What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Appointment Only?!?!  (Read 4666 times)

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
Appointment Only?!?!
« on: January 31, 2006, 06:55:41 pm »
Today I drove by the Jaccuzzi dealership in Orlando curious to see the new models and maybe price out some accessories.  There was a sign on the door and it said they have redesigned their marketing to open only by appointment.  The showroom seemed in good shape with several models on display.  I felt a sinking feeling wondering how service will be in the future.  I have also been unable to get a tech to return my calls for a small matter.

Before I form my opinion and start running my mouth off, I wanted to see if anyone had heard of a dealership running this way?

Hot Tub Forum

Appointment Only?!?!
« on: January 31, 2006, 06:55:41 pm »

socal

• so it begins
Re: Appointment Only?!?!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 06:59:24 pm »
if its a smaller operation (single owner 1/0 employees) i could understand "by appointment" 1 day a week, but the entire opperation??? that is odd.
Marquis dealer

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 07:05:00 pm »
 finally heard back.  seems that Matt, the manager moved away and it's being run by one guy who is dealing with personal issues an trying to run the store.

I expressed my concern and got the story about how long Jacuzzi has been around.

I would steer clear of them if you live in Orlando.

They seem desperate for a salesman and based on the knowlege I picked up over the year as well as my love for hot tubs, I would be tempted to give it a try if I wasn't supporting a family of four on a nice income and benefits in a business I have been in for 12 years.

I feel the pen is the best weapon and can't imagine Jaccuzzi will allow their name to go up in smoke.  I also know the power of word of mouth and how quickly a person can be put off a brand based on other's feedback.

Is Hotspring having a sale?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 07:27:04 pm by orlandoguy »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 07:41:31 pm »
Is Hotspring having a sale?

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 07:55:21 pm »
There's a Beachcomber dealer by me that in Oct 2004 when I went shopping around was closed whenever they were supposed to be open. After the second weekend that I went by, I e-mailed them to see what was going on. I was interested in this "store" because they have a decent reputation as a chemical supplier and I figured I would give them a shot.

I got an e-mail back and basically the guy said that he wasn't that busy and decided to take a vacation. When I e-mailed Beachcomber  about what happens if I owned their tub and this person was closed, the response I got was "How much of an emergency could it be" (something like that).

I decided to stay away from the dealer (even for chemicals) and DEFINATELY stayed away from Beqachcomber!

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 08:00:10 pm »
You were lucky to discover that before buying the tub.

I am still really happy with my Jaccuzzi and hopefully won't need to test their service techs.

I have heard of very exclusive diamond stores opening for appointment only but hell, these are heated toilet bowls we're talking about here.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 08:21:37 pm »
"heated toilet bowls"   ??? ??? ???
Hopefully he is just trying to re-group.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 08:27:24 pm »
Hopefully they'll get back on track! SOmetimes Life gets in the way of business and vice versa!

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 08:42:07 pm »
The dealership was previously a Hotspring dealership then went to Jaccuzzi.  Maybe the spot is cursed?  It is actually on a very busy highway.

Bonibelle, I was kidding about the toilet bowl comparison, I was just a little pissed ;D

cappykat

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 09:12:02 pm »
Orlandoguy....whoa, I am surprised!!  I am also sooo glad we didn't buy that j385 now, you know that was the other hot-tub we were considering.  I bet that couple that bought the D1 isn't a happy camper either.  They bought the mac daddy D1 and tried to talk us into it.    We really liked Matt also and I would be pissed if I was in your boat.

Hopefully, they will get things straight and you'll have some support.  Keep us posted on what happens.
2005 Marquis Epic

hotubinn

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 09:46:41 am »
I got an e-mail back and basically the guy said that he wasn't that busy and decided to take a vacation. When I e-mailed Beachcomber  about what happens if I owned their tub and this person was closed, the response I got was "How much of an emergency could it be" (something like that).

!

Sometimes I think people forget that it is a SPA, not a heart lung machine required for survival.  Everybody needs to recharge their batteries once in a while.  If the store is closed for a month, ya I would worry.  If it is closed for a week, why worry (it won't change anything, just make you miserable)- chances are it could take that long for an appointment anyway.  Just my (maybe frustrated) two cents.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 04:12:37 pm »
My take on this is that ANY brick and mortar retail operation that has a desire to succed has to work the project by being opened for business.  Virtually 100% of the time that a retail store is closed, no sales can occur.  

Walmart, a company I hate, is nevertheless the most successful retailer in the world.  They set the standard.  They are opened 24/7.  That might not seem practical for the spa business, but closing and locking the doors should not be taken lightly.  

Your dealer with the sign on their locked door is in the business of going out of business.  Terminator and Chas, and the other guys like them are sharing with us what it takes to be successful.  

Regards,

Bill  

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 04:34:41 pm »

Sometimes I think people forget that it is a SPA, not a heart lung machine required for survival.  Everybody needs to recharge their batteries once in a while.  If the store is closed for a month, ya I would worry.  If it is closed for a week, why worry (it won't change anything, just make you miserable)- chances are it could take that long for an appointment anyway.  Just my (maybe frustrated) two cents.

If you live in an area that gets cold ... you need someone there right away or as soon as fesable. Someone who closes up shop, goes on a week's vacation and isn't available for returning or new customers isn't reliable IMO. The other thing is the manufacturer seemed as though there's nothing wrong with that.

It doesn't matter what you service ... broken is broken.  After putting up a good chunk of change, I would hope the dealer would come through in a timely manner.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 04:43:06 pm »
Yep.  I have an underling named Amy whose sole purpose is to do my bidding.  I am taking tomorrow off to help my Ol' Pappy move some vehicles off his property and my underling will be here servicing my customers, should they need it.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 06:53:13 pm »
Update:

I spoke to the guy running the shop and he seems confident service won't suffer.  He said Jacuzzi just contacted him to do a service call an hour away and had no problem covering the expenses.

My guess is that someone will take advantage of the situation and pick up the slack or take over the store.  If they're having so much trouble staffing the place, they might need to evaluate what type of environment they currently have as far as a nice place to work.

Jacuzzi has been around for a long time and the product is a big seller, especially here where many people spend a great deal of time and money to create an enjoyable outdoor area considering the average year round temp is mid 70's.

But, back to the original subject,  I find it very likely many customers will get in their car and drive away forever when they see a sign requiring an appointment to see spas.  I remember taking a couple days to drive around looking at spas and meeting dealers when I was shopping.  Had the sign been up then, I would probably be in a different tub right now.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 06:54:28 pm by orlandoguy »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 06:53:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42