What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Another chemical question  (Read 3130 times)

tkruel

• Master LSX
Another chemical question
« on: February 01, 2006, 06:13:09 am »
I have been using a bromine floater for about 5 monthes or so and never had any problems until now.  Usually I would need to add a little ph increaser every once in a while & my bromine level was always good.  I don't have a water test kit, but I have always used the strips.  I am going on about 2 1/2 months with this water and all of a sudden the chlorine level is at the max on the test strip & the bromine is a stange orangish/brown/green color on the strip and it should go from a light yellow to a light green for a high bromine level.  The ph & alk seem to be a little low but that is normal.  Also, my dealer told me to throw in a little enhanced shock after each use and like I said before, this method has been working great.  Does anyone have any ideas what happened to my normally great water??  Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Another chemical question
« on: February 01, 2006, 06:13:09 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Another chemical question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 08:21:02 am »
I've noticed that too, with my bromine.  It often spikes really high on the test.  When it does, I just pull the floater till it drops back down.  
I'm going to be changing to dichlor on my next water change, reading about everyones experience on this board, it seems like the easiest way to go.  I don't like the amount of Ph increaser and alk increaser I have to add during the time between water changes.  I've heard that dichlor has much less impact.  
Is your shock MPS?  I've notice that when I shock it tends to pull the bromine readings up.  Maybe you are shocking too often?  I do it weekly unless we use the tub way more than usual.
Brewman

tkruel

• Master LSX
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 08:25:24 am »
But where do you think the super high chlorine reading is coming from?  I never register much for chlorine except right after I put in the enhanced shock, which contains some chlorine.  I don't use MPS, just the "enhanced shock" after each use.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 08:48:18 am »
Oops, I didn't catch the chlorine part of your post.
Most bromine contains a considerable amount of chlorine- the brand I use has none, but I understand that is not the norm.  
I bought a new liquid test kit a couple weeks ago, and didn't notice that it was to test for chlorine.  I kept it anyway, since I'll be switching soon, but I did check the water anyway, and the bromine did register on the chlorine test- though my spa has no chlorine at all.
Not familiar with "enhanced shock" .  What does the lable say it's made of?

Brewman

tkruel

• Master LSX
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 09:03:26 am »
I'll check what it is made of & let you know later.  Thanks

tkruel

• Master LSX
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 02:43:32 pm »
I'll check what it is made of & let you know later.  Thanks

It is 58% di-chlor & 42% other

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 05:20:57 pm »
Test strips don't test for chlorine or bromine, per say........... They text for halogens. Chlorine and bromine are both halogens.

Bromine test strips are CALIBRATED to give a correct reading for bromine. Chlorine will also register on them, but the reading wont be accurate when compared to the color chart on the bottle.

Chlorine test strips are CALIBRATED to give a correct reading for Chlorine . Bromine will also register on them, but the reading wont be accurate when compared to the color chart on the bottle.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 07:08:06 pm »
Now there's an answer that makes sense!
I was wondering why that was the case with my getting readings on my chlorine test with my bromine water.  

Brewman

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 02:36:35 pm »
If you switch to dichlor, I recommend that you use dichlor to shock too.  Use 5x to 7x the daily dose to shock once per week.  The daily dose should be enough to raise the ppm of chlorine to 3-5 ppm and should be added once per day, prefereably right after use.  You will notice that the chlorine disappears after several hours.  That is not a problem.

MPS can be used, and would be a good choice for people who tend to use the spa several times per day as it would be OK to climb in the tub right after shocking with it.  The 5x to 7x formula for dichlor runs the chlorine up over 10 ppm, and you would be wise to stay out of the water until the level drops back down to something less than 5 ppm.  The reason I prefer dichlor for shocking rather than MPS is because MPS adds a LOT of dissolved solids to the water.  Dichlor is better/more effective anyway.

Regards,

Bill

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 03:29:39 pm »
Thanks for that advice.  I will almost certainly be switching over to dichlor as soon as I change my water in a few weeks.  By then my bromine will be almost out.
I'll still have a huge supply of MPS on hand, but I'm sure I can slowly use it up or just give it away.
I am planning on using dichlor for shocking in most cases, precisely for the TDS reason you gave.
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 03:29:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42