What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: If I/you had to do it all over again.  (Read 6970 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
If I/you had to do it all over again.
« on: January 03, 2006, 12:11:57 am »
I was thinking that only those of you who have had thier tubs at least a year should respond to this, but its a free country, or continent if your prefer, and a semi free website  ;)    But if you have something to add, feel free.

My tub is three years old, and as long as the manufacturer continues to support me, I'll have this tub at least till its 5 years old unless something unforseen happens.

But being your moderator, I still stop in different dealers to look around and its almost like shopping.  Occasionally I think it I had to do it all over again, would I do anything differently?

Well, we talk about being comfortable with your dealer, well I was, and that isn't worth much 3 years later for me.  If I had to buy today I probably wouldn't consider Dynasty since we don't have a local dealer any more. This tub has been so right for us, but I'd need local support.

There is the old lounger vs no lounger issue.  For me at this point, its the least used seat in our tub, but I'm glad its there, but if wouldn't be a top priority and a good deal could sway me to go either way.

I bought without wet testing, but now that I know what I like, I'd have to wet test.  That leads you into the do you wet test a similar model, or only the exact one?  I'd take that one on a case by case basis.

Texture vs smooth surface.  My wife would probably win out and we would get a textured surface again, but I sure like to looks of some of your pearlescent tubs. We have no children and infrequent guests, I think we could take care of a smooth tub.

In a similar note, my lights are dissapointing.  It uses a color wheel and the colors can't be stopped. When on it rotates through the colors. Lower model Dynasty tubs and newer models have modes where you can stop the colors. I don't know how I ended up with the crappy lights.

Waterfall? I rarely use it, wouldn't pay extra for it.
Display, I like being able to see the set temp and the current temp on command, that would be a high priority for me.

Ozone? I'm not sure. I'm probaby be replacing mine soon, its almost 3 years old. Now that I'm more experienced, I may be more likely to notice a difference, if there is one, when I get it working again.  More on that when it happens.

Pumps.  I did fall for the 7hp pumps.  I guess they are actually 4.6hp continuous, but they are strong.  That is still important to me.  I like calm tranquil water, but I want to be able to strip paint when needed. I suffer from restless leg syndrome and strong jets are the only thing that give me relief.  I currently have 2 pumps, a single speed (Hi) and a dual speed (Hi-low)  Having more dual speed pumps would be a big seller for me.  

I'd definitely buy a better cover lifter. Why spend $7000 and get cheap on a cover lifter?  I didn't know any better. I'd go for a good hydraulic assist mounted under the tub.

I'd probably give more weight to a design with a cool down seat.  

open seating vs molded seats.   Again I think the wife would win out and we would end up with open seating, and I like that alot, but I might consider an open design that had one molded therapy seat with jets to hit the upper thighs.

Powerful foot jet. - I love that about ours, would definitely look for that.

Perhaps I'll have more thoughts after reading some of your replies.

Happy 2006!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 12:13:59 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

If I/you had to do it all over again.
« on: January 03, 2006, 12:11:57 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: If I/you had to do it all over again.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 12:20:36 am »
Oh, yea, neck jets. Nothing relieves a tension headache in the neck and back of the head like neck jets.

I also like having removable jets.  I added  couple more spinner and pulsating jets, but I have moved them to where I want them and there probably isn't another tub exactly like mine anywhere, and it is perfect for me!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 12:21:34 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 08:38:05 am »
I'd probably stay with our Optima, but would opt for the synthetic cabinetry.  Now I think that's all Sundance offers- no wood anymore.
We have good dealer and service support- as I found out several weeks ago when our circulation pump needed replacing during a cold snap.  So no complaints there.
I'd definately not have started out using Baqua had I known about that stuff- but I replaced it over a year ago.
Jet placement and power is fine for us.  Seating is also fine- plenty of options there.  

All in all, I don't think I'd change too much.

Brewman

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 08:50:18 am »
well, I would stay with the arctic tundra if I had to do it all over.  I would have liked to spend the extra money for the extra jets.  I dont have enough foot jets, that is a regret of mine.  

I love the cedar, but the staining could become an issue for me down the road.  

My dealer support is wonderful, and I have not had any problems.

other than that, I am completely satisfied.  I am still thinking about enclosing my unit, but that will have to wait as the basement project is now underway.  That will own my next 10,000.  Once this basement is finished, I think that will be it for me and my home renovations.

Well, the wife is calling for new flooring upstairs as well.  Will it ever end.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 09:19:54 am »
well, I would stay with the arctic tundra if I had to do it all over.  I would have liked to spend the extra money for the extra jets.  I dont have enough foot jets, that is a regret of mine.  

I love the cedar, but the staining could become an issue for me down the road.  

My dealer support is wonderful, and I have not had any problems.

other than that, I am completely satisfied.  I am still thinking about enclosing my unit, but that will have to wait as the basement project is now underway.  That will own my next 10,000.  Once this basement is finished, I think that will be it for me and my home renovations.

Well, the wife is calling for new flooring upstairs as well.  Will it ever end.

Bosco,
How long have you had your tub?

07 Caldera Geneva

spaceguy

• Hey!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 09:21:08 am »
I have had to do it all over again sort of as I moved and needed to get a new tub...

Dealer support is important.  I also need good therapy for my back and health issues so this typically means a tub with more pumps and jets.  I like a lounger and got one again.  Also seats with good therapy.

I could do without the waterfalls and built in stereo... But usually the better tubs have them so I got those but don't use them.  I also got the fiber optic lights and jets and they are nice.

I got a deal from the Dynasty factory in TN and they have supported me very well.  It is a variation of their paramount deluxe as I don't have pop up speakers but two built in, and no TV.

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 11:42:18 am »
If I could do it all over again, and probably will in 3-4 years.....

If money isn't an issue....I'm looking at either a Sundance Optima or Majesta and HS Grandee / Vanguard.  Although I've been happy with my Jacuzzi J-355, I think there are some things that those manufacturers offer that I don't have.

I would also opt for a darker coloured shell, that doesn't give the water any particular tint.  

I do have a lounger now, and would change that to a non lounge, as my wife really can't use that seat, and it limits our tub to really a 4 person tub despite the fact that it's over 7 foot square.  

I would consider Jacuzzi again however if my money situation is the same, and if they change their filtration system to a fixed area with a weir (similar to SD or HS)

Ironically, I was just going to start a post on this very topic!!

Mark

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 11:56:14 am »
What would we do different, that's easy.

We love everything about our Optima, but even with just us two in it, we still play footsies sometimes.

Next time....Maxxus, all the way! (And to think at first we were looking at the two person tubs)  ::)

cappykat

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 11:58:31 am »
We haven't had our tub a year...but there are a few things I'd do differently.  Like mccall...I could do without the waterfall...would definitely get the foot dome.  We have pretty good foot therapy in our Epic but only in two seats.  I like the dome because all parties can use it.

I like the pearlescent finish.  I thought I wanted the textured finish but glad we didn't go that route.  We've had no problems with the pearlescent so far.  Hopefully, I can say that further down the road.
Love the soundsations!!  I like having music in the tub.  It's very soothing.  All in all very pleased with our Epic but when it comes time to replace will probably look at other brands without the tri-zone.  

Not complaining about the tri-zone...just that in 10-15 years when it's time to replace I'm sure there will be new and even better options.  By then we'll be ready for something different.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 12:01:36 pm by cappykat »
2005 Marquis Epic

tootsie

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 12:40:06 pm »
we'll I haven't had my tub a year, but anyways there are a couple of things I wish were done differently.

1.  I wish we would have justified more money and got the bigger tubs  solera or heet (LA Spas), but being a first time owner I never thought that we would be using and enjoying the thing as much as we do, so the justification for spending that much wasn't there.

2. I would get a lighter color.  I like the looks of the midnight color, but the led light is best said as a big disappointment.  

3.  Placement--looked good when we got it, but now with the colder weather and wind, it's not such a great place.  but we can change that this spring. so look forward to the question what's the best way to move a hot tub?

I do think I would keep the LA model, dealership, ozone and even the waterfalls and lounger.  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 12:48:48 pm »
I'm going to chime in as well. I have had my Tiger River Caspain for almost a year, and prior to that I had a Nordic for 2 years.

Overall I am very happy with the Caspian.  

It's got a waterfall which I only turn on a few times if at all. Like Wm said, I would not pay extra for this.

It's only has one large, colored light.  ( Bug zapper blue). It has 3 dimming postions and I like it a lot. I wouldn't pay extra for lights on the next tub.

I love the foot dome and would look for that feature again.

I don't have a lounger and do not regret it.  I prefer to have more seating for entertaining.

Cool off seats are a must. I have 2  and they get used a lot.  

I wish I had neck jets ! This would be on my list!

I wish I had more rotating/swirley jets.

I have the plastic steps and they work fine, but they are a bit lightweight and if you step on them wrong, they can move on you.  I can upgrade these,  and proabaly would prefer a larger/longer step.

I have 2 molded seats and they are great,  but I love to entertain and really enjoy the open seats.  some open seating is must for me.

I would prefer the display to show actual and set temp, but wouldn't give it a lot of weight in my final decision. (nice to have, but I wouldn't trade anything off for it, or pay a lot more for it).

My tub is 7' by 7'. It fits me fine, but If I was buying again I wouldn't mind something bigger. :)  Not deeper, but more room for more freinds is always good :)

I have several cup holders and they are used constantly.  Gotta have cup holders. A must.  And plenty of em!

I have a 24 hr circ pump and ozone and can't complain.

I like the 24 hr circ pump better than the timed filter cycles on my older tub, as it's not as nosiey (the tub is outsided the bedroom and  I could hear the filter cycles on the older tub.)

I didn't listen to a tub with a stereo installed (I was already over my budget) but next time I would at least test a tub with one.  Although my outdoor bose speakers are fine, they are hard to hear above the jets. I am curious if the in-spa steroes work better?

« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 12:56:08 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 01:49:53 pm »
drewstar, I have had my tub for 6 months now

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 02:01:17 pm »
drewstar, I have had my tub for 6 months now

Thanks.

How often do they rercomend staining the cedar? my old tub was cedar and wasn't properly taken care of, by the time it made it's way to me, it was in pretty bad shape.

The cedar looked like crap and was a shame. I see the new tubs with the cedar and they look stunning.  (I've got the perma wood and happy so far).

The old cedar skirt does burn well.  :)
07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2006, 02:37:36 pm »
How often the wood needs maintenance depends a lot on the environment the spa is in.  
We have redwood instead of cedar, but I suspect maintenance wise they are the same- our deck is largely cedar and needs maintenance like our spa does.
Our spa sits behind the house under the deck, so on 3 sides, it's pretty protected from the elements.  On the 4th side- the one which points south, and also unprotected from direct sun, and our irrigation system, and rain, etc,,  the finish fades and needs touching up yearly.  If it wasn't for this, the other 3 sides would only need touch up maybe every 2 or 3 years.
Our next spa, if there is one, will have synthetic cabinetry.

Brewman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2006, 02:44:07 pm »
I've got a redwood cabinet and I clean and stain it once per year.  It looks great but does take a good half day to get it done.

My spa is three and a half years old.  When I purchased it was down to Sundance and HotSpring.  Now, I would add Caldera to the mix and choose between the three.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 02:45:11 pm by tony »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2006, 02:44:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42