What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Home Depot  (Read 6529 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Home Depot
« on: December 30, 2005, 04:24:15 pm »
My Home Depot stopped carrying spas a year ago. Looks like they have a new line, but they aren't even having demos in the store.

http://www.800980spas.com/
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

Home Depot
« on: December 30, 2005, 04:24:15 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Home Depot
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 05:04:56 pm »
it tends to vary from store to store. spas take up a lot of space so if they aren't moving a lot of them the space is better used for something else. my local home depot only carries them seasonally, and even then, mostly only over labor day weekend when they have a "sale".

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 07:08:11 pm »
The HD in Vero Beach had several on site - mostly outside standing on end.  A little tough to wet test that way.

Find a couple good dealers 1st then choose a hot tub.
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 10:11:47 pm »
The HD near me in Tucson had about 10 on their side in front of the store right before Christmas.  They included a cover and were priced around $3,500.  No help no other info.  What was interesting is that you could see underneath.  Not what you call fully foamed.  

MarKee

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 10:14:21 pm »
Have fun with the 1 year warranty and getting it from your curb to your back yard!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 11:03:01 pm »
I checked these tubs out when I first started looking.
I actually talked to the manufacturer because they also make the tubs that WalMart sells. The representative told me to check them out at the Depot  and see if I could at least sit in one dry because once they deliver, if you aren't happy, you pay to ship it back. She also said that they will drop it at your driveway and you are responsible to make sure, on the spot, that there are no problems related to shipping. I am so glad now that I found this forum and didn't go with one of these tubs but I have a neighbor who has a Lowe's version and has had NO problems in 6 years! A sales person at Home Depot told me that they went to this brand because they have a network of repair people to service the tubs.  ?????
Support your dealer so they can support you!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 09:47:46 am »
I'd like to hear from somone who actually has one of these. :)

07 Caldera Geneva

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 10:24:16 am »
Over on Doc's site, I believe the poster called tanbaby has one. I may be wrong, but I think it was one of the kind Jacuzzi used to make for the big boxes. Anyhow, she seems quite happy with hers, that is if I have my info correct.

I'd like to hear from somone who actually has one of these. :)

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 02:36:14 pm »
I always thought that Tanbaby owned a Jacuzzi spa in the vintage of the pre Sundance style with the high flow pumps, etc.  Now my info could also be wrong.

dalop

• If its not the Boat Its the Tub!
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 03:15:30 pm »
I have an Image Icon that was from a big box store. I have had it for a year and 1/2 now and it is still going strong. Never had any problems with it so far and I hope I don't jenkx myself by saying that.  It has 2 pumps and 36 jets with a lounge seat.
 It has full foam and costs about $20.00 extra a month on my electric bill a little less in the summer. It also came with the cover and locks for the cover, differant colored LED Lighting, 3 neck cushins, stairs and a chemical starter kit. All for under $3,600. It was a gift form my sons on fathers day.
 Then I found this form and learned alot about Hot Tubs and Spas. If something went wrong I know I could fix it with a little help from people here once I get the replacment parts.
 There may come a time when I may want to get another Spa But I would have to say this was a good start for me and the price was right. The good part is that I own it not the bank.  
 Its all in what you can afford and know your limits. ;)

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 10:05:36 pm »
Nice to hear your happy with your hot tub, dalop. Happy Tubing!

Mr. Bubbles
It's all about da bubbles!

hotubinn

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 12:42:48 am »
Have fun with the 1 year warranty and getting it from your curb to your back yard!

Love the one year warranty!  Hey, my kids need to eat too!!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 07:31:23 am »
I have to agree with dalop, his tub is paid for, he likes it, he can probably be resourceful and do repairs himself.
It is what you are happy with. I think it is sooo cool that his sons gave him the tub as a gift. Like I said, my friend has had his Lowes tub for 6 years, he races motorcycles and has a landscaping business so he got his for therapy. He uses it EVERY morning and EVERY night. He never misses because he says it is what keeps his body going. In any case, he has had great luck and thinks I am nuts to have spent the money that I did for my tub.
I knew if I had to get that tub up my hill and into my back yard, they would be burrying me in it!  I just couldn't deal with that hassel and since my husband isn't familiar with electronics, plumbing or things like that, I would be the repair guy..all and all a name tub with dealer support was the only way for me. ;D
I bet that tub feels great after a day of bumping around on the high seas, dalop!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 08:57:09 am »
My father in law bought a Home Depot tub a few years ago for his girlfriend.  The tub had some cosmetic damage and he claims to have gotten a very good deal on it.  I've never seen the tub, (It's out of state) and he  isn't one to talk to much about  hot tubs).  "Hey, it's hot, the water swirls around. I like it".  is about it.  ;)

He has told me that it costs about $50 mo to run in the winter months and hasn't had any problems with the tub.

However, he seems to think my Caspain is a bit better quality than his Image tub,  and admitally about $3K more in price than what he paid for his damaged Home depot tub.

His criteria for a tub and satisfaction is a bit different, as one time in my tub, I mentioned I wasn't happy that we had some foam.  He looked at me and and thought I was nuts about the one spot of foam in the corner "That's nothing....every tub has foam. You should see mine!".  (hey all tubs can be a foam machine, I mention it only as an example that I don't think he is too particulair when it come to the tub. )

I don't belive he did any comparative shopping or wet testing. He bought soley on price and nozzle count).

So, I guess it's all relative.  

I had considered a Home Depot tub when looking (hey great features, seemingly low cost).  And If I had gotten a deal like he had (he claims he saved $2K because a side panel was damaged -  I find this hard to believe)  I would have taken the deal. But at full price of about $5.5K vs the 7K for the Caspian, I prefered to go with a tub with a better track record and known quality.

just my $.02

;) 8)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 09:21:45 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 12:56:13 pm »
There is a common held belief that the big chain retailers offer "better" deals on all of their products because of their buying power.  However, their costs with advertising, etc. are astronomical.  If any small box retailer offered the Icon spas, they would probably sell them for the same price.  I'll give you an example in another industry.  I went to investigate the LCD HDTV's in town the other day and discovered that while Best Buy and Circuit City offer a much broader selection of manufacturers and models, that the local mom/pop stores actually sold the same television for much less.  A Sony 26" LCD HDTV was $1,999 at Best Buy and only $1,799 at two small retailers in town.  I'll bet that 80% of the population goes between Circuit City and Best B uy since they have no competing models and make their decision.  These mass chains are still beholden to their shareholders who demand numbers.  But you get less backend service as well.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 12:56:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42