What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Adding chemicals  (Read 11516 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Adding chemicals
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2005, 06:07:37 pm »
The technical time to shock is when the combined chlorine (total minus free) concentration is .2 ppm.  This is tough to measure with a test kit or test strips.  With my Taylor kit, I wait until I show zero free chlorine (so no pink), then add reagent for total chlorine.  If it turns pink at all, its time to shock; if it stays clear, I can wait.

A safe method is to shock weekly.  As a minimal dichlor user, I prefer MPS to shock, though I like to raise my free chlorine level to between 3 and 5 ppm once per week.

I leave my cover off for about five minutes after adding chlorine after use, fifteen to twenty minutes after shocking, nothing after adding other chems.

I do this as well. I see how much color I get testing CC and if below 0.5 PPM I use 6 PPM chlorine to "shock", anything above this I use MPS to shock and add about 3 PPM chlorine to disinfect.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2005, 06:07:37 pm »

blizzard

• Always gettin in to HOT water
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2005, 06:20:48 pm »
What is reagent ???

« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 06:23:15 pm by blizzard »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2005, 06:25:41 pm »
There is absolutly nothing I can add that has not been said already. Good work posters.

Re-Agents are the liquids used to mearsure and test pool and spa waters, Chlorine/Bromine, PH, Total Alkalitity, Calcium Hardness, Cyanuric acid levels and other stuff. Mixed with spa water they will change the color of the water and you read the colors on the scale supplied with the kit to determine your levels.
Retired

blizzard

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2005, 06:36:28 pm »
Sorry, I know now how stupid the question was. Hey I'm aloud one per day by the way. Since I still have about a week till I get my first spa. Thanks for clearing up the simple stuff. ;D

BearBath

• Ya snooze Ya Lose
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2005, 05:56:55 am »
Leave the cover off? How come? I understand the concept that the chemicals added will cause some outgassing, but what does that do to the cover? I've been just throwing the diclor in with the filters after use and putting the lid on the filter area, then closing the lid immediately while I have it run out the "clean" cycle.

Have I caused some permanent damage?
Yeesh. this stuff is complicated.
BearBath

loneoak

• Perception is more important than reality
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2005, 06:52:06 am »
I am going to call my spa supplier today and ask about when to leave the cover off and also about shocking once a week.  I will report back.

There appears to be some differences of opinions.

Astrid.

blizzard

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2005, 09:05:52 am »
I've been just throwing the diclor in with the filters after use and putting the lid on the filter area, then closing the lid immediately while I have it run out the "clean" cycle.

BearBath

I thought that you weren't supposed to put the chemicals in the filter area. I think thats what I've read somewhere, but what do I know I don't even have a spa.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 09:06:32 am by blizzard »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2005, 09:09:22 am »
FWIW, I leave the cover on when I am doing my post soak dichlor sanitize via the "clean cycle) and based on what was dicussed in the thread a few weeks ago, I am leaving the cover open for a minimum of 1/2 hour when I shock.

07 Caldera Geneva

lawdawgva

• 06 Hot Springs Jetsetter
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2005, 02:59:21 pm »
I thought that you weren't supposed to put the chemicals in the filter area. I think thats what I've read somewhere, but what do I know I don't even have a spa.

Just about everything I've read from the chemical manufacturers states "do not add chemicals to the filter compartment.  However, on the underside of my filter compartmetn lid, HS has a sticker that says "add chemcials to filter compartment.   !?!?!?!  Confusion.  I just err'd on the side of caution and figured it would be better to disperse the chemcials on the broader surface of the water rather than concentrating them in that small filter compartment.  Who knows.

-Sarge
They're not doughnuts, they're glazed bagels.

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2005, 04:03:19 pm »
I've had my tub about 6 months and started noticing the cover's underside was fading, so I left the cover off about a half hour when I shock on Sundays.  I thought I had everything right until I read about 2 teaspoons.  I personally open the cap and fill it most of the way with mps and pour it into the middle of the tub with the jets running on the first cycle, low.  I though the cap was around 4 ozs which was right.  I am not a big measuring guy so I need reference points like this.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2005, 04:19:12 pm »
You use more MPS than dichlor, I use 1/4 cup of MPS to shock and 1 1/2 to 3 tablespoons of dichlor.

And remember that if you have ozone - it too will degrade the cover by off gassing.

The best method to put any chemical in the tub IMO is to spead it across the water's surface, you don't need a glob of any chemical on the acrylic surface possibly damaging it.

And those of you who use the "clean" cycle - check to make sure ALL the jets and pumps are getting the freshly chlorinated water - I think that the clean cycle doesn't run them all and make sure the jets are opened a little for water circulation.

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2005, 08:45:28 pm »
You use more MPS than dichlor, I use 1/4 cup of MPS to shock and 1 1/2 to 3 tablespoons of dichlor.

um, that sure is a LOT more MPS than I use to shock. I use two tablespoons for 300 gallons.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2005, 09:37:23 pm »

um, that sure is a LOT more MPS than I use to shock. I use two tablespoons for 300 gallons.

I just looked at the label of Sea Klear MPS which is pure MPS. It says to add 2 oz per 500 gallons to shock. 8 oz is a cup ; 2 oz is 1/4 cup.

I double checked myself with the Taylor book and 2 Tablespoons = 1 oz

Using according to directions on label - you would need 1.2 oz to shock for a 300 gallon tub, your using about the correct amount. I have a 400 gallon tub and I need 1.6 oz of MPS to shock and I use 2 oz.

If you using chlorine to shock for up to 0.5 PPM of combined chlorine;  using 65% chlorine, 6 PPM chlorine (10X the combined chlorine level) would be 1 tablespoon according to the Taylor book.

I guess it's about 2x the amount of MPS to chlorine depending on the combined chlorine. That is why I don't use MPS unless the combined chlorine is high > 0.5 PPM.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2005, 01:57:41 am »
Lawdawg,

Do you have your original HS manual?  If not, you can download one.  It says to put the chemical in the filter department.  It's probably a more conservative approach.

Just about everything I've read from the chemical manufacturers states "do not add chemicals to the filter compartment.  However, on the underside of my filter compartmetn lid, HS has a sticker that says "add chemcials to filter compartment.   !?!?!?!  Confusion.  I just err'd on the side of caution and figured it would be better to disperse the chemcials on the broader surface of the water rather than concentrating them in that small filter compartment.  Who knows.

-Sarge

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

blizzard

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2005, 02:05:40 am »
So what do we do? Should we follow the owners manual or a sticker under the filter cover? I wonder why the manufacturer  would tell you one thing and then another?   :-/

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2005, 02:05:40 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42