What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Is water safe to drain by lake?  (Read 5314 times)

jdheffer

Is water safe to drain by lake?
« on: December 30, 2005, 04:12:35 pm »
This might be a stupid question.  I'm curious how safe it is for me to drain my tub in my backyard.  I live on a lake and my backyard is a sand beach.  The 450 gallons from my tub will no doubt make it's way through the sand and enter the lake.  I didn't know if the bromine and other chemicals from the tub will affect the fish in the lake.  Our lake isn't very big, only 85 acres.  I know that 450 gallons isn't a lot of water, but I know how lawn chemicals negatively affect the lake and was just curious about the hot tub water.

There are plenty of hot tubs on our lake, so I'm sure everyone is doing it.  I just didn't know how bad it might be for the lake.  

No, I am not an environmentalist or tree hugger, just curious.........thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Is water safe to drain by lake?
« on: December 30, 2005, 04:12:35 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Is water safe to drain by lake?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 04:26:13 pm »
I would think it would be safer than lawn chemicals.  I dump mine into my lawn, but I wait till my chlorine level is down to zero.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

salesdvl

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 04:50:01 pm »
I always told customers not to put any chlorine in the water after Wed night and drain it on Sat and they would be OK
Measure once, cut twice.

salesdvl

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 04:51:33 pm »
... and remember, we dont laugh at any question ( no matter how dumb ).....  until after you log off.   ;D    ;)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 04:52:07 pm by salesdvl »
Measure once, cut twice.

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 06:14:52 pm »
Around here in SE Va., if one lives next to any water that is part of the Chesapeake Bay, and they want to do any building on their property, they have to jump through all sorts of loops. Contribute to the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, buy "oyster beds", and beg in front of a self-appointment board in order to get permission.

Luckily, I live on Lake Smith, so I don't have to go through any of that hassle. Hell, all the street runoff, fertilizer, trash, etc. dumps into my lake.

Funny thing is, we use Lake Smith as the municipal drinking water supply, not the bay!(salt/brackish water) ???

The water you dump into your lake is probably healthier than what is already there.

jdheffer

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 05:15:43 pm »
Thanks for the advice!

I think I will take my bromine cartridge out a few days prior to dumping.

Have a safe and happy new years everyone!!

chaunceyboyblu

• im daddy
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 07:59:53 pm »
you could pump it into your toilet if you are on city, prob not ok if you have septic.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 11:54:44 am »
you could pump it into your toilet if you are on city, prob not ok if you have septic.

Do not do this if you have a septic tank.  The last thing a septic tank needs is 450 gallons of water flushing through it.

Watch "Meet the Parents" if you need to find out what happens when water floods out a septic tank.

/course you could always try to blame it on your cat "Mr Jingles" :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 02:49:32 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 11:54:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42