What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Marquis Reward 2005 - Electric cost  (Read 6765 times)

NCourt2

Marquis Reward 2005 - Electric cost
« on: January 26, 2006, 11:48:53 pm »
Does anyone know what the average electric cost (kwh and $) would be for a 2005 Marquis Reward being used by two people no more than two or three times a month?

Our kwh have doubled from last year at this time (900) starting from the time we got the tub to over 1700 last month with the only known difference being the tub (the average temp. was basically the same).

I know Marquis makes a very good tub and that energy costs have gone up but it doesn't explain the increase in kwh to almost double.  Is there any way to measure this (connect a meter to the tub?) or to figure out if the tub has a problem because the cost is becoming very substantial.

Thanks for any input.

Hot Tub Forum

Marquis Reward 2005 - Electric cost
« on: January 26, 2006, 11:48:53 pm »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Re: Marquis Reward 2005 - Electric cost
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 01:00:31 am »
What part of the country do you live in? How much is electricity where you live? If I used 800 Kwh my spa bill would be about $160. I'm on a tiered system paying around $.20 per Kwh for the spa in Southern California. Are you sure your calculations are correct? 800 Kwh is very high for a spa. I would give it another month to see if it's that high again. Something doesn't seem right.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Brookenstein

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 01:11:51 am »
I'm not going to be any help, but I know what you mean.  Last winter my bill was just about $120/mo.  The past few months my bills have been over $200/mo.  I have no idea what the tub is costing me though as my bill 3 months ago (the month before I got the tub) was actually higher at $220.  My average usage per day last month was 37.65... a year ago was 27.22.

BTW, I have an 05 Envoy and use it almost daily for about 45 minutes at 101.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 02:12:55 am »
Well,
Here I set in Cabo San Lucas unable to sleep so I thought I would go out on the deck with my laptop and kill some night.

Court, how are you my friend?! I can tell you that many, many people in our state are questioning whether their spa (no matter the brand) is suddenly sucking up amps and causing their power bills to double. We have seen a 25 to 40% increase in power bills along with one of the consistently coldest winters in years. Everyone was in shock over their bills last month. I have fielded several calls from folks that have had their spa for years and wonder suddenly why their electric bill is through the roof.

I can assure you it is not the spa but rather the price hike, wind and cold this year. If you want to direct your concern towards a way to fix it, take a look at some of the ways you can tighten down your home. Many people are spending more time at home, indoors this year than ever before for several reasons. Better football, cold, gas prices and more.

At my house we are working on better door seals, concentrating on lights, consolidating laundry, coming in and out through the front door instead of the garage and yes even shorting the filter cycles on the spa and letting the clean up cycle do it's job.

I will get in touch with you when I get back in town and talk about some things you can to economize with the spa.

NCourt2

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 02:45:44 am »
I live in Colorado - just north of Stuart (hello to you too.  I thought I might find you around here).  I'm not exactly sure of the cost but I think it is around $.10 kwh.  We have noticed an increase for a while now and my wife has been on the phone several times with the utility company and they are blaming it on the spa pointing back to the very month that we bought it without us telling them.  The home is newer has new energy efficient windows.  We have even polled the neighbors and we are than those without spas and 25% to 40% higher than those that do have spas.

Is anyone aware of a way to measure the actual electrical use of the spa other than a calculated guestimate?

Stuart - we are doing well but life is busy - too busy when you only use your spa as often as we have the last few months.  Hopefully that will change.  Take care and have a good time in the sun.   8)  

MarKee

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 04:07:10 am »
Some states have peak electricity, if you are in one of those states be sure to set your filtration and smart clean cycles around these times.  You can do this on any 05 or 06 Reward, Destiny, or Epic.

Stuart: Are you in Cabo for the MQ dealer conference?  If so, I'll see you down there, I'm flying in on Sunday.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 05:20:44 am »
Talk to your power company, spa dealer, or a local electrician about metering the tub if you want. It is not free but may be worth your money to actualy know how many KWH your tub is using. Leave it hooked up for several months to try different things and get a good read.
Retired

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 07:45:57 am »
How many hours a day do you filter?
How many hours per week do you tub?
Have you got any new appliances such as an electric clothes drier?

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 12:36:27 pm »
Well,
Here I set in Cabo San Lucas unable to sleep so I thought I would go out on the deck with my laptop and kill some night.

stuart.....you are having a hard life  ;D wish i was able to join/meet all you guys down there.....have a margarrita for me. ill see you next year!!
Marquis dealer

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 01:17:44 pm »
Some states have peak electricity, if you are in one of those states be sure to set your filtration and smart clean cycles around these times.  You can do this on any 05 or 06 Reward, Destiny, or Epic.

Stuart: Are you in Cabo for the MQ dealer conference?  If so, I'll see you down there, I'm flying in on Sunday.

Why yes I am! I will see you sunday!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 01:20:52 pm »
I challenged a local power company last year for a similar incident and it turned out that both customers were on a average billing and the power company raised their bill by almost $100 per month to compensate. I won the challenge...both customers where reimbersed money.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 01:28:01 pm »
 Last winter my bill was just about $120/mo.  The past few months my bills have been over $200/mo.  I have no idea what the tub is costing me though as my bill 3 months ago (the month before I got the tub) was actually higher at $220.  

If you have last years bills see what your KWh usage was then versus now (average it over a few months)and that'll bascially be your spa draw assuming you haven't added/subtracted anything else (like a new mechanical bull for the livingroom or a spotlight in the bedroom).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Brookenstein

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 01:46:02 pm »
... assuming you haven't added/subtracted anything else (like a new mechanical bull for the livingroom or a spotlight in the bedroom).

Between you and wmmcall I swear there is a hidden camera somewhere in my house and you guys are watching live feeds.  This is getting eerie.   ;D

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 01:53:58 pm »

Between you and wmmcall I swear there is a hidden camera somewhere in my house and you guys are watching live feeds.  This is getting eerie.   ;D

$19.95/month. I had to find some way to cover for my kids college funds.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 01:53:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42