What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Enzyme Feedback  (Read 5791 times)

hamrhed

• "Hard Tellin" "Not Knowin"
Enzyme Feedback
« on: December 21, 2005, 09:49:50 am »
Does anyone have any input on that enzyme additive?

I have used it for a month now.  I will finish the bottle in another month. As it is approx $20 / qt. I don't know if i will continue use...   cost per gain value

The lady at the spa store (Nice Lady) said "the water feels so much better, don't you think?"... I said yes,,, but i don't really know??? I have no base line to compare it too..

But at eighty bucks a gallon I can purchase some fine "sippin" liquor...

Anybody have any pros or cons on this stuff...

Hot Tub Forum

Enzyme Feedback
« on: December 21, 2005, 09:49:50 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Enzyme Feedback
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 10:05:51 am »
Do you have a brand name?

I was given an enzyme product with my inital chem kit that I belive is used to treat "scum". I 've never used it, and wondered what the difference was between this and a clairifier? (I know the enzyme breaks protien down, and the clarifier helps clump,  but a more pratical  definition would help me in understanding the dif.)
07 Caldera Geneva

hamrhed

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 10:16:48 am »
Drewstar,

The product i have is,, SpaGuard    Natural Spa Enzyme...

It gives no chemical list... on label

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 10:22:09 am »
Drewstar,

The product i have is,, SpaGuard    Natural Spa Enzyme...

It gives no chemical list... on label

I've got a bottle of that sitting in my spa cabinet!  

It is described as:
Natural enzyme formulation for use in spas and hot tubs. Helps break down organic contaminants, scum formation and odor. Water is clearer and overall experience is enhanced. Helps prevent oily buildup on filter(s).

This is the stuff I spoke about in my previous post.   I don't use it  and am unsure of what is does different than the clearifiers that are sold.

Anyone know?
??? ???
07 Caldera Geneva

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 10:40:44 am »
And another description of this product from an online dealer:

Natural Spa Enzyme

Eliminates oils before they collect at the waterline or clog the filter. Natural Spa Enzyme "digests" and converts them into carbon dioxide and other easy to remove compounds so the waterline and the filter can go longer between cleanings.

and a material  saftey data sheet tells us it's a "vegitable enzme derriative"  fwiw.

A few other sites say similliar things. It breaks down oils.
Some online dealers seem to recomend it  as part of your weekly chem routine.  

Meh.  As I said, I haven't  never used it, and struck me as unecesary unless one was having a specifc problem.  

07 Caldera Geneva

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 10:52:13 am »
I used a similar Enzyme product during my first water fill.  The water went south after about a month.  I am on my second water fill (almost 3 months now) and have not used it and have no problems.  This is not scientific because I also switched to using a N2 cartridge.  My dealer started me using Dichlor, Clarifier, Enzyme and Stain/Scale remover.  This did not go well. I switched to Dichlor (about ½ of what I was using before), N2 cartridge, Stain/Scale remover and Clarifier.  Not sure if I need the Clarifier but the system is working so I am not taking any chances.  Here is my routine with N2, this is based on a lot of help from this forum, my tub is 400 gallons.

Daily after each soak – 1 teaspoon Dichlor
Weekly shock – 2 Tablespoon Dichlor
Wednesday – Stain and Scale remover
Friday – Calrifier

Weekly hose of filter
Monthly soak filter over night in cleaner ( I have two filter so I rotate)

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 04:38:14 pm »
The first year I owned my spa, I used LeisureTime Scum Gon.  I discontinued because of the cost.  I am now back to using it and its not because I have a lot of oils, etc in my water.  Its hard to describe, but it keeps everything fresh.  Even the filter and the scum bug stay cleaner.  The water just seems better.

At 2 oz per week, three bottles last a year.  I don't think it costs me $20.00 per qt.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 04:58:53 pm »
I have used spa perfect in the past. It worked great but added to my foam problem. I wanted to continue using it since it really took the scum line away but after putting the weekly dose in I got more foam that was there originally.

Doc sells some weekly enzymes and I was planning on getting a bottle on my next purchase to see how it goes.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 05:14:31 pm »
I have never used Spa Perfect, but the foam issue is well noted.  I am using the Leisure Time product...I believe they just call it Spa Enzyme now.  I've never had a foam problem from it.  As a matter of fact, it should help with foam problems.

hamrhed

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 05:39:20 pm »
Tony
the product i'm using (Spa Guard Natural Enzyme) costs $18.26 per Qt and the recommended dose is 1\2 Cup per week. At that rate it goes quick.

You say you like your product and it sounds like you use much less?
I might look into that... sounds like a better value

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 01:00:21 pm »
I use the Leisure Time Enzyme.  I'm sure Doc sells it at his site rhtubs.com.  Two oz per week or every other week if you wish.

hamrhed

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 01:08:27 pm »

Thanks Tony...

Might make a good stocking stuffer... ::)

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 04:36:23 pm »
I use Leisure Time Enzymes works great! I put in two ounces per week and we have really good luck with it keeping the scum bubbles out of the tub!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 04:36:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42