What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Drinkin' and tubin'?  (Read 9326 times)

Snowbird

• What did he say?
Drinkin' and tubin'?
« on: December 17, 2005, 08:28:45 pm »
Although not a problem drinker, I have done some pretty serious drinking in my younger days (late 60's & early 70's) when in college (I flunked out :( ) and the Navy (Tonkin Gulf - where you went in 1967 when you flunked out due to partying  ::) ).

I limited myself to social drinking in 1974 when I became a father and more so in 1985 when I got a job that required random drug & alcohol testing.  I never drink any alcohol unless on days off.

Because I am a big guy, it usually takes 3 serious screwdrivers drunk quickly to get a buzz on.  (I am an expensive drunk. :'( )

The tub produces the same effect with only 2 drinks. ;D  Maybe I need to re-think what I am doing in our new tub.  :-/  If I died in the tub it would ruin it for TLOML.

How do all of you handle drinkin' and tubin'?
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Hot Tub Forum

Drinkin' and tubin'?
« on: December 17, 2005, 08:28:45 pm »

J._McD

Re: Drinkin' and tubin'?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 09:27:59 pm »
You sit and soak in the late hours of the evening counting the stars and you get a "Natural" buzz without the alcohol.  Strangley enough, you will begin to wonder if you really need the other buzz amplifiers.

Alcohol and Hot Water don't really mix well.  You are dealing with temperatures at 102° to 104° and the alcohol level in your blood stream.  They could get you into big trouble and the natural tendency is to think you can handle it, but unfortunatel you can loose control to the point of helplessness.

Hot Tubs are not good for heavy drinking.

NJDave

• It's just more fun to be in hot water!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 09:31:13 pm »
Water Temperature is big part part of the equation. At 104 degrees,  2 beers can feel like a six pack. At 99-100 degrees, 2 may feel like 2-4 beers. The acohol thins your blood, as does sitting in maximum temp setings like 104 degrees or more, which will increase you body temp. 104 is fine, if you like it hot, but not with alcohol. If you must drink before or during your sit in the tub, then consider dropping the temp to 98-100. it is still a risk, but less of a risk. Sorry, to be such a party pooper. Dave.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 07:25:21 am »
We love to entertain (this includes Alcohol) in our hot tub. Yes you seem to get buzzed faster but we have never had a problem. We use 101 as our temp and we seem to be able to handle it no problem.
Retired

Markus

• HS Vanguard 2005
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 07:44:46 am »
The difference for me is...whether I'm alone in the tub or with someone. I usually only have 2 or 3 drinks if I'm going to be in the tub and if I'm talking with someone else I feel tired/sleepy but it's manageable. The problem for me is that when I mix alcohol with 100 degree temp's... I feel dangerously sleepy when I'm using it alone. So I try not to drink and soak.  (O.K. maybe just one drink).

J._McD

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 12:35:40 pm »
The difference for me is...whether I'm alone in the tub or with someone. I usually only have 2 or 3 drinks if I'm going to be in the tub and if I'm talking with someone else I feel tired/sleepy but it's manageable. The problem for me is that when I mix alcohol with 100 degree temp's... I feel dangerously sleepy when I'm using it alone. So I try not to drink and soak.  (O.K. maybe just one drink).

This is really an extreme situation, but there was a death in a Hot Tub related to alcohol.  The person was found in the tub and had drowned, alcohol was considered a contributing factor.  

Alcohol in the blood along with the heat and circulation was presumed to make the person "unable" to exit before being overcome, thus slipping below water and nobody else there to help.

Although this is extreme, it did happen, let's only make it once though.  

I't kind of like don't drink and drive,  We know that is not good.  So the best recommendation is moderation.

After all, the Hot Tub is for relaxation instead of alcohol.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 12:36:44 pm by J._McD »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 09:01:00 am »
 I usually bring out 1 beer with me when I am out in the tub and I soak for about 1/2 hour.  

When I entertain in the hot tub, usually everyone  grabs a drink when they are sitting in the tub.  It's usually beer and wine.  Most folks soak for 30-45 minutes, which is usally enough time for 1, maybe 2 drinks.  

My biggest concern is people falling/tripping when comming out of the tub.  The heat, the booze, the change in temperature, icey steps, can be disorientating for folks and hazzardous.
07 Caldera Geneva

salesdvl

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 09:34:07 am »
I play it the same as Drew.  However, there have been times that I have the stewardess ( my wife) bring me another as she is comng out the door.   ;)
Measure once, cut twice.

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 04:05:47 pm »
Its funny I thought there was a lot of drinking and sex with a hot tub.  But it seems as its bottled water and "thats why we have a king size bed"

salesdvl

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 05:31:17 pm »
You have a king size bed.?   :o     Cool.    ;D
Measure once, cut twice.

upinya

• Full Hard Bites
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 06:26:35 pm »
 Smoke weed and there are no worries.

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 08:11:17 pm »
upinya,

Does it burn when it's wet?  ;D
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

blizzard

• Always gettin in to HOT water
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2005, 08:18:19 pm »
No worries till you go to work the next morning and they decide to do a random drug test. :-[  So there goes my job and the ability to make payments on the hot tub. Who cares about the house or the car, one thing for sure they won't be takin the tub. It'the only thing worth fightin for.  ;D  
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 08:42:35 am by blizzard »

blizzard

• Always gettin in to HOT water
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2005, 08:46:26 am »
When I was younger, we used to do alot a drinkin when we went tubin. That way when we hit a tree or didn't land on the tube after making a jump it didn't hurt so bad :D

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2005, 10:50:17 am »
Don't drink alcohol in the hot tub.  It is dangerous and immoral.  You shouldn't be discussing such blatantly lascivious activities in this forum.  Keep your pH balanced and your sanitizer levels appropriate.  Clean your filter using the filter cleaner recommended by your dealer.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2005, 10:50:17 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42