What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Jacuzzi J-350 Ozonator  (Read 15254 times)

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Jacuzzi J-350 Ozonator
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2005, 03:37:27 pm »
OK... had my first chance to take the access panel off and look.  It is definately a problem with the check valve.  It was strange... I could get it the work in the WRONG direction and I soaked it in vineger and blow it some compressed air.  But it is shot !   But I could not hear a Hum from the Ozonator ( Jacuzzi Premium CD ) but It's screwed to the frame and I could not get my ear next to it.  I touched it and could not feel anything.  But the circulating pump is always running, so it may mask the sound.  I put the tube attached to the ozonator next to my nose and could not detect any of the Fresh Rainstowm smell associated with ozone though.  So I may have TWO broken items.  Is there ANY OTHER WAY to check the ozonator ?
Thanks all....   Tim
« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 11:20:08 am by pratzert »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2005, 03:37:27 pm »

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2005, 04:06:15 pm »
It gets even better !

I just re-read my manuals for the Tub and Ozonator.

The Ozoantor is supposed to run in conjunction with the circualtion pump, which means it should run most of the time, if not all the time.

BUT...  I have the Pro-Tech LCD display which is supposed to show an "Ozonator" symbol on the display whenever the ozonator is on.  I can't remember when, if ever, that I saw the little symbol.  I do know that if it ever was there, I have not seen it in a long while.

So it's possibly my CD Ozonator is/was hooked up wrong, or never worked, or has not worked in a long time.

So, I know I have to replace the check valve, so when I do that, I'll open the control panel and check to see if it's wired correctly.  Then I can determine if I need to re-wire or replace the ozonator.

Any idea how much they run ?  It's a Jacuzzi Premium CD ozonator.

Thanks,   Tim
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 04:06:58 pm by pratzert »

lawdawgva

• 06 Hot Springs Jetsetter
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2005, 11:32:25 pm »
Tim,

I can't tell you much about that particular ozonator, but I will say, if you determine that you need to replace, I would suggest looking at the Del Platinum Eclipse CD ozonator.  This is the unit I went with for my 355 ga. Sovreign.  The Platinum model produces higher levels of ozone than the regular models.  I found a spa parts dealer in NC who got my unit to me for about $150.00 and that included S&H too.  Other than calling a service man out, I can't tell you any other way to be sure your ozonator is doing what it is supposed to be and what with repair rates, this might be one of those times where it would actually be cheaper to go ahead and replace it instead of trouble shooting.  BTW- this dealer also took the time to confirm which type of plug I needed to plug the unit in to my control pak and made the change at no additional charge to me.

-Sarge
They're not doughnuts, they're glazed bagels.

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2005, 06:12:34 pm »
Sarge,

Thanks for the info...  Regards,  Tim

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2005, 07:06:29 am »
[size=16]"The Platinum model produces higher levels of ozone than the regular models."[/size]

Good Morning dawg,

I thought I read elsewhere on this forum that it is possible to have an ozonator that produces too much ozone.  This accelerates deterioration of the underside of the cover, headrests, etc and increases ozone concentration in the room (if enclosed).

Is there a requirement to match ozone production to tub size?  ???
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2005, 11:28:28 am »
Snowbird,

Now that you say that, I have read somewhere that it's possible to have TOO much ozone and it can damage the cover, head pillow etc...

Tim

lawdawgva

• 06 Hot Springs Jetsetter
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2005, 01:54:46 pm »
I have heard that, but the dealer assured me that this unit was suitable for a spa my size (350 gal.).  I have had the ozonator on for about 7 mos. now with no noticable effects on the pillows or the underside of the cover.

-Sarge
They're not doughnuts, they're glazed bagels.

J._McD

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2005, 07:22:58 pm »
[size=16]"The Platinum model produces higher levels of ozone than the regular models."[/size]
I thought I read elsewhere on this forum that it is possible to have an ozonator that produces too much ozone.  This accelerates deterioration of the underside of the cover, headrests, etc and increases ozone concentration in the room (if enclosed).
Is there a requirement to match ozone production to tub size?  ???

Snowbird, this really depends on who put the unit in, factory or dealer.  Because a higher output ozonators would cost more, I don’t think either one of them are making the mistake of “over sizing”.  I would think “under sizing would be more likely.

However, there are other reasons this will occur.  The finer the bubbles the better, this keeps the ozone in suspension longer and contacting more water surface interacting with bacteria, nutrients, minerals and viruses.  IF, the water is clean and pure, (hasn’t been used for a prolonged period of time), the ozone has nothing to take a like atom from and thus, remains to be ozone until it breaks the surface of the water and extracts an atom from the color dye in the pillows or cover.  Some spas will neutralize excessive ozone so this does not occur.
It gets even better !

I just re-read my manuals for the Tub and Ozonator.

The Ozoantor is supposed to run in conjunction with the circualtion pump, which means it should run most of the time, if not all the time.

BUT...  I have the Pro-Tech LCD display which is supposed to show an "Ozonator" symbol on the display whenever the ozonator is on.  I can't remember when, if ever, that I saw the little symbol.  I do know that if it ever was there, I have not seen it in a long while.

So it's possibly my CD Ozonator is/was hooked up wrong, or never worked, or has not worked in a long time.

So, I know I have to replace the check valve, so when I do that, I'll open the control panel and check to see if it's wired correctly.  Then I can determine if I need to re-wire or replace the ozonator.

Any idea how much they run ?  It's a Jacuzzi Premium CD ozonator.

Thanks,   Tim

Pratzert, the ozone is drawn in to the water via the circulation pump action, these are the fine bubbles you see rising from the foot well.  If the ozonators is receiving electric and producing ozone, then ozone is being drawn into the water.  If the ozonators is NOT receiving electric it is NOT producing ozone and ONLY ambient air is being drawn into the water as seen in the fine bubbles, thus the bubbles are either air or ozone.

If you have no ICON, you are not producing ozone.  If you have no air bubbles, you have no air/ozone being drawn into the water.  The check valve is a “one way street” that allow air to be drawn in, but prevent water from going back into the ozonators.  You should simply put it to your lips to blow through it one way only, that is the direction going back to the ozonators.  The direction you can blow through is the direction going into the water flow.  A compressor can blow through a check valve both ways and destroy it.

At first you had no air bubbles, this means you have a plumbing problem and the air bubbles are NOT being drawn into the water.

Secondly, you indicate, you are not getting an ICON, which means, you ozone is not drawing any amperage and is not working electrically.  It should be a blue plastic ozonators labeled “necessities” and it has a label on the back, what are the first 4 numbers?  0405……  0505…….0507……?  How old is the spa?  How old is the ozonator?

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2005, 11:19:08 am »
J. McD,

Hi !    My Jacuzzi Spa is a J-350 and is a 2003 model.

The Ozonator is a Jacuzzi brand, factory installed Model / Part #MCD-50  6472-685.   It seems to have been Mfg in Feb. 2003 becasue the "date" code is marked Feb 2003.  The Serial #0020885475.

I have confirmed I need a new check valve.

I jave also opened up the control panel and verified that the ozonator IS wired correctly, but still do not get the Ozone symbol on my LCD display.  

Is it a throw away item, or is there something I can do to open up the ozonator and fix it?

Do you have any suggestions for Jacuzzi parts?

Thank you for the help.   Tim
« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 11:21:03 am by pratzert »

J._McD

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2005, 11:54:03 am »
Tim, there have been some troubles reported in CD ozonators being produced by del for Jacuzzi/Sundance.  They would be production from the mid 2005's.  Your CD ozonator was manufactured in 2/03 and was probably installed prior to or at time of delivery.  It is warrantied for replacement for one year and does have a limited life cycle I would usually expect to be 3 to 5 years.  Take your ozonator into the dealer you bought the spa from and have him test it.

If you need to replace it, the cost you pay for the new ozone is the cost you have not paid for chemicals in that period of time.  If you choose not to replace it, you will find that your water conditions will be different and will consume more chemicals, accumulating more TDS (total dissolved solids) requiring more frequent water changes.  

In other words, it is time to buy a new ozonator.  I would recommend one supplied by the tub manufacturer, because it could become a "reason" to void your warranty, especially if you had a problem with the circuit board.  Remember, a CD ozonator is a charge and discharge operation that can reak havoc on your electronic circuit board and it does emit a magnetic energy field that needs to be properly filtered.  All ozones are NOT the same.

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2005, 12:12:42 pm »
J.McD,

Thanks for the information.  Any idea exactly "how" they test the ozonator ?

And yes,  I prefer to replace it with a Jacuzzi model.

Do you have any suggestion on a reasonable source for
Jacuzzi parts?

Thanks,  Tim

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2005, 12:58:52 pm »
NEWS FLASH>>>>

I opened up my Jacuzzi Ozonator and have found a Blown Fuse inside it.    Who knows when or why?  But maybe it happened during one of the many thuderstorms when my main breaker popped.

As best as I can read it... it looks like a 1A250V fuse about 3/4" long.   (1 amp  250 volt.)

Can anybody PLEASE help identify this fuse a little better?  Is it a Slow Blow type or an instant ?

I can pick one up probably at Radio Shack.

Thanks

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2005, 01:19:18 pm »
I doubt that it is a slow blow...these usually say "time-delay" on them somewhere.  Time delay fuses are usually seen where there is a large "inrush" current, for example during start-up of a motor.  Take the old fuse with you and find one with the same dimensions and ratings as the old, and you should be fine.

Steve

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2005, 05:13:44 pm »
I was able to replace the fuse in the Ozonator, but it blew immediately !

There must be some short in the unit somewhere.

Maybe in the power suply, or the corona unit itself.

So... unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to have to spend some bucks to replace it.  I have asked the local dealer to get a price for it.

Any else have any other sources for Jacuzzi parts at a discount ?

Thanks,  Tim

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2005, 05:13:44 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42