What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: High Blood Pressure & Hot Tubs  (Read 14855 times)

brewski

• When in doubt bathe naked!!!
High Blood Pressure & Hot Tubs
« on: December 20, 2005, 12:18:23 pm »
After owning our hot tub for just over a year now (and lovin' it) my family physician has told me that I need to start taking medication for stage 1 hypertension. Darling wife says I also need to cut back my use of the hot tub as she thinks it is bad for my BP. I use the tub about 5 nights per week for maybe 20-30 minutes per soak, is that really too much usage or is the wife being too cautious?

Hot Tub Forum

High Blood Pressure & Hot Tubs
« on: December 20, 2005, 12:18:23 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: High Blood Pressure & Hot Tubs
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 12:28:32 pm »
I have high blood pressure. I am on medicatication for it,  and asked my doctor about it, and was told not to worry too much about it, as my BP isn't that high, and I was only soaking for 1/2 hr about 3 times a week.
(101 F).

So, you can enjoy a hot tub if you have high BP, but talk to you Doc about it,  as only your doctor knows your spefific conditions and risks.  I was warned to be a bit more cautious about getting out of the tub, as the heat can have a greater effect on someone with HBP.
07 Caldera Geneva

blizzard

• Always gettin in to HOT water
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 12:37:29 pm »
Definitely would talk to the Doc. Of course some of the advertising on hot tubs I have seen claim to help HBP and other things, but then again it's hard to believe everything (anything) you here from someone that is trying to sell you something.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 12:43:48 pm »
From the American Heart Association Web site:

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4653

High Blood Pressure and Hot Tubs (Saunas)
AHA Recommendation

Hot tubs and saunas — if not misused — pose no risk to healthy people. People with high blood pressure who have no symptoms should tolerate saunas well. The relaxing of the blood vessels associated with the heat is about the same as from a brisk walk. Any active symptoms such as chest pain or shortness of breath that would cause a person to avoid moderate exercise would also be a reason to avoid a hot tub or sauna.

Alcohol and saunas aren't a good combination. Don't drink while in a sauna. Also, moving back and forth between cold water baths and saunas or hot tubs can raise blood pressure. If you have high blood pressure, don't do this.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 12:44:10 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

blizzard

• Always gettin in to HOT water
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 12:54:30 pm »
I wonder what they mean by misuse ??? ???

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 01:08:08 pm »
I wonder what they mean by misuse ??? ???

Using the hot tub the way Term does.

The man is an animal.

;D

Serioulsy though, I took it too mean soaking too long or at a very high temp, consuming mass quanities of alcohol.  
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 01:08:56 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

brewski

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 02:34:56 pm »
Usually if I drink anything while soaking it is water. Maybe a beer once in awhile.

Using the hot tub the way Term does.

The man is an animal.

;D

Serioulsy though, I took it too mean soaking too long or at a very high temp, consuming mass quanities of alcohol.  

::) ::)

fatman

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 03:46:18 pm »
After owning our hot tub for just over a year now (and lovin' it) my family physician has told me that I need to start taking medication for stage 1 hypertension. Darling wife says I also need to cut back my use of the hot tub as she thinks it is bad for my BP. I use the tub about 5 nights per week for maybe 20-30 minutes per soak, is that really too much usage or is the wife being too cautious?

All depends on what type of medication your doc is prescribing for you. If doc is giving you a beta blocker(slows the heart down a bit) then you probably wouldn't have any problem with the vasodilation that occurs with a dip in the hot tub. On the other hand, if doc is prescribing a drug that vasodilates then that would not be good for hot tubbing. Ask doc to describe for you how the drug works on the body. Other factors to consider would be if you are a diabetic, obese and how hot you keep your tub. The warmer the water, the more you will vasodilate.   Alcohol and hot tubbing don't mix well either. When you first ingest a beer it will vasodilate your veins/arteries. As the alcohol goes through your digestive system you will vasoconstrict and your heart rate(pulse) will increase. Your body will be in a tug-of-war with the vasodilation from the heat and constriction caused by the alcohol. It's much better to drink water or a Gatorade while you are tubbing.  Talk to your doc.

Haynes

• 2005 Down East Cape Cod/ Monongahela, PA
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 06:55:59 pm »
Precautions should be taken to avoid orthostatic b/p  (low blood pressure ) ie: take your time changing positions, rise slowly from the hot tub and let your body adjust to  standing for 30-60 seconds before walking ect to prevent sudden drop of b/p. I am on antihypertensive meds without any ill effect.  If you are on meds and your doctor is maintaining your systolic b/p 90-100, you would be more prone to the orthostatic hypotension so be careful .  

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 07:02:21 pm »
And after all of that information you received above, go talk to your doctor as he knows you and your BP better than anyone here. It's not something to take lightly.

Steve

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 07:24:28 pm »
Lots of wise advise so far. I also have/had Stage 1 hypertension, and a soak in a hot tub can raise it slightly while in many people find their BP lower soon after the soak. Many Doctor's feel the spas are a long term benefit to people with high BP.  The best thing, as any doctor will tell you for 1st stage is excercise and diet.  And I'm sure any doctor would say as with the excerise, "within reason"
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 11:24:09 pm »
TONS of info on Google. Type in;

hot tub hypertension
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

brewski

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 11:40:31 am »
Thanks everyone for all the advice! Well I just picked up my meds at the pharmacy last night on the way home fom work, 10mg of Lisinopril, 1 pill per day. I am scheduled to meet with the doc next Tuesday to see how well the meds are working and when I do I will discuss these issues with her.

Just for clarification, I'm usually a water drinker when in the hot tub but will sometimes have ONE beer, usually after a round of golf and just wanting to relax. Water temps are normally kept at 102 and in the summer we drop it down to maybe 98-99. I am well aware of the diet and exercise necessity although I'll be the first to admit that I shudder at the thought of both. Since my first meeting with the doctor on the 9th I have made a conscious effort to improve in both aspects and my darling wife is acting as my "coach" with gentle and not so gentle reminders on a regular basis.

Thanks again all.   ::)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 12:06:25 pm »
I'd be very curious to hear what your doc says about the hot tubbin. If it's not prying, please let us know what he says.

Good luck.
Keep yourself healthy. :)
07 Caldera Geneva

fatman

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 05:50:23 pm »
Thanks everyone for all the advice! Well I just picked up my meds at the pharmacy last night on the way home fom work, 10mg of Lisinopril, 1 pill per day. I am scheduled to meet with the doc next Tuesday to see how well the meds are working and when I do I will discuss these issues with her.

Just for clarification, I'm usually a water drinker when in the hot tub but will sometimes have ONE beer, usually after a round of golf and just wanting to relax. Water temps are normally kept at 102 and in the summer we drop it down to maybe 98-99. I am well aware of the diet and exercise necessity although I'll be the first to admit that I shudder at the thought of both. Since my first meeting with the doctor on the 9th I have made a conscious effort to improve in both aspects and my darling wife is acting as my "coach" with gentle and not so gentle reminders on a regular basis.

Thanks again all.   ::)

Lisinopril is an ACE inhibitor. It will vasodilate your veins and arteries and is metabolized in your kidneys.  ACE inhibitors are very effective drugs so do be careful of the tub temp and the sudden temperature change that goes along with getting out of your tub.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 05:50:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42