What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Freeze Protection Warning - DON'T PANIC!  (Read 6151 times)

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
Freeze Protection Warning - DON'T PANIC!
« on: January 31, 2006, 08:25:15 am »
Last night, the temperature outside was 48°. The water in the hot tub has been too foamy for the last month (my daughter and her friends) so I used it as my opportunity to change it out.
It went well, I used two hoses; one attached to a pump out to the street and a 2nd hose draining in the yard. It drained in record time and it melted some of the ice out on the street. I completed the usual stuff, wiping out the tub and then replaced the filters and cartridges.

OK, now here comes the learning experience. The water temperature from the faucet (city water) was 43° and after it was filled, when I turned on the breaker, I soon saw the message ICE flashing on the display and both pumps were working (normally, it's just pump 1). ??? I've never seen that before so I went to the manual and found it indicates freeze protection is on and that I should call for service. :O The manual didn't have much else to say about the ICE message so I went to the ultimate source of all things hot tub related and did a search on freeze protection on this site.

I was relieved to find out it was nothing to panic about. I read on one of the threads that once the water temp warms up to 55° (it started out at 43° out of the tap), freeze protection (and the ICE message) will go away, pump 2 will turn itself off and the tub will continue to heat the water to the desired temperature. That's a relief. I was afraid I'd have to call for service.
I checked the water at 5:30 this morning and, at 93°, it was still working it's way up to 102°.

;D By tonight, I'll be in clean hot water once again! ;D

Phil
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 08:25:45 am by Phil_ »
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

Hot Tub Forum

Freeze Protection Warning - DON'T PANIC!
« on: January 31, 2006, 08:25:15 am »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Freeze Protection Warning - DON'T PANIC!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 08:29:17 am »
Hey Phil,  that same thing happened on the initial fill of my Epic and the installer told me that it was just a protection feature and it would be fine, exactly as you have said. Thanks for reminding me though, I think I will drain and refill this week too. If the forcasters are right, we may still get a bit of winter next week.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 05:31:40 pm »
delivered a tub yesterday, ran the electrical (took alot longer than expected) filled, fired up... ICE flashing. i got a laugh out of it. customer was concerned. but like you said, water was cold!
Marquis dealer

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 06:14:13 pm »
Pump #2 comes on until 55?  That would be a big waste of power on my tub.  I also refilled this weekend and my water started at 42.   In cases like ours there should be an override since you are home and well aware of the condition.  Better safe than sorry I guess.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 05:35:25 pm »
Yes 43 degrees! ICE on the ole Coleman 461 Deluxe 9notice how I think I've become a pro?  ;D ) and the back pumps turn on to high AND the air valves seem like they have kicked in! Paniced the first time it happened! But, I've had it happen twice now and the whole thing except for the filtering turns off at 46 degrees. BUT....there is a but there......at 46 degrees I found out the heater is still going Full Tilt!!!  Which I absolutely don't mind cause my hot tub is ready for my slow lull into absolute heaven by late afternoon, early evening!

If I start filling at 10:30am I'm dipping my toes into nice 99 degree water by 6pm

hotubinn

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 11:21:15 am »
The water temp out of my hose is a cool 75 degrees!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 11:21:15 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42