What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First Month's Electric Bill  (Read 9786 times)

cappykat

First Month's Electric Bill
« on: November 29, 2005, 05:10:00 pm »
Got our first bill with the hot-tub.  Just for electric it was $112.12. The previous month was $138.98 but we were using the a/c more.
A more accurate picture is our 2004 bill for the same time period was $86.79.  So it looks like it is costing us $25.33 a month with the hot-tub.  That seems pretty high to me.  Cost per KWH is .08261 for first 1,000 and then .09261 thereafter.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 05:11:02 pm by cappykat »
2005 Marquis Epic

Hot Tub Forum

First Month's Electric Bill
« on: November 29, 2005, 05:10:00 pm »

Brookenstein

Re: First Month's Electric Bill
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 05:17:28 pm »
Cappy, I would guess this month is higher than most will be because you had to completely heat the water twice.  I would guess that should make some difference... maybe?  What do I know, I have an empty tub sitting in the yard and still have a $220 electric bill.

cappykat

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 05:19:58 pm »
That could very well be...I hope that's the case.  So when do you think you'll have yours up and running?
2005 Marquis Epic

Brookenstein

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 05:22:57 pm »
Electrician is due here at 4.  He still has to hook up the box as we didn't have it in advance, and then he has to run the wire from the box to the spa... so depending how long it takes him to do it, we will have water in it tonight, but it might not be warm until morning.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 05:56:22 pm »
I hear customers take on electirc bills quite frequently, here in the store and on forums like these. Usually its a year over year comparison, much like you are making now cappy. Some customers are elated the bill was only $5 more. Others worried it is $45 more. Some even find the bill is lower than last year, does this mean the tub gave back electricity?

It is very difficult to guage electrical consumption on your tub without actually attaching a meter to your wire going to your tub.

Was the rate for electricity the same on last years bill?

Were all other electrical appliances being used the same amount last year? Computers, TV, stereos, furnace, oven, dishwasher, washing machine, dryer....etc etc.

Dont panic. I am quite certain your tub is not an energy hog.

There are ways of testing, but comparing bills year over year has far too many variables to be considered an acurate comparison, in my humble opinion. :-/
Homeworks Financing Representative

cappykat

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 06:07:37 pm »
I agree with you hottubman.  I pretty much already figured out that there are too many variables.  In fact, last year's rate was lower...by a penny per KWH.  

I think it's HS that guarantees its spas won't cost more than $15?? per month.  But yes, you're right, there are too many things that vary from month to month, year to year.  It's still worth having the hot-tub.
2005 Marquis Epic

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 06:15:20 pm »
I think it's HS that guarantees its spas won't cost more than $15?? per month.

Yep, as long as you do not connect the spa to an electrical service.  I know of no other spa company that will stand behind it's product to that extent.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 06:54:13 pm »
I agree with you hottubman.  I pretty much already figured out that there are too many variables.  In fact, last year's rate was lower...by a penny per KWH.  

I think it's HS that guarantees its spas won't cost more than $15?? per month.  But yes, you're right, there are too many things that vary from month to month, year to year.  It's still worth having the hot-tub.

Show me where Hot springs guarantees this cost....how could use not affect it the cost if it was at say a collage dorm and was hardly ever off.....is it still 15.00 bucks.....25.00 with 2 fills is not bad at all....for 450 gal....also most people seem to have extra use during the first few months.....

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 07:24:20 pm »
Cappykat,

I wish I was only paying $.08 KwH. I live in Southern California and my electric company charges about $.18 per KwH with the extra penalties for going over our allotment.  We are only allowed 351 KwH and then they hammer us.  It's still the best money we've ever spent though.  I think I will try to change out all our light fixtures to florescent to offset the charges.

Got our first bill with the hot-tub. ?Just for electric it was $112.12. The previous month was $138.98 but we were using the a/c more.
A more accurate picture is our 2004 bill for the same time period was $86.79. ?So it looks like it is costing us $25.33 a month with the hot-tub. ?That seems pretty high to me. ?Cost per KWH is .08261 for first 1,000 and then .09261 thereafter.

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

cappykat

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 05:47:32 pm »
Wow...I have no room to complain and actually I wasn't.  I've heard all the problems CA has with their utilities...why is that? Why is CA so expensive?

Term...what do you mean electrical service?  What...HS will guarantee $15 a month as long as you don't have any service...meaning the thing is OFF!!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 05:48:43 pm by cappykat »
2005 Marquis Epic

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 05:53:37 pm »
Wow...I have no room to complain and actually I wasn't.  I've heard all the problems CA has with their utilities...why is that? Why is CA so expensive?

Term...what do you mean electrical service?  What...HS will guarantee $15 a month as long as you don't have any service...meaning the thing is OFF!!

We guarantee LESS than $15 a month, as long as you do not attempt to connect the spa to an electric service.  Find anyone else who'll make that claim!

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 06:02:44 pm »

I think he was joking....... but  most HotSprings will run $15-$20 pm

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 06:11:13 pm »
Some even find the bill is lower than last year, does this mean the tub gave back electricity? :-/

Only  if it is DAIT equipped.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2005, 06:29:28 pm »
Why is CA so expensive?

Isn't the high price in California due to the high population / consumption and shortfalls in production resulting in electricity being imported at high cost?  I know that a few years back, electricity in my area was de-regulated, and suppliers were selling to California for huge profits.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2005, 06:51:14 pm »
Why is CA so expensive?

It's because they can get away with it.

If the prices of things went high in Wisconsin everyone would just leave the state but people like living in California too much so they get 'em while they can.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 07:47:15 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2005, 06:51:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42