What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: what's your vacuum of choice?  (Read 12995 times)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: what's your vacuum of choice?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2005, 11:05:24 am »
 This has come up several times on the board here and basiclally there are 2 types. A grit getter  and a wand.  People have reported good results with both styles, and it comes down to personal preferece.

A wand style vac is good if you prefer to stand outside the tub, and the grit getter style is for use while sitting in the tub.

Your choice. Both work well.
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2005, 11:05:24 am »

grahamtasia

• Life is not short!
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2005, 11:18:08 am »
Another thing is, time and time again, I have people come in that had bought one off the internet and it ended up being a NIGHTMARE! Sure, it seems like a good idea because its cheaper, however, if the vac doesn't feel right for you, you just wasted your time and money. Not to mention if you need parts or service, you will be stuck. It is always good too try one out first. I cannot stress that enough!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2005, 11:22:07 am »
Another thing is, time and time again, I have people come in that had bought one off the internet and it ended up being a NIGHTMARE! Sure, it seems like a good idea because its cheaper, however, if the vac doesn't feel right for you, you just wasted your time and money. Not to mention if you need parts or service, you will be stuck. It is always good too try one out first. I cannot stress that enough!

Vac Test!  Vac Test!  Vac Test!

Make sure you bring everyone who might use the vac in for the test. If a dealer  doens't allow for a vac test. walk out and don't look back.  Don't agree either to the "sticker price" of the vac.  Negotate.  I insisted my dealer throw in 2 ducks and a years worth of chems, and an insualted cover for my vac.  
07 Caldera Geneva

grahamtasia

• Life is not short!
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2005, 12:11:20 pm »
If the spa vac is made by a reputable company(ISO 9001) and is the one that fits your needs and the price is under $100, you have got a great deal!  How do you put a price on something that will make your life easier, more sanitary, give you peace of mind and add overall enjoyment to your spa experience!

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2005, 07:42:28 pm »

ONLY buy a full foamed vac. A full foam vac is much better than a TP vac. A full foam vac will require less energy to operate and will be less prone to leaks.

You may also want a vac that produces a nice waterfall. I'd stay away from vacs with lounges in them for obvious reasons.

Doc,

Would you please explain what you are talking about to this rookie?  ???
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Soakin

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2005, 09:26:54 pm »
Would you please explain what you are talking about to this rookie?  ???
The last few posts were a jab at the standard lines always recommended on this forum.  Just substitue "spa" for "vac" and you'll recognize them.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2005, 11:19:40 am »
The Spa Wand by Poraris looks pretty good.  Anybody have one of these?  I hope it won't void my warrantee.

http://www.cheappoolproducts.com/Spa~Maintence_77~supplies.html
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Anoroc

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2005, 11:25:50 am »
Soakin, I am still a newbie and obviously a bit slower than most folks.  I thought everyone was plum crazy talking about vacs like it was a spa.  

Thanks for clearing this up so that I know I am not crazy.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2005, 11:30:45 am »
The Spa Wand by Poraris looks pretty good.  Anybody have one of these?  I hope it won't void my warrantee.

http://www.cheappoolproducts.com/Spa~Maintence_77~supplies.html

Yes, I have the spa wand and it works well. You draw the handle out to create suction.   The wand has a screen trap in them so that the sand and dirt doesn't flow backinto the spa.

You can find them on E-bay cheaper than the Spa shops.   Just make sure they shipping charges don't eat up any savings.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 11:32:39 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2005, 01:37:26 pm »
Soakin, I am still a newbie and obviously a bit slower than most folks.  I thought everyone was plum crazy talking about vacs like it was a spa.  

Thanks for clearing this up so that I know I am not crazy.

You may not be crazy now but hang around this forum long enough and ... ;D ;D

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2005, 03:36:59 pm »
Another thing is, time and time again, I have people come in that had bought one off the internet and it ended up being a NIGHTMARE!

Sorry, but I just can't resist  ;D

Almost daily we have customers thanking us for being here for them. Unlike their local dealers that they say seem like they don't want to be bothered by them, or don't have a clue what they're talking about, or just simply wont take care of them after the sale.

Almost daily I talk to someone to give them advise/support/instructions about a product they didn't purchase from us, but from their local dealer.

Since this happens "time and time again", can/should I lump all dealers into this same catagory?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Soakin

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2005, 03:49:12 pm »
can/should I lump all dealers into this same catagory?
That may be true of the vacs sold in Big Box stores, but most of the vacuum dealers I have met on this site are honorable businesspeople who are just trying to help.  It would be unfair to lump them in with the oddball trying to sell a vac that is not ETL listed, or the one's spouting their own "independent" energy use study as proof that their vac is more efficient than others with less substantial standard hoses. ;)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 03:56:05 pm by Soakin »

Brookenstein

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2005, 03:51:14 pm »
You guys crack me up.   ;D

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2005, 06:03:16 pm »
By this time next year we should be releasing a new, completely redesigned vac. If there's a power outage, even if the temps are below zero, this vac will be guaranteed to not freeze up for at least 30 days.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2005, 06:41:19 pm »
well, being a DIY kinda guy, I built my own vac, out of a slurpee big gulp straw, some cotton and a bicycle pump.

What's really cool is that it converts into a low cost air blower, though someone has to always stay outside the tub.
I didn't need to spend 29 bucks, did it for  69 cents.

;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2005, 06:41:19 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42