What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Did my dealer give me wrong information  (Read 3150 times)

Anoroc

Did my dealer give me wrong information
« on: January 06, 2006, 12:47:45 pm »
An interesting thing happened last week when I took a sample of my water to my dealer to test.  After telling me that I needed to increase TA and than add PH decrease and dichlor she went on to ask if I ever considered the chlorine tablets (tri-chlor).

I told her that I thought that would void the HS warranty since it wasn't Dichlor.  She disagreed and said that is a warning so that the spa cover doesn't get damaged and she also said even if I had problems they would never tell what chlorine system I was using.

This dealer is mostly in the pool business and I believe most of their profits are generated from the commercial side of the business.  It almost seems like the spa business is treated like a side business.  

They have three sales people and two of the three are younger than 24 and their lack of experience is clearly evident and their sales skills are highly underdeveloped.

I just get mixed vibes from these folks.

Was I getting bad informatio from them?!  That is the question.... ???

Hot Tub Forum

Did my dealer give me wrong information
« on: January 06, 2006, 12:47:45 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Did my dealer give me wrong information
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 12:51:32 pm »
i've alwasy heard that Trichlor rapidly breaks down in hot water, so fast it cannot sanitize properly and was unsuitable for hot tubs.  

I found Askallen (A pool and spa site)  in addition to the above, he also says Trichlor is very acidic and can damage the heater.

http://www.askalanaquestion.com/chlorine.htm
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 12:55:40 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 12:54:58 pm »
It's always subjective when you have a damaged part as to whether there is chemical damage present to void the warranty. I think the "good guys" give the benefit of the doubt often but sometimes when you remove a part it is OBVIOUS that there is chemical damage and you run the risk of the dealer and/or manufacturer saying "sorry but that's not covered" and it does happen. Thank her for her time with a smile but skip the trichlor.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

J._McD

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 12:58:33 pm »
Simply ask her what that would do your pH.  Liquid chlorine is 13 on the pH scale and tri-chlor is 2.6 on the pH scale and you are trying to keep you pH in what range?  7.4 to 7.6

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 01:03:11 pm »
They sound shady. They tell you to use a product that voids the warrenty and then tell you "hey. they will never know".  If they are willing to pull a fast one on the Manufactuer, you can bet dollars to donuts that they'd do the same to you.

07 Caldera Geneva

Anoroc

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 01:03:35 pm »
Simply ask her what that would do your pH.  Liquid chlorine is 13 on the pH scale and tri-chlor is 2.6 on the pH scale and you are trying to keep you pH in what range?  7.4 to 7.6

Sorry, I know you are helping but since I am a fairly new spa owner I don't quite understand the correlation you are making with liquid chlorine and Tri-chlor.  I assume that tri-chlor will have a negative effect on my ph levels..right?

« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 01:04:23 pm by anaroc »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 01:06:24 pm »
Anoroc, do not use Trichloro in the spa.  It will void your warranty.  The young lady is misguided.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Anoroc

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 01:06:46 pm »
By the way I did say no thanks.  I just think in a smaller city like this they could be a fantastice dealer if they wanted to.  Their is no question that the business generates healthy profits.  I guess they figure the spas will sell themselves and they do not need to invest anything into it like training and salesmanship.

J._McD

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 01:27:03 pm »

Sorry, I know you are helping but since I am a fairly new spa owner I don't quite understand the correlation you are making with liquid chlorine and Tri-chlor.  I assume that tri-chlor will have a negative effect on my ph levels..right?

Chlorine comes in different forms and only ONE form is suitable for the Hot Tub environment, that would be DI-CHLOR which has a neutral pH.  Pool chemicals are not Hot Tub chemicals and Tri-Chlor and Liquid Chlorine are POOL chemicals and an absolute NO NO in a Hot Tub.  As others have indicated, Tri-Chlor is not in your best interest.

And they sell HS, shame on them.  Read your warranty and question in your mind, why would they make this stipulation in writing in the warranty? ???

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 01:31:09 am »
Is she a HS dealer or a pool dealer?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Anoroc

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 12:07:19 pm »
she is the most senior rep and she is on the residential team that sells spas.  She may sell  pools too but I am not sure about that.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 12:07:19 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42