What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 1999 Grandee  (Read 4658 times)

BK

• 06 Sundance Optima
1999 Grandee
« on: January 24, 2006, 10:44:46 pm »
I've mentioned to several people that I'm looking for a tub. Word made it around and this happened:

The neighbor lady has a 1999 Grandee that has been unused for two years. She is interested in selling it.
She was quoted 3500 for it by the dealer she bought it from, 225 miles away. I think she'd sell it to me for that.

What should I do to evaluate it, mechanically and otherwise? What is the total possible downside? How much could it cost to fix anything that might be wrong, and what might those anythings be? Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 10:45:35 pm by BK »

Hot Tub Forum

1999 Grandee
« on: January 24, 2006, 10:44:46 pm »

Brookenstein

Re: 1999 Grandee
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 11:23:45 pm »
I know HS keep their value, especially when resold by dealers... BUT, with that being said I think that is a lot of money on a 7yr old tub that hasn't been run for 2 years.  I'm curious if that quote was what the dealer would resell it for or if that is what they would pay for it on trade in.  If that is the resale price, I don't think you should pay the same private party.  Most dealers would give the tub a once over before they sold it and may even offer a limited warranty with it.

I looked at used tubs for a couple months and most in my area were in the 4k mark, but that was for tubs that were 2-3 years old.  When they got older than that the prices typically went to the 2-3k mark.

Has the tub been empty this entire time?  Is the neighbor willing to fill it and let you see it up and running?  Do you live in a climate where you would have to worry about freezing and it being maintained properly while it wasn't being used?

BK

• 06 Sundance Optima
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 11:39:41 pm »
Oh she'd have to fill it and run it before I'd take it. I'm wondering what else might be wrong with it. We do live in a freezing climate. That is a real concern. It does look nice.

The price is trade in value, I think. It's a meaningless figure given the way tubs are priced. But it's a starting point.

Brookenstein

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 11:45:25 pm »
I would be concerned that it was properly drained and winterized.

Have you found any other used spas for sale in your area to give you a price comparison?  I used craigslist and recycler.  I checked everyday for a couple months.  There would be weeks with nothing, and then a few really good ones that actually sold before I had a chance to see them.

Trade-in and resale price could vary dramatically so I'd be curious which one it is.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 10:23:55 am »
Bk,

In another thread, it seems that you are considering an $8000.00 new tub and here you are considering a $3500 7 year old used tub.  

I got that you want a tub.  ;D  

If the budget has that much swing in it, I personanly would lean towards a new tub, or one that is slighty used. A 7 year old hotspring maybe a decent tub, but it is 7 years old that has sat unused for at least 2 freezing winters.  

If $3500 is the budget,  then I would serioluy take a look at the neighbors tub. Get it up and running. Sit in it  And keep it filled for a few days  to see how it holds up. (Temp, circ, leaks).  Actually you might want to have the tub flushed out before actually sitting in it.

You will need new filters, of course, but also take a good look at the cover.  A new cover can cost you a few bills.
Also, It seems that Ozinators are only rated for a few years.  

If you need  a new ozinator, new cover, new filters, a few jets, say the steps need replacing ect. You could be looking at $1500 to bring the tub into decent shape and still have a 7 year old tub that may have future probems.

Perhaps since she is a neighbor you could get a better deal. Ask her if she can help you out on the price.  Offer her $2500.  ;)   Don't forget to see if they will toss in the breaker box and any accesssories.  
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 10:38:37 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 10:55:23 am »
Another expense which may rear its ugly head since it sat dry for so long is the cost of replacing any dry rotted/leaking seals in the pumps.  I'm by no means an expert but I would bet if the rubber seals sat dry for two years through the heat of the summer and the cold of the winter that there would be some failure there when you fill the tub.  If you do decide to have her fill it make sure you pull the equipment bay door off and check for leaks around the pumps/heater.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 11:36:37 am »
Good advice from everyone.  I'd be willing to bet a dollar the thing runs like a champ!  I've seen it many, many times.  Very well-made spa very similiar to the 2006 Classic Series version.  Good luck!

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 11:52:11 am »

Here's all the major components and items I could think of:

Heater
Pump(s)
Circ Pump
Ozonator  
Control Panel
Burried Full Foam Leak  (Cabinet Plumbing)
Cover
Cover lifter
Steps
Cabinet skirt
Filter
Shell crack/damage
Valves
jets/nozzles (moto massage?)

What would be the single most exspesive thing to repair on this tub?

What has a life span greater than 7 years?

I think a  matrix of repair cost/life expectancy would help  illustrate the cost/benifits/risk  of this deal.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 11:55:29 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

BK

• 06 Sundance Optima
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 03:01:23 pm »
Thanks for the thoughtful replies.

I can buy a new tub or I can buy a used one. If the used is serviceable then I can go with that esp where it's a top of the line tub from a great manufacturer. We wouldn't be considering it if not.

One of the real problems I have is where I live. One dealer in town carrying products I don't want. I have a long way to drive to see someone else's product or get something fixed. 175 miles at a minimum.

My hope is that someone could tell me what my top end was on this deal. I think you've helped me. Thanks.

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 04:31:59 pm »
Here I am, Drewster. :)

I don't know what the resale value of the spa would be, certainly there are people here who would know exactly.

In terms of repair - have her fill it up, heat it up and run it in every jet configuration. Let it run for a couple days.

If the only area that you get leaks from is the pump, don't let that be a deal killer. It's cheap and easy to fix a pump leak.

If however, water comes out from under the tub, you have more of an issue.

If the leak is due to a cracked jet or pipe, it's more effort to fix. If you're a diy person, it's cheap in terms of materials. However, if you want someone to fix it, you're going to pay for labor more than anything else in that case.

If the shell has a crack or leak, I'd personally walk away.

I think that would be my primary concern, especially living in an area that freezes.

If you're looking at 8000 for a tub, and the "3500" (or whatever price) spa is a good fit for you, in terms of jets and comfort, I'd say you can do a lot of jet repairs and pump rebuilds and still be way ahead.

If you're thinking about something with eventual resale value... hmmm.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 04:36:04 pm »
BK.

I gave ST18901 a heads up about this and asked to get his butt in here, as he's not a dealer, just a regular folk who has rebuilt an 20 year old hot springs tub and knows first hand the trials and tribulations to owing and fixing a used tub.  :)

He's a bit funny looking, but don't let that get to you.  ;) He seems to be a fairly down to earth guy.  ;D
07 Caldera Geneva

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 10:31:15 pm »
Is this an elderly lady that only used the spa on Sundays after church for just 3 minutes each time?

BK

• 06 Sundance Optima
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006, 11:42:01 pm »
Again thanks for the help. She's not elderly, she was widowed fairly young, then remarried and moved to the new husband's house and left this house basically empty, and left the tub as well.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006, 11:42:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42