What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 1 speed vs 2 speed  (Read 2641 times)

splendid1319

• gotta love the tub!!
1 speed vs 2 speed
« on: January 02, 2006, 09:50:14 pm »
I have to replace my pump in my Cal Spa hot tub.  :( It looks as though it is a pretty easy repair, with the power off of course.  But I was wondering...how can I tell if my original pump is a 1 speed or 2 speed.  When troubleshooting... Jets, blower and light worked fine just the pump that moves the water past the heater is bad.  Any ideas???  I suppose I could remove it and check it that way.
                              Thanks for the help  

Hot Tub Forum

1 speed vs 2 speed
« on: January 02, 2006, 09:50:14 pm »

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
Re: 1 speed vs 2 speed
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 10:08:22 pm »
If it only ran at one speed, it's a one speed.
It it ran at two speeds, it's a two speed.

Seriously, also look on the pump label at the  RPM rating - if there's only one number 3450, it's a one speed. If there are two numbers - like 3450/1750 then it's a two speed.
A two speed pump also has 4 wires: red, black, white, and green.  Red is usually low speed, and black is high speed.  The white wire is common and the green is ground.

If you don't have the red wire, it's a one speed.

Best thing to do is replace the pump with the same as the current pump. Don't go with larger HP either. Your pipes will be unhappy.

J._McD

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 10:13:06 pm »
The label on the motor should give you the specifics.  Votlage, Amp draw should have 2 numbers one for lo sped and one for hi speed.  There should also be a wiring diagram showing 2, 3 or 4 wires indicating which wires supply what, hi, low, neutral, ground.

I am puzzled why you can not tell if it is one or two speed pump.  Do you have a circulation pump?  Are yu getting rotation, hum, noise of any kind?

splendid1319

• gotta love the tub!!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 10:30:46 pm »
Thanks for the help...I think I do have a circulation pump.  Originally the power was tripped.  When troubleshooting I disconnected everything from the power pack and plugged each thing in one at a time. The water circulated and the blower worked but when plugging in the pump the safety switch wouldn't even allow me to reset the circuit breaker. By process of elimination the pump was shorting out.  We got the tub with the house we purchased so we don't know too much about them but I have learned a lot in the past 1 1/2 years maintaining it.   Prior to the motor going out there was quite a rattle coming from it...I guess it was a matter of time.  
I guess I will be removing it to check the specs.  
Thank you

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 10:30:46 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42