What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Placement  (Read 6341 times)

spahopeful

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Hot Tub Placement
« on: January 26, 2006, 12:44:43 am »
I'm considering buying a hot tub (Marqui Epic, Sundance Optima, Hot Springs Vista are possible choices).  I want to place it next to my deck, which is 27" off the ground.  I'm thinking the hot tub will then be 10-12" above the deck surface.  There is no concrete deck next to the deck and I would like to spare the expense and trouble of pouring a concrete deck only to be covered up by a hot tub.  One sales person told me I should build up the area under the deck by another 6-8 inches so I would have better entry into the tub.  I have varying opionions as to what I should use under the hot tub.  Any suggestions?

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Placement
« on: January 26, 2006, 12:44:43 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Hot Tub Placement
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 07:39:51 am »
A 4" thick reinforced concrete pad is the standard spa foundation.  Other possibilities are pavers, pea rock, spa pads, wooden deck, etc.  
Whatever you chose, make sure it can adequately support the spa.  You won't get warranty coverage on any damage caused by an inadequate foundation.
Make sure if you put it on a wooden deck, that you build it to adequately support the extra weight of the spa.  Check with an engineer to make sure anything you build meets code for a deck supporting that much weight.  
 Also make sure that you have service access to the spa.  If you sink it into a deck, you'll need to build in some way to get the service panels off, and have enough room for a repair tech to work.
Finally, whatever foundation you pick, make sure the spa maker allows it.
Brewman

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 09:34:34 am »
Under the spa definatly needs to be level and solid.  Since you want to bring the spa height up a bit more, perhaps rail road ties (on a crushed stone base) would work?  How many ties you would need and their placement and spacing is a question for some one else  ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 10:36:47 am »
For ease of entry, if you can set it up so that the entry step (cool down seat or wherever you first step upon entry) is at the same height as your deck, that may be best.  At least that is what I have found...you don't step "up" or "down" into the tub, just lift your leg over the side...easy to balance that way.  Just my opinion :)

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 04:14:49 pm »
For ease of entry, if you can set it up so that the entry step (cool down seat or wherever you first step upon entry) is at the same height as your deck, that may be best.  At least that is what I have found...you don't step "up" or "down" into the tub, just lift your leg over the side...easy to balance that way.  Just my opinion :)

Completely agree.  That is how mine is set up also.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 05:48:12 pm »
Sometimes it can be difficult to set a tub next to a deck. You have to look at the equipment side and the entry step to make sure your not setting the tub next to the deck and not allowing access to the equipment because of it, it takes some though, and you need to look at which tub can be placed so the equipment is accesable. Filter is accesable and your step is in the right place. I know raising it up to allow ease of access is a good thing but lowering it to allow the equipment access should also be considered. A simple pool rail will help to allow stepping down into the tub, and the the placement can maybe be adjusted to allow work on equipment under the deck. But you said 27 inches and I know I would not want to work under there. So you need to make sure whatever tub you choose has equipment on an open side away from your deck and access or cool down step/seat on the side of the deck. Or a section of deck extending from your exsisting deck out to the tub that can be removed, like I did.
Retired

jim97219

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 10:53:49 pm »
How far will it be from the house, or rather the door outside?  Mine is about six paces from the master bedroom (part of the reason I bought the house in the first place).  I think you'll find the closer it is to the house, the more you'll use it.

Just my 2˘ worth.

Jim

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 08:43:52 am »
How far will it be from the house, or rather the door outside?  Mine is about six paces from the master bedroom (part of the reason I bought the house in the first place).  I think you'll find the closer it is to the house, the more you'll use it.

Just my 2˘ worth.

Jim

I was watching a home improvement show the other weekend, and a realator was discussing ways to add resale value to a property. The owner was thinking about placeing a hot tob out in the yard, and she advised him to put it close to the house for the same reasons; it won't be used as often if it's far away from the house.  (mine is four steps a back side door and it's great. esp in the cold).

As far as this installation is concerend, would adding on to the deck be an option, and placing the tub onto/into  the new deck area?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 08:44:39 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

PaulMc

• 2005 Sundance Majesta and lovin' it.
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 07:23:25 am »
  I placed ours right beside our existing deck. If you look at the homepage or whatever that icon is by our names you can see in the last 4 pictures or so show where I dug out a lilac bush and sandbox and then where I placed the tub before I extended the deck. Tub is 21  inches from deck and 36 inches from wall.

Existing deck is about 18 inches high I believe, so top of tub to deck addition is about the same 18-19 inches. Had a choice of building the extension up six inches or so, or even lower it, but opted to leave it flush, as I think it's better in the snow. It's easy to get in and out, particularily using the handle by the controls.

Access - make sure there's room for access. Knock on wood we haven't needed to service the tub yet but I built the extension so that it is removeable by taking a few deck boards off and then taking out the lag screws that hold the new part to the existing and to the wall and the privacy fence/lattice is removable, so all four sides are easily accessed if need be.

Like everyone else I wanted to get into using it as quickly as possible so I just put what resembles a fence with privacy lattice on the two outside sides and it will do for now. I managed to have a little shelf between the posts so beverages have a nice place to be. Maybe this summer we'll finish some landscaping if I can get the other todo's on the list whittled down, and I'll do something different with the lattice/fence.

Good luck and have fun planning.   paul
Owner, Sundance Majesta , July '05, Ontario Canada

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 07:23:25 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42