What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Adding chemicals  (Read 11515 times)

loneoak

• Perception is more important than reality
Adding chemicals
« on: December 20, 2005, 08:48:53 pm »
How important is it to leave the lid off for 20 minutes (letting the pumps run) after adding chemicals?  At -20� C, we're not too thrilled about leaving the lid off any longer than we have to.

It's bad enough the tub is used for up to an hour a day!

What we mostly add is stuff to bring the Ph down, as we have a major problem with that.

Thanks,

Astrid.

Hot Tub Forum

Adding chemicals
« on: December 20, 2005, 08:48:53 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Adding chemicals
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 09:15:35 pm »
The only time you have to worry about off gassing is when you add shock, chlorine or bromine. And that's really only when using high doses of chlorine or bromine, the lower levels say cl <3 just run all the jets for about 5 min and you should be OK.

loneoak

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 09:34:34 pm »
Thanks very much!

Astrid.

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 09:38:59 pm »
When adjusting Ph, I simply add the chemicals to my filter area with both pumps on.  Close the cover and set the clean cycle, which runs pump 1 only for 10 minutes.  Only for weekly DiChlor shocking do I leave the cover open for 20-30 minutes.

blizzard

• Always gettin in to HOT water
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 11:02:45 pm »
When leaving the cover off or open, does it have to be fully uncovered or is it ok to leave top half open?

OKC

• We love LA
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 12:59:34 am »
Good question.  I would like to know this as well.  

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 06:45:05 am »
Open all the way. The off gassing could affect the part of the cover that's closed.

loneoak

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 07:16:36 am »
When adjusting Ph, I simply add the chemicals to my filter area with both pumps on.  Close the cover and set the clean cycle, which runs pump 1 only for 10 minutes.  Only for weekly DiChlor shocking do I leave the cover open for 20-30 minutes.

You need to shock it once a week?  We weren't told to do that.

Astrid.

(only had tub since Oct. 7 and still learning the ropes)

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 07:58:17 am »
The second I get out I through my 2 tsp dichlor in the tub with the pumps on high.  When I'm done drying off and have my robe I close the cover and go in.  When shocking I leave it fully open for 15 mins.

Yes Astrid, you need to shock with Dichlor every 7-10 days depending on use.  

loneoak

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 08:11:29 am »
Even though there are always enough pucks in the bromine dispenser and the bromine level is good?

Astrid.

Anoroc

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 08:35:42 am »
Loneoak- you need to shock once every week.  There are a lot of posts on here explaining this.  I am surprised your dealer did not tell you this.  

I shock with 2-3 teaspoons of dichlor once per week.   I have a small tub and my maintenance dose when I step out of the tub is 1 teaspoon.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 08:36:56 am by anaroc »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 08:58:39 am »
Loneoak- you need to shock once every week.  There are a lot of posts on here explaining this.  I am surprised your dealer did not tell you this.  

I shock with 2-3 teaspoons of dichlor once per week.   I have a small tub and my maintenance dose when I step out of the tub is 1 teaspoon.

I was told once a week as well, but have been going longer lately.  ( I have a 350 gal tub using dichlor and ozone).  

It's my    understanding  that the "once a week"  is a general rule of thumb, I would think that shocking would be more of an function of how much the tub is used (# of people,  Leagth of time and # of soaks) ....no?

Given I use the tub 3 x week for half and hour and my lovely wife, perhaps 3 x a month, I've begun shocking about every 10 days.  

I am curious if there is a more accurate why of telling when I should shock?

« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 08:58:54 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 11:27:02 am »
Drewstar,

The most accurate way to determine when you need to shock is to test the water for free vs. combined chlorine.  Combined chlorine is the difference between total chlorine and free chlorine.  Ideally there should be no difference.  In reality there is usually a difference with combined chlorine building up with usage of the tub.  Combined chlorine is not doing any sanitizing and it is the stuff that gives off that objectionable chlorine odor.  Free chlorine is the stuff that kills the bugs and has little to no odor at all.

If you take a water sample to your dealer they can test and tell you if you need to shock.  Or you can use a Taylor test kit.  Or you can use the generally accepted practice of shocking once per week, which is a good rule of thumb.  Shock with approximately 5x-7x the amount of chlorine you use after each soak.  So if you use one or two teaspoons of dichlor after each soak, use approximately 2 or 3 tablespoons of dichlor once per week.  This is not very scientific, but it works for most people and for most hottubs.  

Regards,

Bill
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 11:27:23 am by Bill_Stevenson »

Anoroc

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 11:44:45 am »
Thanks Bill, that is more shock than I have been using but I feel it is better to be safe than sorry.  I will increase my shock from one tablespoon to two tablespoons.  

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 05:06:59 pm »
The technical time to shock is when the combined chlorine (total minus free) concentration is .2 ppm.  This is tough to measure with a test kit or test strips.  With my Taylor kit, I wait until I show zero free chlorine (so no pink), then add reagent for total chlorine.  If it turns pink at all, its time to shock; if it stays clear, I can wait.

A safe method is to shock weekly.  As a minimal dichlor user, I prefer MPS to shock, though I like to raise my free chlorine level to between 3 and 5 ppm once per week.

I leave my cover off for about five minutes after adding chlorine after use, fifteen to twenty minutes after shocking, nothing after adding other chems.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 05:09:44 pm by tony »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 05:06:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42