47 am by anne »
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

still spa searching
« on: February 07, 2006, 02:05:59 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: still spa searching
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 08:39:42 am »
Read any warranty before you buy- often you can read these on the brand websites.  In our case, Sundance.
If the warranty is pro rated, it would say so.  
If they won't show you the warranty before you buy- run away.
What's in writing will always trump what is verbal.  

Discount any negative selling- Pay more attention to people telling you why you should buy their product than why you shouldn't buy their competition's.

Pricing is tough- what a legitimate price is in one region might not be possible, or may look like a steal in another.  Shop apples to apples in your area- any truly overpriced stuff should be come apparent.
Depending on where you live, you might not find dealers near you competing on the same brand.  

Find the spa that's right for you, at a dealer you have good vibes about, and negotiate the best deal you can, then stop worrying about how much paid.  
But do make sure that price quotes are for similar packages- A really low price might not be so low if they then add in delivery, steps, cover, startup chems, etc.
And don't forget about any expenses you might need for site prep- The base, and electrical service can add hundreds to your total costs.
Some dealers charge a trip fee for any service- even a warranty call- so find out about that.  Our dealer doesn't have a trip charge, but in our warranty is says the dealers have the right to do so.  Ask.

If you shop at a place that has a good reputation and has been in business a number of years, that should tell you they are doing something right- like not taking advantage of their customers.  
Brewman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 09:02:14 am »
My Dynasty warranty was fully explained and have lived up to it completely.   Other than cover and ozonator it is a 5 year "no fault" warranty.  As for the no fault, I don't think cracking the skirt because of improper mounting of the lifter is covered, but since the dealer outsourced the delivery, he covered it anyway.  Just before the 3 year anniversary they were out to replace a flo switch.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 09:27:17 am »

....Can anyone comment on these price quotes?

2005 new D1 Californian $7500....

FWIW:

Last Spring I was quoted $8300 for the D1 Californian. (Cover, Steps, Ozinator (UV), delivery of tub and removal of my old tub).   This was for a "floor model" and the factory rep was there giving me one time deal as they were having a "Factory Blowout!"  Couldn't wet test the unit, (although he did have me sit in the tub dry as he went on and on about the tub. I felt silly, as I only stopped in for some bromine and now found myself sitting in a dry hot tub in the middle of the sales floor as this smarmy sales person talked a mile a minute.  I avoid this spa store now like the plauge).

I personally didn't think this was a great deal and passed on it.  

Located in Central MA.
07 Caldera Geneva

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 05:45:03 pm »
One more question: Are there REALLY warranties out there that are "prorated"??????? As in: it is a 5 year warranty but the percentage of coverage decreases each year???? An unnamed dealer was trying to tell me that other unnamed companies do this.

thanks

Yes. Two examples come to mind:

Catalina, Softub

I am sure there are many, many more.

The warranty issue can and will be confusing. Some manufacturers have many exclusions. Others have one very vague exclusion. Some claim to offer "lifetime" this or that.

Homeworks Financing Representative

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 05:53:49 pm »
Yes. Two examples come to mind:

Catalina, Softub

I am sure there are many, many more.

The warranty issue can and will be confusing. Some manufacturers have many exclusions. Others have one very vague exclusion. Some claim to offer "lifetime" this or that.

Ask this question outright of each dealer and if it is a concern to you (it would be to me) let them know that whomever you purchase from you'll be requesting them to make the statement on the invoice that the warranty is not prorated.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 10:35:53 pm »
Read the Emerald Spa warranty, they state the customer is to pay for parts shipping. That's one of the reasons I stayed away from them. I imagine that it could get quite expensive having parts overnighted for repairs, after a while the consumer would have it sent by snail!

I've had 5 jets replaced under warranty and it has cost me about $15.00 for return postage to my dealer, I'm just too lasy to drive the 45 minutes to get there.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 10:35:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42