What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Buying Hot Tub on Ebay??  (Read 6017 times)

jnsjr58

• Do like the smart piggy... build it with brick!!
Buying Hot Tub on Ebay??
« on: January 29, 2006, 03:12:03 pm »
I am in the process of bidding on a new 6 Person 66 Jet Spa from Pinnacle Spa's Elite Series - The Aspen on Ebay. I'm old enough to know to listen to my "Gut feeling" but the savings potential is unreal. Please, somebody........ zap me back to reailty........ soon!!
Thanks
Jim

Hot Tub Forum

Buying Hot Tub on Ebay??
« on: January 29, 2006, 03:12:03 pm »

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
Re: Buying Hot Tub on Ebay??
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 03:16:53 pm »
Zap-Zap-Zap, If the savings are unreal, maybe they are unreal, never buy sight unseen. Zap

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 04:18:45 pm »
I would say do not be fooled...you are paying what the spa is worth....ebay can be fine for somethings but if its something that you can always find there than it just a like any other place to buy....its really not much of a bid when if you want three you can have three.....there are many poorly made spas that one can find locally with out going to ebay for.....infalted jet counts and number of pumps do not mean better value.....what I am saying is that it not so much of a real deal as much as that is what that spa pretty much sells for...

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 06:46:41 pm »
You're risking that it'll be what you expect site unseen. You also will be the repair person if/when issues arise no matter what you're promised.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

jim97219

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 11:50:31 pm »
Listen to your gut.  It's right.  

Seriously, at the very least, go visit a dealer and talk with them.  If possible, meet the owner and the service manager.  Odds are, they're great people and they'll be impressed you want to meet them.   Their business and their future both depend on making you happy with your tub.  They will work hard to get you happy and to keep you happy.   Do you think the eBay seller will do the same?  I seriously doubt it.

I'm not a dealer nor do I have any ties to the industry except as a hot tub owner.

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 08:15:44 am »
Another thing that must be considered when looking at these 'lesser' quality spas is energy efficiency. You may save a little up front on the initial cost but the operating costs may soon eat up those savings and then some.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 08:24:23 am »
Perk1 raises a good point- There are reasons that some of these spas are inexpensive.  One way to cut costs is to skimp on the insulation.  If this is the case here, you'll pay the electric company over the life of the spa, instead of paying a bit more up front.  
I'm not a betting man, but if I was, I'd bet that energy prices aren't going to go down during the next decade.
Brewman

jnsjr58

• Do like the smart piggy... build it with brick!!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 09:13:20 am »
As well as the good advise i'm getting here. I am starting to get some good responces from people who bought spas on ebay.....................  Very mixed reviews. I am holding my bids at this point and will be doing some futher research.
Thanks to all for your advise.

Chris_H

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 10:09:36 am »
I talked to a good friend who is a Hotspring dealer this past weekend.  They had a good story about Ebay purchases.  Last year, in the beginning of spring they had two friends who wanted to buy two spas.  I am sure every dealer has one of these stories.

Obviously, because they were buying two spas they wanted a “deal” for two Caspians.  They said fine because they had two leftover 2004 models.  The deal eventually does not go through for whatever reason.  

However, one of the guys purchases a spa online (the dealer didn’t know this at the time) and the other guy doesn’t buy a spa.  Now comes this past weekend, the one that hasn’t bought the spa comes in looking for a spa and the salesperson remembers him because of the “deal” from last year.  Trust me, salespeople don’t forget $16,000 dollar deals.

The salesperson says to him, what happened to your friend?  He bought a spa online.  Salesperson response:  When would you like to set up delivery for your new Grandee?

I did a little paraphrasing, but I think you should get the point.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 11:17:09 am »
In the spa industry, there are some people who sell cheap and then skate on the service. Sometimes they just don't have a clue how to run a business, other times they are downright dishonest. How to avoid those folks, and deal instead with the honest people who DO have a clue, and who WILL be there to help you down the road? Here are some things to look for:

• The bigger the name brand, the better your chance of having a good buying and owning experience.
  • If at all possible, you want to see the tub before you buy.
  • You want to see things like color,
  • fit and finish, general qulaity.
  • You want to try the depth by sitting in it dry,
  • And if you are very wise, you will try the comfort by sitting in it wet.
  • The longer the dealer has been in business, the better.
  • And finally, the easier it is for you to walk into the store and remind the dealer that you paid him a lot of money, the better.

Now which of these is missing with an Ebay purchase?
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 11:22:40 am »
In the spa industry, there are some people who sell cheap and then skate on the service. Sometimes they just don't have a clue how to run a business, other times they are downright dishonest. How to avoid those folks, and deal instead with the honest people who DO have a clue, and who WILL be there to help you down the road? Here are some things to look for:

• The bigger the name brand, the better your chance of having a good buying and owning experience.
  • If at all possible, you want to see the tub before you buy.
  • You want to see things like color,
  • fit and finish, general qulaity.
  • You want to try the depth by sitting in it dry,
  • And if you are very wise, you will try the comfort by sitting in it wet.
  • The longer the dealer has been in business, the better.
  • And finally, the easier it is for you to walk into the store and remind the dealer that you paid him a lot of money, the better.
Now which of these is missing with an Ebay purchase?

ummmmmm........all of the above.......

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 12:24:42 pm »
As well as the good advise i'm getting here. I am starting to get some good responces from people who bought spas on ebay.....................  Very mixed reviews. I am holding my bids at this point and will be doing some futher research.
Thanks to all for your advise.

I'd concentrate on the negative ones, since I suspect that all may be well until there's a problem an then who do you call.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 12:41:10 pm »
I am starting to get some good responces from people who bought spas on ebay.....................  Very mixed reviews.

Are you finding good results or mixed reviews? There will be some with good reviews but the others will tell you that they thought they were getting a deal but were really buying a lesser prodcut for lesser $$. The lure of the eBay spas is people think they're buying a dollar bill for $0.85 and that's just not true. You get what you pay for and in this case it's a crapshoot. The people who seem to be the happiest with these type purchasers are the do-it-yourselfers who are willing and able to be their own spa setup guy and service person. If that's not you I have one word of advice for you: fagetaboutit. Otherwise, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?"
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 01:39:51 pm »
My point with Ebay is at times you can find some good buys and some hard to find itmes...but I know many people who make a full or part time livings buying and reselling on Ebay....people I know here in so cal who will go to the wholesale district in LA and buy things just to sell on Ebay ....again it is not a true Bid situation if you want say 3 in three different colors and you can get them....at that point it is just a retail operation and Ebay is the store front....

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 01:43:40 pm »
Over on Doc's board, there is an ongoing saga of someone having a huge problem getting her Home Depot spa serviced.  Sounds like she's getting the royal run around on a control board problem.  
And that's on a locally purchased spa.
Imaging the additional level of complexity she may have without even a local presence.  
Ebay sure wouldn't get involved in any service issues.
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 01:43:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42