What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ozone in Baqua Spa?  (Read 9035 times)

Seymourkate

Ozone in Baqua Spa?
« on: December 04, 2005, 04:54:43 pm »
Our Caldera Martinique spa is scheduled to be delivered next Sat and the salesman, as well as the district mgr, heavily recommended Baqua Spa chemical kit and no ozone.  Why?  Their reasons were ozone is unnecessary expense.  This is to be our first spa and I need to know if this is true or not before we get it started.  Thanks for all your help!  :)

Hot Tub Forum

Ozone in Baqua Spa?
« on: December 04, 2005, 04:54:43 pm »

J._McD

Re: Ozone in Baqua Spa?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 05:36:14 pm »
It would be suggested that you do a search on ozone and BaquaSpa seperately researching previous posts for some background, this subject has been discussed many times before.

Plan on using one or the other, but not both together.  

Here is your first clue, you constantly are purchasing BaquaSpa products to use and consume, and it aint cheap.  Ozone is an electrical appliance that you add to the spa that has a life expectancy of 3 to 5 years and reduces the need for chemicals.  

In short, IF you use them both together, ozone will oxidize, or otherwise cancel and consume the BaquaSpa product causing you to use twice as much of the expensive stuff doubling your cost for chemicals.

They are both good and have their strong points and supporters, but if you refer to the BaquaSpa booklet and refer to using it with ozone it clearly states that you will use twice as much product and this only consumes your money. :-/

Seymourkate

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 06:10:18 pm »
Thank you for the response.  I must be searching incorrectly, because when I tried searching on "Baqua" or "BaquaSpa," I couldn't/can't get anything to come up.  The dealer gave us a choice of Bromine or Baqua spa as chemicals and Ozone or not.  I was only trying to figure out what is best.  Sorry.

NJDave

• It's just more fun to be in hot water!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 06:25:04 pm »
 Positives:  No Chlorine or Bromine in Spa.

Negatives:
                  1. Cost is double any other sanitizer.
                  2. Clogs Filters. Restricting Flow. Causing
                      "FLO" error problems and service issues.
                  3. Destructive to Plastics and Vinyl. Such as
                      filter tops, spa covers etc.
                  4. Cloudy Water Complaints.
                  5. Indoor Spas- Compaints of coughing.
                  6. Can not be used with disposable filters
                      offered by Sundance and other co's.
                  7. Less effective in spas with an ozonator.

NJDave

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 06:33:01 pm »
Sorry, forgot to mention I was speaking about Baqua Spa.

Seymourkate

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 08:09:45 pm »
NJ Dave- Wow!  Thank you so much for educating me on Baqua Spa.  Of course the dealer kept pushing it on us, but I wanted to figure out exactly why.  Sounds like they will make more $$ with the Baqua Spa over Bromine.  I was leaning to Ozone after reading a lot about it, but I had not found info on using Baqua spa with Ozone.  The dealer wasn't giving us much choice other than baqua spa and kept telling us that we were wasting our money on the Ozone.  Thanks again!

J._McD

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 10:12:11 pm »
Thank you for the response.  I must be searching incorrectly, because when I tried searching on "Baqua" or "BaquaSpa," I couldn't/can't get anything to come up.  The dealer gave us a choice of Bromine or Baqua spa as chemicals and Ozone or not.  I was only trying to figure out what is best.  Sorry.

When you search, change the default which is the past "7 days", change that to 180 or 365 to go back further.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 10:12:49 pm by J._McD »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 11:13:18 pm »
I used to use Baqua Spa, and it is really expensive compared to conventional sanitizers.  I find it amusing that your dealer would recommend it as a way to save money.  We had trouble with water care using Baqua- just couldn't get it to work.  We got the famous Baqua Cough.
Brewman

NJDave

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 11:53:38 pm »
Seymourkate,
Your welcome. Yes, Baqua Spa is  a very profitable chemical line. But, it can really drive service guys crazy, when it clogs filters and shuts down the heater, from a "FLO" condition. There are some users that will say it works for them. But, must folks will tell you they tried it and switched to another  sanitizer. Whether it be Bromine, Dichlor, Nature 2 w/Dichlor, Nature 2 w/MPS, to name a few. Goodluck and enjoy your new tub. Dave.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 07:50:43 am »
I find that people either love Baqua or hate it.  Many friends I know who own spas use it and love it.  I have never tried it and to be honest, won't because personally I agree with the previous opinions.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 02:01:11 pm by tony »

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 12:23:04 pm »
Tested Baqua years ago and also got the Baqua Cough.  More trouble than it's worth.

KennyG

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 07:19:33 pm »
   Well I guess we're the "odd couple" to say the least. We've been using Baqua Spa in our two year old Marquis Euphoria without any problems at all. No slime, smell, rings, scum, green water, part failures, buildup, sneezing, itching and that so-called death...."Baqua Cough".
   My wife has some pretty bad allergy's and it doesn't effect her one bit. Is it for everyone? Probably not but because it caused pain and grief for some doesn't mean it will for "everyone". It's also not meant for some spas/HT especially older models. Like with any chemicals you should contact the manufacture if you have any doubts about the advice or recomendationon what to use. Likewise whatever chemicals you do decide to use follow the instructions to the letter or you'll get disastrous results no matter what. Research and knowledge is your best friend.

Kenny J.

Ehizzle

• "We're not here to talk nonsense to Bob Lablaw"
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 07:47:55 pm »
You are all making alot of good point. However I disagree with the statement that most people that try it switch to something else. Most of our customers that have tried it are still using and have been for quite some time. It is not for everyone though, that much is certain. The infamous "low flo reading" that everyone gets is not just the chemicals fault. People using baquaspa should clean their filters 2x as often as someone with chlorine. If you do this you should have no flo issues.
Also I didnt notice the Baquaspa telling you that you shouldnt use an ozonator. In fact they say it is ok. Obviously they do this because it does work and yes you will buy twice as much of their product.
Baquaspa is a good product if you want to pay more for less maintenance (if you do it properly), or if you are alergic to chlorine.

lawdawgva

• 06 Hot Springs Jetsetter
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 11:59:01 pm »
I started off with Baqua Spa (which is basically the same thing as Soft Soak line) simply because it came with my tub.  It was a fairly easy routine to follow, but I too developed the cough that many Baqua Spa users get and my tub was even outdoors!

A while back, I switched to the Nature 2 Cartridge, added an ozonator and use SpaGuard Enhanced Shock and couldn't be happier.  Water is crystal clear all the time, smells clean, feels good to the skin and this routine is just as, if not easier than Baquaspa.  The N2 cartridge gets replaced every 4 mos, the ozonator runs 24/7 on my circ pump and the SpaGuard ES gets added during my regular routine.

Definately worth the switch...for me anyway.  Happy tubbing!

-Sarge
They're not doughnuts, they're glazed bagels.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 07:44:22 am »
I'd really like someone to explain to me why we were having baqua spa problems.  We kept our Ph and Alk in the recommended range, kept the sanitizer level as recomended, used the shock and waterline control as instructed.  After several weeks, the water got really "fizzy", especially if we put air in the jets.  Then we'd start hacking and coughing to the point where we couldn't enjoy soaking.  Nobody I talked to, and that was at 2 Baqua dealers, plus the email assistance line at the Baqua company, could tell us why this was happening.  
I'd love to know what we were doing wrong, but nobody seems to know.

Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 07:44:22 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42