What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: That Dreaded 4 Letter F word (FOAM)  (Read 3440 times)

Neohcouple

That Dreaded 4 Letter F word (FOAM)
« on: January 03, 2006, 09:23:10 pm »
Hi All:

Just curious to know what my options are dealing with foam.   I really don't want to do a complete drain & refill in the cold winters months here in Ohio.  And I know that the De-Foamer is just a band aid fix.

Any other ideas????

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

That Dreaded 4 Letter F word (FOAM)
« on: January 03, 2006, 09:23:10 pm »

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
Re: That Dreaded 4 Letter F word (FOAM)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 09:37:52 pm »
Is the foam already an issue, or is it that you are worried about it?  If it hasn't become a problem yet, it can be avoided by using well rinsed swimsuits or no swimsuit at all 8).  I ask my guests to rinse their suits at home, or I'll do it for them at my home.  This seems to really help avoid the problem.  When I've had problems I have tried scooping out the surface foam as I read somewhere here, and it seems to help a bit.

Steve

Neohcouple

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 09:46:51 pm »
It is currently an issue as I had a few friends over who were wearing suits (my wife & I prefer au natural so foam is not usually a problem for us).  Needless to say, this is my first battle with foam....

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 09:58:48 pm »
Welcome to my world of FOAM!!

As long as it's not naturally occurring foam from the water (older water has smaller bubbles), it comes from bathing suits and body oils, gels and makeup ...

I am on my 4th water change do to it. I'm in the process of getting some defoamer from Doc so hopefully it'll be my last for that reason (I doubt it though).

Doc sells some Sea Klear defoamer that's supposed to break down the gunk, I purchased that and I'll see.

What can you do - buy some enzymes (not Spa Perfect) put a double dose into the tub and let the enzymes eat the detergents and oils. Get all the jets on with air and scoop out the foam, this is time consuming but once the froth is out of the tub, the gunk is too.

If you used clarififier it may have caused the foam.

Ultimately, if none of the above works, live with the water until an above freezing day then change the water.

Good Luck - I feel your pain!! - LOL

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 07:35:11 am »
Sounds like you and your wife have the right idea and you are on the right track with others that wear suits.  For now try putting some defoamer in a spray bottle and use it that way.  Now that its warmer here in Ohio think about changing the water if its too foamy.  Water is cheap and many times its easier to change the water than to hassel with chemicals etc.  If you use a small pump to help pump out the water even at cold temps its quick and pretty safe

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 08:55:56 am »
It is currently an issue as I had a few friends over who were wearing suits (my wife & I prefer au natural so foam is not usually a problem for us).  Needless to say, this is my first battle with foam....

I have the same problem. After having some guest over for New Years, the tub looked horrible and there was some foam.

I personaly am a bit hesitient to add foam and enzime products as I feel they add to the TDS and cloud up the water.  I'm in a cold climate (MA) and also need to get another 3 mo out of my water.

I have balanced the PH. AL and harndness of the water. I have added a fair amount of Bright and Clear Clarifier -  I am not exactly sure what the difference between this and a foam down product and/or one lable as enzyme are, but it seems to  clear up the mess (including the foam) without turnging the water as "dull".  It takes a few days and a few extra filter cycles but  seems to be geting better.

The day after adding clarifier, I had to wipe a scum line off around the water line,  as well as clean the filter and of course chlorinate and shock.

I think I am about 95% back to pre-party water conditions.

Is my slow and steady approach ok? Or should I be adding an enzyme?

07 Caldera Geneva

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 09:34:31 am »

We have taken to warning people ahead of time to run their suits through a cycle in the washing machine with no soap, explaining it will keep the foam down.  Its obvious when they don't.   If they say they forgot we do it for them.  

As for Ohio winters, I believe in partial water changes as helping.  I keep a 5 gallon bucket and will bail out 50 gallons and put it back in a couple of times over the winter.  My tub is within 5 feet of one of the faucets so I have an 8 foot hose that I can keep indoors for quick water additions.   I changed my water Oct 1st, and will probably not do a full change again until March.  We drove through your area Christmas day and was glad not to have any lake effect storms this year.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

J._McD

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 10:06:43 am »
Turn your pumps and air blower if you have one, make as much foam on the top as you can, take your wet vac or shop vac and put it on blower and BLOW the foam off the top of the spa.  Simple and easy.  Then after you get 90%of it blown away, use some "foam away" in a spray bottle for the finishing touches.

After this routine, be a bit more firm on what enters your water.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 11:48:20 am »
Turn your pumps and air blower if you have one, make as much foam on the top as you can, take your wet vac or shop vac and put it on blower and BLOW the foam off the top of the spa.  Simple and easy.  Then after you get 90%of it blown away, use some "foam away" in a spray bottle for the finishing touches.

After this routine, be a bit more firm on what enters your water.

This is absolutely the best way to get rid of existing foam, IMO, though I generally scoop it out with a pool net or whatever is available and I dilute the "foam away" in the spray bottle with water (though I haven't actually used foam away for years now).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 11:49:04 am by tony »

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 01:19:46 pm »
I kicked my foam problem.

I originally was religiously wiping down my tub surface with my dealer supplied surface cleaner, once a week, always getting some in the water, without rinsing...no wonder I was having foam.  ???

Now into my third month of my second water change, Not using the surface cleaner, and no foam! (If I do use it, it’s above the surface and rinsed off properly.)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 07:58:50 pm »

I have the same problem. After having some guest over for New Years, the tub looked horrible and there was some foam.

I personaly am a bit hesitient to add foam and enzime products as I feel they add to the TDS and cloud up the water.  I'm in a cold climate (MA) and also need to get another 3 mo out of my water.

I have balanced the PH. AL and harndness of the water. I have added a fair amount of Bright and Clear Clarifier -  I am not exactly sure what the difference between this and a foam down product and/or one lable as enzyme are, but it seems to  clear up the mess (including the foam) without turnging the water as "dull".  It takes a few days and a few extra filter cycles but  seems to be geting better.

The day after adding clarifier, I had to wipe a scum line off around the water line,  as well as clean the filter and of course chlorinate and shock.

I think I am about 95% back to pre-party water conditions.

Is my slow and steady approach ok? Or should I be adding an enzyme?

Enzyme products won't dull the water. From my limited experience, they help keep the water pretty clear. My experience with Spa Perfect is that it indeed works but this brand tends to foam. I originally started using it because of a ring around the tub, it disappeared within 2 days of using enzymes. I had it work on my tub after a party and it truely kept the tub clean. My problem was I should have rinsed off the filters to eliminate the gunk.

I stopped using Spa Perfect because of the foam it caused and am waiting for the Leisure Time enzyme from Doc to see how that is.

As far as de foamer, since I have no physical experience I can only go by what I've read, I'm planning on using 1 oz to 8oz of water maybe a little less defoamer in a spray bottle.

Yes, anything added to the water will add to your TDS but I think it outways the negative and maybe it'll help lengthen the life of the water.

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 09:19:22 pm »
After my New Year's eve party, I had lots of foam also. Like mentioned already, turning everything on and creating lots of foam, which I then skimmed off with my net was the start. Then, a little clarifier (not much) and letting the pump run, and then cleaning the filter also really took care of most of it. I also noticed that I had to raise my TA. I don't know if going slightly high helped with the foaming or not.

Long and short - I didn't use a defoamer, just a net and a little clarifier.

I've noticed that I had to shock the water three times to get my levels back in shape, which was more than I expected. That also is helping the foame, which makes me realize it's not entirely soap based.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 09:19:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42