What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What color/brand is your filter cleaner?  (Read 3753 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
What color/brand is your filter cleaner?
« on: December 24, 2005, 03:49:36 pm »
So far I've tried several brands of filter cleaner. The brand my dealer had when we first bought the tub seemed to work the best. Unfortunately they use to switch brands a lot in order to find greater profit margins.

Of all the brands I've tried most seem to fall into two categories.  One is a yellowish colored fluid, and the other a purple fluid.  Both brands say you can pour into water and soak  your filter or attach a spray bottle and soak your filter before rinsing.   The purple stuff seems thicker and hard to spray.  The yellow stuff seems to spray on easier and rinse off easier, and in general I thought it did a better job.  I'm trying to find a brand of the yellow stuff.  Any ideas?

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

What color/brand is your filter cleaner?
« on: December 24, 2005, 03:49:36 pm »

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
Re: What color/brand is your filter cleaner?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 06:13:22 pm »
I buy the purple stuff at Lowes and it's about 6 bucks.  I'm not sure if it's the same you are mentioning, but I like it a lot.  I don't soak the filter in it, but spray it on and let it sit a while, then put it in the dishwasher, rotating the filter after one cycle and running it on another cycle on the other side.  This works great for me.

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 07:53:40 pm »
I use te purple stuff from SpaGuard.  Whether I spray it on or soak, I find it impossible to rinse it all off.  Causes foaming the first few times.

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 09:36:05 pm »
I use the purple stuff. I soak them with it then send them with my son down to the car wash and have him (carefully) blast them clean. Never had any soap residue issues with them.

lawdawgva

• 06 Hot Springs Jetsetter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 11:21:11 pm »
The last product I had was clear yellow and called Filter Cleaner Plus by AquaChem.  I bought it at Wal Mart and it was an acid based detergent.  It seemed to do a good job and I also used it to clean the spa shell at fill time and it got the black streaks off of my patio furniture too.  For no particular reason, this last time, I purchased a milky white product from Lowe's called AquaEZ.  It has a citrusy scent and I believe it is acid based also.  I have not used it yet though so I will have to report back as to how well it works.  Both of these products were in a 32 oz. bottle and ran anywhere from 6 to 9 bucks.  Both said you could spray and rinse or dilute in water and soak.  I can't say that I ever noticed a foam problem with the clear yellow cleaner.

-Sarge
They're not doughnuts, they're glazed bagels.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 01:23:19 pm »
I finally found something similar to what I first tried and liked.  I bought a product called Spray & Rinse from Robarb's Spa Specialties line.

I had been using the purple stuff from Leisure time. Both seem effective, but this stuff is easier to spray on as the leisure time doesn't spray evenly.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

upinya

• Full Hard Bites
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 04:41:48 pm »
 I use bleach to soak my filters. Its cheap no foam and works great.

Kelly

• Hot Springs Accolade!
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 05:37:54 pm »
Mine's white and bears a striking resemblance to a dishwasher. ::)

Run all three Tri-X filters through once w/ cascade, then again w/ no detergent. Works great!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 03:48:34 pm »
I finally found something similar to what I first tried and liked.  I bought a product called Spray & Rinse from Robarb's Spa Specialties line.

I had been using the purple stuff from Leisure time. Both seem effective, but this stuff is easier to spray on as the leisure time doesn't spray evenly.

This stuff really seems to work well. However, in smelling it, I can't help but to wonder if it nothing more than Windex.  While as a spa cleaner it might be worth $5 to $6 for a spray bottle I can't help but feel cheated if it is just repackaged Windex.  Maybe I should try Windex on one of my old filters.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 03:49:37 pm »
I use bleach to soak my filters. Its cheap no foam and works great.

What mixture. I've used about 1/4" in a 5 gallon bucket that contained one filter and water.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 05:00:50 pm »
I did my filters in the purple stuff and rinsed many times with hot water. I put them near my woodstove to dry but I can detect a musty smell. Should I rinse them in bleach? We usually use a 10% solution to disinfect things. Will it hurt after the purple stuff? they must really be hard to dry out, I have had a fire burning non-stop in the stove???
Support your dealer so they can support you!

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 05:20:57 pm »
I always have trouble rinsing the purple stuff out.

Why dry them, they'll only get wet again after you install them!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 05:37:23 pm »
Sorry, guess that didn't make sense...My dealer gave me a spare set to switch out so I installed them as the took the dirty ones out. I won't use these again for another month. They smell like a damp towel.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

lawdawgva

• 06 Hot Springs Jetsetter
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 05:47:31 pm »
How often does everyone clean their filters? By clean, I mean either spraying or soaking in solution and rinsing.  I"ve seen recommendations all over the scale.  Just wondering how often folks on the board cleaned theirs.

-Sarge
They're not doughnuts, they're glazed bagels.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 05:58:53 pm »
I rinse them at least once a month, use cleaner on them every two months.

Check your private messages Sarge! :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 05:58:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42