What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: About ready to pull the trigger........  (Read 10455 times)

razoruk

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
About ready to pull the trigger........
« on: December 14, 2005, 09:09:14 pm »
We have done a lot of research, both here and at other forums and are looking closely at two Spa's.

1) Caldera Tahitian Utopia
2) Sundance Cameo

We've been to every dealer in the Boise, ID area ( many initially before visiting forums) and had our shortlist down to about 5 dealers.
We were also looking at the Hotspring Sovereign,  Calspa (I know, I Know :o) CA51, and the Marquis Epic.

The dealers for the Hotspring and Marquis put me off completely. The Marquis dealer is a building merchant and was very quick to do the for $500 we can lock you into today's special price.......... I ran, ran for the next dealer as quick as I could.......

Hotspring, the dealer was just too quick to point out the flaws of all of the other spas on the market, rather than let his product sell itself. I also wasn't overly impressed with the moto-massage on the spas, just wasn't for me.

Calspa - Research led me to steer clear of these spas and they were ruled out completely without blinking an eye. For an investment in relaxation, I want to go with a manufacturer that I can trust to back their product.

I like the look of both the spas that we have it narrowed down to and all that is left now is for me to arrange the wet tests of them. I've yet to get in a spa that I haven't liked, but don't want to drop the $$$ on an untested spa.

As for dealers, I really really liked the Caldera dealer, he spent well over 45 minutes with us (ignoring any other distractions such as cell phone etc) going over the features of the spas, going over maintenance and gave me a real good indication that he knows his product extremely well.  It transpired later on in the conversation that he was the one that serviced them in our area as well - no wonder he knew what he was talking about!

He was also the only dealer in the area that actually was willing to say that other spas were very good and that any choice we made between a Caldera, Sundance or a Hotsprings would not be a mistake.

On top of that the dealer was willing to point out the flaws in his own spa rather than his competitors. I found this a very refreshing approach to the sales pitch and has built my trust in him over most of his competitors.

Prior to the wet test I am swinging towards the Caldera. After the wet test who knows, loungers may or may not be for me. If sowe'll look at the similar models without the lounger.

Thanks for listening and any thoughts or advice would be welcomed. 8)

Hot Tub Forum

About ready to pull the trigger........
« on: December 14, 2005, 09:09:14 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: About ready to pull the trigger........
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 09:16:06 pm »
Prior to the wet test I am swinging towards the Caldera. After the wet test who knows, loungers may or may not be for me. If sowe'll look at the similar models without the lounger.

Thanks for listening and any thoughts or advice would be welcomed. 8)

After reading your post there isn't much advice needed you seem to be on top of things. If you know you're looking at a quality spa the next step is certainly to be confident in your dealer (you seem to be in the 2 you're considering) and then wet test.

One thing to add. I agree that most spas feel nice in a wet test but you're not really looking for which one doesn't feel good as much as you're looking for one to slap you upside the head and say "Pick me". I do belirve the wet test will quickly resolve your Lounge/No Lounge question.

Let us know how it goes.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 09:52:23 pm »
Just a note .....sometimes "todays deal" REALLY is todays deal......Marquis for example just had a price increase and if the dealer was locking in a price for you before the increase he may have been being very sincere with you....Good luck with what ever spa you choose.

razoruk

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 10:41:20 pm »
 Mendeocino101 - I understand what you are saying but it's a relatively new dealer, they specialize in building materials and sub contract out their spa work. It just didn't feel right for me, especially within 12 minutes of being there he was trying to lock me into a deal.

Reliability of warranty and the dealer combined is what is probably going to sway my decision on a purchase like this.

None of this is to say I didn't like the Marquis spas, I just wasn't convinced the dealer would be there 3 years down the line if I needed him.

I'm just glad I found this forum as there was so much invaluable information around that has assisted me in finding the quality over the flashy gadgets, and it also has shown me how important it is to have a dealer you can rely on.

Having done further research on the Caldera dealer in the area, they've been here for 15 years and have sold the Caldera's for the last 7 of them, having dropped previous lines they sold for what they percieved as quality issues.
They are a family owned business, with family employees throughout. I just get the feeling they are in it for the long haul. I find that just a very comforting feeling going into the final stages of a fairly good purchase like this.:)

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 11:51:43 pm »
None of this is to say I didn't like the Marquis spas, I just wasn't convinced the dealer would be there 3 years down the line if I needed him.

I'm a Sundance owner and I love our Optima.  Bottom line though is that a quality spa is going to be a quality spa.  Our Sundance dealer went under 6 months after we purchased but a year has gone by and we've had no problems as it's a quality spa.  There's another dealer in the area now that can do service if needed.  The high end companies like Marquis in this case will look after you if you have a problem down the line.   It's easy for me to say that you'd be happy with the Cameo as I know you would be but I wouldn't be so quick to be throwing out a company like Marquis especially if you actually like one of their spas.  As long as you purchase a brand with a good reputation make sure it's the spa that YOU want...  Even if you're not happy with the Marquis dealer if the Epic is a spa you like (or the HotSpring Sovereign) then give them as much consideration as the Caldera or Sundance.  All the top spas are good quality and the companies stand by their product.  Buy the one that FITS you the best.
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 01:53:00 am »
Bulmer4nc,

I agree with you, that is one of the reasons to go with a major brand, The maker stands behind the product, no different than a car or a major appliance, etc. weather it be a major chain store or a local Mom and Pop type place if they close thier doors your warranty is still backed by the maker. I think the dealer here for Marquis might have been to quick to try and push for a deal without really earning Razoruk business.  Razoruk  if after your looking you like the Epic than I say go with it or as mentioned any of the spas you are looking are all made by the most commonly recognized leaders in the industry and each have earned the rep by the way they treat people.

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 07:29:53 am »
I've owned a Sundance Cameo for 6 months now.  I love it and wouldn't change a thing.  

I also had my list narrowed down to some of the same tubs that you have mentioned.  Once we really got in the tubs, we were able to tell which one was really comfortable for us so it was an easy decision after that.

You are doing the right thing by wet testing.  It will be an easy choice once you wet test because the best tub for you will be the one that fits you best.

razoruk

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 08:50:37 am »
Bulmer4nc,

I think the dealer here for Marquis might have been to quick to try and push for a deal without really earning Razoruk business.  

That's exactly as it felt to both me and my wife, I'd already told him that we were looking to buy about a month down the line (once we finished a refinancing) and he was just way too pushy. I've walked away from cars that I really want for that same reason. If you have a good product, it'll sell itself. Maybe I'll go back and try and talk to them again and see how it goes a second time around before discounting them from the list.

The other concern is that their speciality is the building field, where as all other dealers sell spas and spas alone.

There are so many good spas it's hard to narrow them down. Here you guys are widening my search out again. ;D

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 11:00:19 am »

The other concern is that their speciality is the building field, where as all other dealers sell spas and spas alone.

It wouldn't hurt to give them a second shot but I would defintely lean toward one of the dealers with experience that has it's main efforts geared toward the spa end rather than the spas being their secondary product.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 11:04:25 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Soakin

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 11:25:32 am »
...Even if you're not happy with the Marquis dealer if the Epic is a spa you like (or the HotSpring Sovereign) then give them as much consideration as the Caldera or Sundance.
Most of the posts on this forum make a big deal about being comfortable with your dealer, their ability to help you and provide service after the sale, and that they will be there for you down the road.  It appeared to me that your original post shows you have things figured out.  "Trust the force.":)

Mendo, if the brands had been reversed, would you still have supported considering the spa with the "bad dealer"?

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 11:37:32 am »
He was also the only dealer in the area that actually was willing to say that other spas were very good and that any choice we made between a Caldera, Sundance or a Hotsprings would not be a mistake.

On top of that the dealer was willing to point out the flaws in his own spa rather than his competitors. I found this a very refreshing approach to the sales pitch and has built my trust in him over most of his competitors.

That, my friends, is a very sharp sales professional.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

bulmer4nc

• Now a Canes Fan.
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 11:41:10 am »
Most of the posts on this forum make a big deal about being comfortable with your dealer, their ability to help you and provide service after the sale, and that they will be there for you down the road.  It appeared to me that your original post shows you have things figured out.  "Trust the force.":)

Mendo, if the brands had been reversed, would you still have supported considering the spa with the "bad dealer"?

When we were looking and starting on this board the consensus was that going with a reputible dealer was almost a must.   We did just that.  We bought a Sundance with a dealer that had been in the area for 15 to 20 years and had a great reputation.  Who would have predicted that 6 months later they would be gone...

I think it is likely more important to go with a dealer you trust if you are wanting to purchase a tub that is from a smaller manufacturer or one that doesn't have a great reputation...  So, if you do have problems there will be someone local that can help you.

In the case of Sundance, HotSpring, Marquis, etc... I think these companies have been around a long time and even if there is not a 'local' dealer there that can help if there are problems, they just seem to find a way to help you anyway.  They have the good reputations for a reason.  They stand by their product and for the most part have great customer service.

I'm not saying that having a good local dealer isn't important but if you're looking at purchasing a spa from one of the bigger companies then I think it's LESS important.  I think what is more important is that the customer purchases the spa that they feel the most comfortable with.  It has to the right fit for them and they need to be comfortable with the level of server they get after the fact.  I think that regardless of the local dealer you should expect a high level of service if you purchase from companies like HotSpring, Sundance, Marquis, Jacuzzi, etc...

Maybe I'm way off base... Who knows.  I just know that even though you may 'think' your local dealer is going to be around and provide you the best service it may not always be the case.  How would we have guessed that the dealer in our area that had been around the longest would have ended up closing their doors...

Ken
Home of the Stanley Cup Champions!!!

Soakin

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 11:52:07 am »
...I'm not saying that having a good local dealer isn't important but if you're looking at purchasing a spa from one of the bigger companies then I think it's LESS important...
I really don't want to belabor the point, and obviously your experience demonstrates the exception to the trust your dealer rule, if there is one.  However, extrapolating this "bigger company, dealer less important" theory:  If HotSpring or Sundance were to start selling spas on the internet, would you recommend bypassing a local dealer to save some money? ???

J._McD

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 12:50:28 pm »
We have done a lot of research, both here and at other forums and are looking closely at two Spa's.
1) Caldera Tahitian Utopia
2) Sundance Cameo
We've been to every dealer in the Boise, ID area ( many initially before visiting forums) and had our shortlist down to about 5 dealers.
We were also looking at the Hotspring Sovereign,  Calspa (I know, I Know :o) CA51, and the Marquis Epic.

Razoruk, I seems you have done your shopping.  I don’t think you mentioned a single bad choice, although one has some bad history to overcome.  I feel the product is very important, as well as the manufacturer and I feel the dealer is also a very important part of the process and should be a consideration, however I also agree with Bulmer4nc,

When we were looking and starting on this board the consensus was that going with a reputible dealer was almost a must.   We did just that.  We bought a Sundance with a dealer that had been in the area for 15 to 20 years and had a great reputation.  Who would have predicted that 6 months later they would be gone...Ken

You are making a purchase decision in the present time and you are unknowing as to what the future holds.  We all deal with this in everyday life.  Your analysis leads me to believe if you were to make your decision right now, it would be Caldera and that would be good.  However, ask the open forum for an opinion and all of their comments are intended to be helpful in your decision making process.

Right now, I think you should make a trip to review your impressions.  We haven’t mentioned price, which is a guiding factor as well, so go with your intuition, you have to live with it we don’t.  And I am here to tell you, when you get it delivered, set up and you and your loved one are soaking in Hot Water, you are going to forget about all of this confusion and you are going to mutter to yourself, why did I wait so long to make this decision”.

Get ready to pop for it.  Set your mind on the Caldera, go shopping and confirm it.  Visit your Caldera dealer and tell him your ready unless your review leads you elsewhere.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 02:59:35 pm »

Here's my point...I was in agreement with bulmer4nc that in the end even if your dealer turns out to be something less than you had thought...the maker of the spa will stand behind it....that there is no guarantee that a dealer who appears to be good today and in fact very well is....will always be there tomorrow....just ask bulmer4nc or our highly esteemed moderato Bill ....as bulmer4nc pointed out and I agreed with that when dealing with one of the major brands...should your dealer close you will not be left out in the cold...they will still find a way to service you....

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 02:59:35 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42