What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Icy steps  (Read 4735 times)

loneoak

• Perception is more important than reality
Icy steps
« on: December 19, 2005, 10:07:23 am »
Hi, I'm new here.  

We got our hot tub Oct. 7.  We live in Canada.  We love the hot tub and have used it every day since we got it - rain, snow, cold, whatever.  The worse the weather, the more we like it.

We couldn't figure out where to put it, so we put it in the back yard, a few feet past the deck.  This location is working well because it gives us a good view of the sky.

We have managed to solve most little problems as they crop up, but the icy steps has us stumped.

The wooden steps going into the hot tub get icy because we drip when we get out.  The water freezes.  We don't want to use ice melter because we don't want that stuff getting into to the tub.  Something on the steps to aid in traction would be the best remedy.  What to use is the question.

Does anyone else have this problem, and maybe an idea on how to deal with it?

Thanks,

Astrid.

Hot Tub Forum

Icy steps
« on: December 19, 2005, 10:07:23 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Icy steps
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 10:11:40 am »
If they are not too heavy, some folks bring them into the house to defrost. :)  I have plastic steps and do this.

My older tub had wood steps,  I'd  splash some water spa water on em to melt the ice and then dry em with an old towel. Had mixed results.

I've also know of folks who put up a hand rail on the tub to help people with slippery steps.

07 Caldera Geneva

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 02:47:04 pm »
Put a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet on them and bring that in to thaw and dry.
Retired

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 03:22:18 pm »
Hi loneoak....I'm in Calgary and use a piece of that rubber matting from Home Depot.  It's black with with big holes in it.  If you wanted to just do the steps, you could buy these black plastic tiles they also sell there that you can screw right into the wood.

Good luck

Mark

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 04:00:21 pm »
I use plastic steps that have grooves in them that take most of the water away.  If there is residual ice a shovel will scrape it off.  Wooden steps are definitely a no no in the winter.

loneoak

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 04:10:26 pm »
I like the steps with grooves idea - no work on our part!  Where would you get those?  I checked the Canadian Tire and Home Hardware catalogues and couldn't find them there.

Astrid.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 04:20:35 pm »
I use cooking salt if it's not too thick. It takes a while to work but it does work and you're using a little bit.

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 04:22:19 pm »
I got mine at my Marquis dealer with the spa.  They look these.  
http://www.poolandspa.com/catalog/product000687000097.cfm

I'm sure you can get them at a lot of places.

loneoak

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 11:28:55 am »
Problem solved!  I went to Home Depot and bought a "fatigue mat".  It is rubber, 3' X 3' and has round holes.  My husband cut it into 3 strips, and out one on each step and one just coming off the deck.  This seems to be doing the trick.

By the way, how do you add a picture to a post?

Astrid.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 11:34:26 am »
I was wondering why don't spa steps have drain holes or slots between the boards to allow for water run off?

loneleak:

1)  You first need to save the pic to your drive.

2) Then upload it to an image server (like image shack, it's free and they will walk you through it).  It takes a total of 2 seconds to do this.   BTW it's : imageshack.com

Once the image is uploaded, they will show you the  HTTP address for the  pic.  (something like http://www.imageshack.Arjunaisinsane.jpg)  

4) Now,  open up a comments window here in the forum.

Above  the Comments window click on the 4th  Button from the left on the bottom row of the toolbar (right above the smiley faces) It's an icon of a pic

clicking this button will automaticly add some brackets in your comments window.

cut and paste your pics HTTP address between the brackets:    [ img ]   Htttp//www. mubble mubble.jpg  [ / img]

Success!

It's easier than it sounds.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 11:50:03 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

loneoak

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 11:47:40 am »
O.K., thanks, I try this later.

Astrid.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 11:47:40 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42