What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Itch  (Read 8378 times)

skylark350

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Hot Tub Itch
« on: January 15, 2006, 11:13:55 am »
I'm a newby with a new hot tub.

Last Sunday I filed the tub, added metal be gone, balanced ALK but ph has been at 7.8. I also added defender to prevent scale as well as Spa Guard Sanitizer diclor to get to 4ppm. Yesterday I corrected the PH and its at 7.5.

During the week each  time I tested  free clorine taylor test kit result was clear (0PPM!) so I added 1 to 1.5 teaspoons of diclor and then got in.

Used tub three times and feel ichy.

Maybe I should have superclorinated the tub and refilled initially?

Anyway, last night I added 2.5 tablespoons of MPS and 1.5  of diclor.

Would use of different chems be an idea i.e. bromine etc? I think I just might not be doing the right thing as a newby with the diclor. Maybe I should use the vision cartridge and be less dependant on diclor?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Itch
« on: January 15, 2006, 11:13:55 am »

Brookenstein

Re: Hot Tub Itch
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 12:14:24 pm »
I'm a newbie as well, so not sure how much help I will be.  But here goes...

How long between when you added the dichlor and you tested the water?  Dichlor dissipates quickly and if some time had passed it probably would measure next to nothing.

I have never had to adjust my PH or ALK, but here is my chemical schedule.  Weekly I add Stain/Scale stuff and MPS.  Daily after use I put in a couple tsp of Dichlor.  If the water starts to get cloudy or I don't use the tub for a couple days I will superchlorinate with Dichlor.  This has worked well for us.

As for the itch... couple other questions.  Do you itch all over?  Do you have a rash?  My husband still gets itchy from some of the jets, but not from the water itself.  He has very sensitive feet and if he massages his feet with the foot jets too much his feet start itching.  The only time I got a little itchy was when I went topless and had the jets directly on my back for the first time.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 12:18:20 pm »
Skylark,

I recommend going to Doc's site and reading the FAQ on the Vermonter method.  It's the chlorine bible for spa users.

http://www.rhtubs.com/bbs/FAQ.htm
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

skylark350

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 12:29:59 pm »
Hi Brook

Not knowing what I was doing when I checked Dichlor and saw it measured next to nothing I put more in before soaking ... apparently a mistake. I guess the diclor  dissapating means it worked and it doesn't have to stay at a constant reading like the alk and ph.

I itched all over but not really badly. I don't have a rash but skin looked a bit red in spots.

When you superclorinate how much do you put in and how long do you wait until you go back in tub. I assume you test to see the level is below 5 PPM per the instruction on the bottle. I have a silver cartridge the dealer gave which is supposed to allow you to keep diclor at 1ppm.

Also do you know what the difference is between the oxidizer labeled shock vs enhanced shock?

I'm thrilled to have the tub and hope this initial iching problem iis caused by inexperience on my part. I never had a problem in a pool or hotel spa.

Thanks for your help.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 03:45:19 pm »
If you follow the link that Gomboman posted, this is the method that a lot of people use.

Hot water can be drying, add chlorine and it could be really annoying to your skin.

Non chlorine shock is MPS which is an oxidizer and doesn't sanitize. Enhanced shock contains chlorine, they are used basically the same way the only difference is how much chlorine the enhanced shock adds.

MPS can cause some people to have skin irritation so maybe skip the MPS for now. If you superchlorinate to get rid of the combined chlorine (CC), you need 10 times the CC reading in free chlorine to get rid of the CC (ex: 0.5 PPM CC needs at least 5 PPM free chlorine).

Chlorine disapates in a tub for 2 reasons: it's being used up and the heat destoys it. Water will get cloudy without the proper amount of santizer in the water, finding the correct amount and how often to put it in is a learning experience for everyone.

Sometimes tubs have a growth of bacteria (biofilm) that's not killed off by superchlorination and this is where heavy chlorination (100 PPM) comes into play to kill it. At this point assume this is not the cause unless the tub got away from you and it was really nasty.

I'm fairly new to tubbing and I thought my tub would act similar to my pool, it doesn't! We all have that dreaded learning curve but it does get easier.

Good luck!

skylark350

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 04:37:45 pm »
Vinny,

Thanks so much for the info.

skylark350

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 04:42:08 pm »
Gomboman,

Thanks for the link!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 04:54:55 pm »
I am sure this is not the case but are you feeling itchy all over or only where you sit in front of the jets...if it happens to be this....than maybe it just water pressure / or smaller jets that are making you itch...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 09:02:47 am »
I'm a newby with a new hot tub.

Last Sunday I filed the tub, added metal be gone, balanced ALK but ph has been at 7.8. I also added defender to prevent scale as well as Spa Guard Sanitizer diclor to get to 4ppm. Yesterday I corrected the PH and its at 7.5.

During the week each  time I tested  free clorine taylor test kit result was clear (0PPM!) so I added 1 to 1.5 teaspoons of diclor and then got in.

Used tub three times and feel ichy.

Maybe I should have superclorinated the tub and refilled initially?

Anyway, last night I added 2.5 tablespoons of MPS and 1.5  of diclor.

Would use of different chems be an idea i.e. bromine etc? I think I just might not be doing the right thing as a newby with the diclor. Maybe I should use the vision cartridge and be less dependant on diclor?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I  would not add the dichlor before getting into the tub.  Soaking in  highly chlorinated water could be what is causing the itchy skin (also, now that the cold dry air is blowing through much of the country, I've noticed more posts on itchy skin. The dry, cold air can greatly agrievate sensitive skin)

I use dichlor (and and Ozinator) in my tub.   I only  add the dichlor AFTER I get out of the tub. This will kill any bacteria and sanitize the water, but will also have low Chlorine levels next time when I get into soak.

I only shock with MPS about every 10-14 days (Depending on how much the tub is used

Try a bit of hydrocortozone cream, and let the itchy skin heal, and try adding the dichlor after the soak and see if it makes a difference.

Let us know how it works out for you.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 09:06:31 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

skylark350

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 08:01:22 pm »
Drewstar,

Thanks for your advice.

I'm also using ozinator and vision cartridge to lower needed amount of diclor.

I went in the tub last night and added dichlor after I got out and did not have the same reaction. I have a little ichyness but it might be mind over matter or residual from last week.

I was thinking of shocking with dichlor (around 2 table spoons weekly) and waiting for levels to go down before entering tub.

Do you think I should shock with MPS instead?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 09:24:54 am »
Drewstar,

Thanks for your advice.

I'm also using ozinator and vision cartridge to lower needed amount of diclor.

I went in the tub last night and added dichlor after I got out and did not have the same reaction. I have a little ichyness but it might be mind over matter or residual from last week.

I was thinking of shocking with dichlor (around 2 table spoons weekly) and waiting for levels to go down before entering tub.

Do you think I should shock with MPS instead?

Skylark,

Shock with Dichlor or MPS?

I am just starting to learn about this as well.   My dealer recomends MPS,  however many folks here Shock by using a "Super Dose" of Dichlor, or alternate between MPS and Dichlor as a shock.

It's my understanding that a Dichlor Shock is a bit cheaper (if that's a concern),  and doesn't contribute as much to a tubs total disolved solids (TDS).  It takes longer ( a day or so ?  ?  ?) for the chlorine levels to return to safe levels if you use Dichlor.

MPS is quicker, and eaiser, and allows you to use the tub sooner, but I have heard it contributes significantly to TDS.

I am thinkning on alternating between Dichlor as a shock and MPS to see what works best for me.  I like the quickness of MPS, but since I am in the cold North East, and winter time  water changes out are difficult this time of year, TDS  is a concern.

Perhaps some of our Chemical experts here can enlighten us more?  

:D
07 Caldera Geneva

skylark350

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 11:26:11 am »
Drewstar,

I'm in the cold North East as well (Long Island NY) and unless we have a warm day water changes are not easy to do.

I also read some people may have skin sensitivity to MPS ...
however I"m pretty sure getting into the tub after putting in dichlor was my probllem ... time will tell.

Thanks again for you response.

:)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 11:26:11 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42