What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question for Spa-Techs/People in the know....  (Read 2736 times)

autoplay

Question for Spa-Techs/People in the know....
« on: January 03, 2006, 07:39:56 pm »
The wife and I are in the process of having our pool resurfaced,and pool deck redone.

My question is this..... We have to move the hot-tub,and temporarily store it on our lanai for about 2 weeks. As I have to drain the spa,what precautions should I use?

Do I need to flush the entire system,and do I need to add an additive to the system/lines,as nothing will be circulating for 2-3 weeks?

Work will commence in about 2 weeks from now,and want to do whatever needs to be done now,as far as prepping spa.

Thx,Rich

Hot Tub Forum

Question for Spa-Techs/People in the know....
« on: January 03, 2006, 07:39:56 pm »

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
Re: Question for Spa-Techs/People in the know....
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 08:01:07 pm »
What's the temp of where you live?
If you're in a below freezing area, yes drain everything - and pull the drain plug on the pump. If you have an air compressor, you could blow out the lines - though gravity should do the job pretty well.

More cowbell.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 09:04:54 pm »
I would think that if it's not going to freeze just shock it heavily before you drain and then again after you refill. If it's going to freeze then drain it out/blow it out.

autoplay

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 06:51:43 am »
We live in Florida,so freezing isn't an issue for us.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 08:47:25 am »
Folks, he's obvious in FL, as only floridians have those fancy- smancy lanai's  ;).   The rest of us have to just do with sun rooms, screen rooms or nothing at all.

Since there is no chance of freezing, I don't belive an additive to the plumbing would be needed.  There will be some residual water left in the lines after draining, and you'd want to ensure that it's a clean as possible.   This might be the time to give your filters a nice long soak in some filter cleaning solution as well as get a coat of wax on the shell.

I would clean and shock the tub to kill and remove as much bacteria from the system before draining. Then drain it as best as possible, keep it covered.

Upon re-instaltion, I would flush it out with a swirl away or other like product when it is back in it's permanant place.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 09:07:07 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

lawdawgva

• 06 Hot Springs Jetsetter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 09:44:27 am »
I thought only the Golden Girls had a lanai ???

But I don't remember them having a hot tub.

Thats probably a good thing, I dont think I'd want to see any of the golden girls in a hot tub.  There's a pic o the day for Term to come up with! :o

-Sarge
They're not doughnuts, they're glazed bagels.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 11:49:12 am »
I would do a heavy dose of chlorine before and a decent dose after refill and you should be fine. I would pull the filters and get them dry to prevent mold though.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 11:49:12 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42