What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: On a Very Fixed Budget - Bought a E-bay Spa  (Read 10259 times)

richny

On a Very Fixed Budget - Bought a E-bay Spa
« on: October 10, 2005, 08:38:01 am »
Hi All-
I have been reading this forum for some time and think its great. We are on a very fixed budget and I bought a spa on e-bay since I could never afford the minimum $7500 spa my local dealers quoted me.

Does anyone know anthing about  Serenity Spa's?

I know I am going to get flamed for buying something sight unseen..but it was either that or never have a hot tub. I bought it for $2400 plus shipping.

I understand the risk of service, problems, etc..but like I said...it was either take the chance or not have one. I have my choice of colors and options.  Here are its specifications:
Dimensions 92" x 92" x 36.5"
Height 36.5"  
Gallon Capacity 450 Gallons
Seating Capacity 6
Portable  
Turbo Jets yes
Stacked Whirly Jets Yes
Calf and Foot Jets Yes
Neck, Back and Shoulder Jets Yes
Total Hydrotherapy Jets 83
Interchangeable Jets Yes
Energy Consumption  Low  
Number of Pumps (2) 5-HP 230V Pumps
Number of Filters (1) 100-Sq. Ft. Filter
Cover Deluxe Cover Included Made from High Quality Marine Grade Vinyl with Locking Buckles; 3.5" to 2.5" Taper
Service Panel  Located Under Keypad for Easy Access to Wiring
UL Listed Yes
Overheat Protection Yes
Dual-Freeze Protection Yes
Non-Skid Footwell Yes
Volts/Amps 220V 60 Amp/5.5 Kilowatt Heater/6-3 Gauge Wiring
Surface Slip-Resistant Acrylic
Construction Vinyl-Ester-Coated with Multilayer Fiberglass
Frame Ridged Wood Frame with Solid Base
Reinforcement Multilayer Fiberglass; High-Density Foam Insulation Applied to Acrylic Shell
Structural Warranty 10 Years
Surface Warranty 5 Years
Plumbing Warranty 5 Years
Equipment Warranty 2 Years
Labor Warranty 1 Year

So how bad of a mistake did I make?
thanks
Rich

Hot Tub Forum

On a Very Fixed Budget - Bought a E-bay Spa
« on: October 10, 2005, 08:38:01 am »

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
Re: On a Very Fixed Budget - Bought a E-bay Spa
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 11:07:36 am »
Congratulations on your new spa. You have taken into account the negatives of buying sight unseen. If you get 5-10 years of enjoyment from your purchase it will have been a good investment. If none of us had budgets we would all be driving around in Cadillacs. Keep us posted on your purchase experience.

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 11:15:34 am »
Structural Warranty 10 Years  
Surface Warranty 5 Years  
Plumbing Warranty 5 Years  
Equipment Warranty 2 Years  
Labor Warranty 1 Year  

Do you have a service provider in your area willing/able to honor the warranty?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 11:30:48 am »
So how bad of a mistake did I make?
thanks
Rich

At your budget it was either a used spa or this type if you wanted a full sized unit. Both have a certain amount of risk (as do all spas) but it may not be a mistake at all. It's not a premium spa but it wasn't a premium price either. Some people have good luck on these type spas and some don't. I doubt the warranty is very usable (ask them who is their service provider, get a number and call it) so you'll end up being your own service person if I had to bet (I hope you're a "handy" person). Hook it up, fill it up and enjoy.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

richny

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 01:05:55 pm »
thanks for the input...will be choosing colors today

spazman

• Soaking in my "modified" '98 Sundance Corum!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 01:01:24 am »
The biggest risk you're taking in my opinion is whether you will have a usable warranty. But, I agree you need to inquire on who will be your service provider should you need them.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 08:55:49 am »
Another risk would be that you don't like the spa once it's powered up because you didn't get a wet test or demo before you bought.  On the other hand, it may end up being perfectly acceptable to you.  I guess at your price range, I'd be less picky on stuff like that than I was when I was shopping.
Brewman

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 09:43:32 am »
I think as long as you know what you are getting for your money and what the risks are, then great and enjoy!

This forum is made up mostly of owners and dealers of the big 5, so i look forward to your input and will provide a lot of value as people discuss price points and what yuo get for the money.

Did you get Steps? Ozinator? IS the tub full foam? Also, where are you located? (is this going to be an outside, winter tub?)

;D
07 Caldera Geneva

SpaMan

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 09:54:00 am »
Congratulations!!!!! I agree with all the points here as who is the servicer and whats their track record? Will you "enjoy" the tub for years to come? Many people who buy these basic tubs do get bored with them, however I am the same guy that has never been in a hottub I didnt like, so you most probable will love it. Further how much was shipping? and do you have the buddies to install it or do you have to pay for that too? These are just some questions I would have considered. If you have already baught it take pride in ownership my friend it should fit your expectations well!

richny

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 03:47:09 pm »
Thank you all for the great input. I have recently finalized the order. I had them add the ozonator and sub zero insulation on the inside of the panels....this was at a minimal cost. It will be onyx with a grey cabinet.  I spoke at length with the seller...really nice. The warranty seems straight up...but won't know that until I have a problem.. I guess. She answered all my questions about issues they have had and any things to look out for. You can not beat the price...with everything ...including tub, shipping, ozonator, extra insulation...$3100. ..it will be here in about 5 -6 weeks. That will give me enough time to build the concrete pad. ;D

Lablover2004

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 03:50:00 pm »
Good Luck,

Please keep up posted, I am curious to find out.

I also had a srict budget but was too chicken to consider ebay.

I hope you will enjoy your spa

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 04:31:50 pm »
I had them add the ozonator and sub zero insulation on the inside of the panels....this was at a minimal cost.

Even with this added insulation I would be vary wary of how well it's insulated based on others experiences. You might consider opening it up and if it is not too well insulated like I imagine, you could look to add to it fairly easily and at not too much cost BEFORE you get that first eye opening electric bill.

The warranty seems straight up...but won't know that until I have a problem.. I guess.

That is true, time will tell. There is nothing they can say over the phone that would make me feel more confident. I hate to be a doubter but I question whether you'll have much luck here but time will tell and you seem to be going into it with your eyes open.

220, 221, whatever it takes!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 05:35:28 pm »
Interesting it costs more money to add insulation. on another board this was brought up to Jim and of course he says no, Yet every consumer knows if its an option it is a up charge for full foam or adding foam.

cappykat

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 05:46:08 pm »
Richny...please keep us updated once you get your spa.  Really interested in knowing how it turns out for you.
2005 Marquis Epic

richny

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2005, 08:47:26 pm »
Sure will...we are looking foward to our first soak.  :D

To my surprise and pleasure I was already contacted by the people that perform the warranty service on the hot tub ....that was a good feeling...knowing that I would have a local person for assistance.  

Thanks all.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2005, 08:47:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42