What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Buying a new tub  (Read 5012 times)

markm

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Buying a new tub
« on: December 24, 2005, 04:06:58 pm »
Hi Everyone

I have owned a Coleman tub for about 7 years.  The dealer I dealt with convinced me to use a salt solution to eliminate the need to put chemicals in the water.  It is my belief that this salt solution led to the breakdown of the air vent seals and heaters of my tub.

Until this last year, repair men have been efficient and knowledgeable, and Coleman had honored its warranty and replaced parts and provided service.

Last year, the tub started leaking and I could not get a repair man out. So, I looked in the phone book and called several dealers to find a repair man.  Eventually, I found a man to come out and fix the leak, only to find two weeks later that it started leaking again.  The problem, as it turned out, was that the leak was from underneath the tub, and the costs to repair it would be high.  So, after talking with the dealer, I decided to trade in my current tub for a new tub instead of hassling with repairs.

After visiting the store, I bought a Catalina and was told it would take 3 to 5 weeks to get delivered.  After 9 weeks I canceld the tub, and after 10 weeks it still hadn't arrived. So, after reading the forum board, I truly believe that before considering brands, jets, or accessories, you first and foremost need to go through an honest dealer.

I like the fact that the Catalina is deeper, and it is interesting to read all the info on T Spas.  I have also looked at LA Spas, and I like the capitan chairs.  Has anybody had positive experiences with a reputable dealer in the Chicagoland area?

Thanks for listening,
Mark

Hot Tub Forum

Buying a new tub
« on: December 24, 2005, 04:06:58 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Buying a new tub
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 04:23:56 pm »
Welcome to the board!

The best advice I can give you is to visit as many dealers you can! You'll be surprised how you can click with one dealer and not another.

There's a lot of good spas out there - I can't speak of why the Catalina took so long or why (other than you canceling due to the time factor) you canceled but there are people with them that love them.

LA spas along with others have "captain's seats" look at Artesian, Coleman (even though you had your experience with them), and I think Master spas. As far as deep, my tub has a couple of deep seats

One word of advice is to really try the captains seat. My tub has a neck collar seat (captains seat ?) and it can be restrictive.

I'm sure others will chime in!

Good Luck!

markm

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 04:37:15 pm »
My apologies for being vague.  The reason I canceled the Catalina was the fact that it took so long and I worried that if the dealer could not stand behind their time estimates, or even acknowledge that there was a problem in delivering the tub, that they would not stand behind other claims they made to me and would not be prompt with service.

I feel I would have been very happy with the tub itself.

Mark

NJDave

• It's just more fun to be in hot water!
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 04:55:26 pm »
markm,
Nine weeks, was certainly a long time and you probably showed more patience than most. If the dealer kept you updated weekly with delay problems or offered you an alternative like a discount or a floor model, some kind of feeling that he was concerned and trying to help, then you many have stuck with him. Catalina does make a nice tub and I'm sure you would have been happy with it. As Vinny stated, this a great place to start, offering a wealth of information from consumers, techs, dealers and reps. Check out the local dealers and go for test drives. Enjoy the Hot Water. Dave.

MarKee

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 04:59:10 pm »
Check out the Marquis Epic, you'll fall in love.

greenhut

• 2005 Caldera Geneva
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 05:56:28 pm »
My suggestions to consider:

Marquis Epic
Hot Spring Envoy
D1 Chairman II
Caldera Geneva (my tub)
Jacuzzi

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2005, 06:13:44 pm »
My suggestions to consider:

Marquis Epic
Hot Spring Envoy
D1 Chairman II
Caldera Geneva (my tub)
Jacuzzi

Good recommendations IMO and far better than simply saying they should buy one spa in particular (there is no single spa model out there that stands above all others).  Visit all the reputable spa dealers in your area, listen to what they have to say and wet test your favorites.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

cappykat

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 05:09:05 pm »
Ditto on the Marquis Epic.  It has 2 deep seats.  We have one and LOVE IT!

There are a lot of quality hot tubs out there so look at as many as you can and wet test, wet test, wet test.
2005 Marquis Epic

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 12:47:24 am »
If you like Captains chairs and defined seating, Arctic's Tundra gives you four corner Captains seats of varying depth.  Personally, I don't use the shallowest seat, but the wife does.  You get cool down seats on three sides.  It seats 7 easily and 8 in an pinch with a seat for each person even at 8 people.  With 4 people, it's very comfortable and depending on how far out people stretch, you might not even touch feet.  If you're looking for depth first, I found D1 to subjectively be the deepest overall

markm

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 11:23:12 pm »
I also would like to thank everyone for the all the information that I am getting. I have been to see the caldera, LA spas, coleman, artesian, and hydropool dealers.  At the present time I am very much considering the hydropool. I will keep updating as time goes on.
Thanks Again for all the input.
MarkM

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 10:17:25 am »
I went to 2 Hydropool dealers and I liked the concept of the tubs but the dealers were duds IMO, couldn't get any info from them.

The other thing, at least in NJ, the dealers didn't service their own tubs they used a repair service (the same one). Not a problem unless you don't like the service they provide, then you're stuck.

There are a few people here that have Hyropool and are happy with them.

salesdvl

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 01:34:41 pm »
I'm curious, why did Hydropool stand out over LA & Artesian?
Measure once, cut twice.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 01:47:02 pm »
I'm curious, why did Hydropool stand out over LA & Artesian?

While you're at it, why did Hydropool stand out over Coleman and Caldera also. Of those mentioned, Hydropool is probably the one I'm least knowledgeable of.

salesdvl

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 02:35:56 pm »
Isnt "knowledgeable" one of those words that ya have to say it as you are typing it cuz it doesnt 'flow'?  I have to do the same thing with 'manufacturer' or sometimes I end up with too many "er"s at the end.   manufacturerer....or is someone that works for a manufacturer called a manufacturerer?  hmmmm   :)
Measure once, cut twice.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 05:24:12 pm »
Isnt "knowledgeable" one of those words that ya have to say it as you are typing it cuz it doesnt 'flow'?  I have to do the same thing with 'manufacturer' or sometimes I end up with too many "er"s at the end.   manufacturerer....or is someone that works for a manufacturer called a manufacturerer?  hmmmm   :)

Not with Knowledgeable but I do that ALL the time with manufactururer.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 05:24:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42