What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Frog  (Read 3844 times)

Jane and Russ

Spa Frog
« on: February 02, 2006, 10:26:33 am »
A couple of days ago we had our new Marquis Quest delivered as a warranty replacement for a 2 year old Marquis Wish that developed some cracks in the shell. With the Wish we had been using Soft Soak, and were satisfied with it. Our Qwest has come with the Spa Frog and we are going to give it a try. Today we are going to balance the water and shock, and by tonight it should be ready to put in the Spa Frog. The spa has a capacity of 340 gallons, and we have set the bromine cartridge to 2. This is a whole new system of sanitizing to us. I would appreciate comments from anyone who uses the Spa Frog. Thanks. Jane

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Frog
« on: February 02, 2006, 10:26:33 am »

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
Re: Spa Frog
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 10:42:41 am »
I use it. Check this thread. It was started just a few days ago: spa Frog system run away?

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

Rosebud

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 09:37:32 pm »
last evening I noticed that this topic of too much bromine from a Frog system has been on this forum and other forums multiple times….hmmmm, kinda makes you think about the system.

I have a theory that I would appreciate your feed back on…. I think the granular concentration of a frog in long-term transportation creates a powder like bromine concentration on the bottom (vibration grinding). Kind of like fine powder at the bottom of a box of laundry soap. This new Frog is put in the tub and booooom you have high concentration of Bromine. I am going to try the other member’s suggestions of this forum and use bromine tablets of known consistency inside a frog container (open the top, toss the spacer unit, and insert tablets) see other post earlier about this…any one else have any ideas on this? Even if I put my new Frog in at setting number one and I am set at only two- two hour filtrations in my Epic, I get a very high bromine reading with a new cartridge.  Any ideas? I am going to post this on my original post of “run away frog” thanks again!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 09:41:58 pm by Rosebud »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 10:28:42 pm »
The spa frog mineral cartride itself is a good product.  The issues seem to be with the in line system and the floater that contains both the bromine cartridge and the mineral cartridge.  Before King Technologies developed these two products, all they had was the mineral cartridge.  You placed it in the filter compartment and kept a low dosage of either chlorine or bromine.  The system worked fine and still does.  IMO, a frog cartidge in the filter and a regular bromine floater set to maintain one to three ppm bromine works best.

Snyper

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 01:02:56 am »
"I think the granular concentration of a frog in long-term transportation creates a powder like bromine concentration on the bottom (vibration grinding). Kind of like fine powder at the bottom of a box of laundry soap. This new Frog is put in the tub and booooom you have high concentration of Bromine. I am going to try the other member’s suggestions of this forum and use bromine tablets of known consistency inside a frog container (open the top, toss the spacer unit, and insert tablets) see other post earlier about this…any one else have any ideas on this?"

--------------------------------------------------------

I have the same feeling you have. I too will try the tablets and see if that helps.

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 03:14:23 am »
Using Spa Frog is like owning and using a Lexmark printer.  It's easy to use but is too damn expensive for the consumables.  If you can fill your cartridges, then go ahead, if not, save your money and use a floater or dichlor.
Steve

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 08:12:01 am »
I use a frog system on my pool.  It is a mineral cartridge with trichlor tabs.  I had the same problem with runaway chlorine levels.  I had to plumb it so that I could "turn down" the amount of water going through the frog.

I agree with the Lexmark printer analogy.

I personally don't think it is the powder, but the system.  I revert back to my earlier post.  King Tech systems that include the sanitizer use too much of the sanitizer.

BTW, I have tossed the mineral cartridge for the pool and use the frog as just a chlorine feeder.

jdheffer

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 09:32:36 am »
I have had my Epic for a little over 2 months and have not had any problems with high levels.  If anything I think they are always a little low (1ppm).  I shock 1-2 times a week depending on use.  My dealer says low is okay as long as you are using the mineral cart.  I use my tub about 4-5 times a week, I don't know if that matters.  

I have my bromine cart set on 2.  I do have to replace it every 3-4 weeks, which stinks.  I may try reusing the carts with tablets as others have suggested.  

Alex1

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 11:48:50 am »
jdheffer,
 I have had the exact same results as you. My dealer says keep it around 1ppm. I am now trying the 1" bromine tabs in the cartridge and set it to 3 (I kept the original at 2). I got 6 tabs in it with the spacer. I also shock once a week with mps. I just put it in on Wed. so I don't know how long yet the tabs will last. All has been fine with the in-line system so far. :D
                                   btw. GO STEELERS!!!!!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 11:58:09 am »
Snyper, You are right about the fine powder when you first open the cartridge. It is all over the clear plastic cover on new cartridges. I put a new cartridge in this morning, but first I dusted that all off the outside and rinsed the cartridge (this may not be a good idea but I did it). I am sure the majority of the really fine power however is inside the bottom of the cartridge. Since my bromine level, on the strip this morning, was at 0, this will be a good test.
JD, I  am glad you are having good luck. Talking to my dealer, I am one of a very few of his customers that are having problems with the frog.  :-[
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Rosebud

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 09:36:40 am »
I noticed that this topic of too much bromine from a Frog system is been on this forum and other forums multiple times….hmmmm, kinda makes you think about the system.

I have a theory that I would appreciate your feed back on…. I think the granular concentration of a frog in long-term transportation creates a powder like bromine concentration on the bottom (vibration grinding). Kind of like fine powder at the bottom of a box of laundry soap. This new Frog is put in the tub and booooom you have high concentration of Bromine. I am going to try the other member’s suggestions of this forum and use bromine tablets of known consistency inside a frog container (open the top, toss the spacer unit, and insert tablets) see other post earlier about this…any one else have any ideas on this? Even if I put my new Frog in at setting number one and I am set at only two- two hour filtrations in my Epic, I get a very high bromine reading with a new cartridge.  Any ideas? I am going to post this on my original post of “run away frog” thanks again!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 12:01:24 pm »
I put a new cartridge in yesterday and this morning the bromine was still reading 0. After reading Doc's post,  I understand that my strips can not detect the bromine until it is converted by an oxidizer. I shocked and my level is about 10.  That is fine and hopefully, I can get this thing right now. I think the frog is a great concept, but probably not for those of us who tend to over manage the water. I am looking for black and white and I guess since the parameters continuously change, there is no "in stone formula".... ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 12:01:24 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42