What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Would appreciate some new spa advice  (Read 4712 times)

anne

Would appreciate some new spa advice
« on: January 29, 2006, 07:55:18 pm »
I am new to this site, though from the many threads that I have read, sounds like there is a lot of knowledge and experience out there. I have been wanting to buy a hot tub for about 3 years, and finally (I hope) have enough saved to get serious about it. I grew up with a traditional redwood barrel-style tub that my father built, and so I remember how addictive and relaxing they can be. I have a fairly good idea of what I want from some dry testing and other people's tubs and internet research, but have not wet tested yet. Like others, I went out there thinking that $3K would do the job.......sigh. So I have accepted that I need to spend more, but I'd REALLY like to keep it under $6K, if that is possible (still getting a quality product). I am becoming familiar with all the "big" names out there, but my impression is that I would have to spend $8-9K for a decent spa. The best analogy I can come up with is that I want a Honda- not a Lexus, but also not a Kia. (Hope I'm not offending any Kia drivers out there....)

I want:
1)7 foot (8foot ok but overkill) with a lounge
2)shoulder jets
3)a reasonable number of jets, but I have no specific theraputic needs- I just am a very active person with a stressful job who loves hot water.
4)head/neck pads
5)a quiet system
6)independent seat controls would be nice, but are NOT a deal breaker.

I DONT want:
1)sound system
2)bubblers/whirlpool/special therapy jets
3)waterfall, other special effects
4)extra lights/LEDs/etc.

I live in the Sacramento, CA area, so I'm lucky enough to have almost all dealers that I have heard of within a 45 min drive, except Sundance.

So I guess my questions are, with the above background,

1) Am I going to find something for less than $6K?
2) With the above guidelines, can anyone recommend specific models? (Even if they are over 6K, I still appreciate the ideas)
3) Can anyone recommend a dealer in this area?

I have other questions, but dont want to be too much of a pest....yet. Thanks, thanks, thanks!

« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 07:56:50 pm by anne »
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

Would appreciate some new spa advice
« on: January 29, 2006, 07:55:18 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Would appreciate some new spa advice
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 08:11:27 pm »
For around $6K, you have a few choices.

Look at Beachcomber, Artesian Island Series, Coleman and secondary spa lines from Master, Sundance and possibly Dimension 1 (D1) and Marquis.

I went looking in late 2004 and these were around $6,000. I didn't have a chance to see the Marquis and D1 lines. There are probably others, but this is what I saw.

I bought an Artesian Island and this line can be configured how you want/need it. I think LA Spas does the same.

As far as questions, ask away - we all did!

Good Luck!

salesdvl

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 09:43:25 pm »
Yes, LA has many different jet configurations for each of their spa models.
Based on your description the Oasis model or the San Juan from the Tropical series would work.
Measure once, cut twice.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 10:08:28 pm »
Anne,

You have described the Tiger River Bengal.  

Full disclosure message:  I am a dealer.  
Go to http://tigerriver.hotspring.com/Models/spa_models_bengal.html for more info.  

I don't know what it sells for in other markets, but in the Sacramento market it can meet your budget.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

jim97219

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 11:38:04 pm »
Another good brand that's not terribly well-known is Hydropool, http://www.hydropoolhottubs.com/.  Their Serenity 6000 is a nice hot tub, about the size you're looking for and is in your price range.  You might also look at their 600 series self-cleaning units.  They're a bit more money but should be in your price range.

Disclaimer:  I'm not a dealer nor do I own one but I do have one on order ;D and can't wait till it's here.

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 08:12:29 am »
Anne, this is a great time of year to go spa shopping IMHO.  Alot of dealers will have 2005 spas that they would like to move to make room for the 2006 spas.  I bought my spa in late Jan early Feb of 03 and it was a 2002 model.  The price I paid in Jan 03 was quite a bit less than the price I was quoted in May 02 for the same spa.  I guess what I am trying to say is start hitting the spa dealers.  Tell them your budget. I am sure every major manufacturer will have a number of spas in your price range.  I beleive $6000 will get you a very nice spa especially if you dont mind buying an 05 model. Good luck and keep us posted.

Full disclosure, I am a dealer but just not spas...dont tell the police...LOL...

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 01:36:07 pm »
Don't forget to look at the used market.

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 05:17:51 pm »
as far as Marquis goes, they have a double lounger in their everyday line which meets your size requierment. its called the 530 (5 seating positions-30 jets).
the next model down with a lounger would be in the "hideaway" line, but it is a little smaller (6 1/2).  it has 1/2 the amount of jets. it has 5 seating positions as well.
hope that gives you a little better idea of what Marquis has to offer pertaining to your list of "wants".
check with your local dealer as he/she might have an '05 they are looking to move. Couldnt hurt IMO.
Marquis dealer

anne

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 10:35:50 pm »
Thank you all for your input. I hope to get out this weekend for some serious shopping. I'm really hoping that there might be an '05 floor model with my name on it somewhere.
Dance like nobody's watching

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 11:09:30 pm »
Another good brand that's not terribly well-known is Hydropool, http://www.hydropoolhottubs.com/.  Their Serenity 6000 is a nice hot tub, about the size you're looking for and is in your price range.  You might also look at their 600 series self-cleaning units.  They're a bit more money but should be in your price range.

Disclaimer:  I'm not a dealer nor do I own one but I do have one on order ;D and can't wait till it's here.

Good luck with your search and this Jim guys seems like he's on the ball! ;) Which model did you purchase?

Enjoy your spa Jim and if there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 11:09:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42